PDA

View Full Version : Computer and program help

ha98ed14
09-07-2009, 06:40 PM
When I bought my laptop from Dell, I asked them to pre-load Microsoft Office on it for me. I paid Dell for the programs. They did and I have used Word, ppt, excel, etc, without problems for the past 2.5 years, since I have had my computer. When they shipped the computer, it did NOT come with the CDs that would have Microsoft Office on it, like you would get if you bought the program in a box at a store.

I am getting a little netbook. I want to be able to use my Microsoft office on that netbook, or even just use word and ppt. I don't need excel or anything else. I believe that when I paid Dell for to load Office, I was supposed to go to a website or something to download the programs and save them to a CD in case I ever needed to reinstall them on this computer, my laptop.

Does anyone know:
1) If you bought the programs through Dell and they were preloaded on your computer, are you allowed to use the program on another PC?

2) Where do you go to download the programs to save them to a CD so you can have a back up copy if you ever need to reinstall it on your current (or future, if allowed) PC?

TIA for any help!

khm
09-07-2009, 06:44 PM
When I bought several Dells for work, I signed up for an account with their website. I entered in my serial numbers and it knew everything that came with the laptops, even what peripherals I bought at the same time (printer).

I'd go to Dell.com and sign up using your serial and see if you can download the programs. If not, call their 800 number with your serial handy.

I'm not sure, though, if you'll be able to install the programs on more than one computer.....?

3blackcats
09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I believe that the Microsoft License Agreement states that you can only install the one copy you own on one computer. The serial number would not be able to be installed on more than one machine. Years ago you could, but now with Microsoft updates I believe they validate your software every time you connect to the internet.

Random thought: I believe in past threads you mentioned that your DH is a teacher. He can get educational pricing on software. So, you would be able to buy a copy of Office fairly cheap.

LMPC
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think you would be able to install them on your new netbook. I think this is what they do to stop people using multiple copies of the same software on different machines. Argh, I know! Have you looked into any open source software? I use "openoffice" and have never ever had a problem with opening or reading or editing any office files. I believe that you just download it free from the web. It's awesome!

Gena
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I believe that the Microsoft License Agreement states that you can only install the one copy you own on one computer. The serial number would not be able to be installed on more than one machine. Years ago you could, but now with Microsoft updates I believe they validate your software every time you connect to the internet.

It depends on what version and what level you have. The Microsoft Office 2007 Home & Student Version allows you to install the software on 3 computers using a single license. It includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote and cannot be used for commercial purposes.

kijip
09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
We lost our disks from our last version of MS Office for Mac and Microsoft sent replacements.

Unless you have a specific version with a multiple computer license, you will not be able to use it on your netbook too (unless you are retiring the laptop).