PDA

View Full Version : This truly surprises me.

Corie
09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Recently, we went to a family event put on by my husband's employer.
This event was for the employees, their spouses & kids.

Here is what surprises me...

Do people really just not care how they look?

I mean,
You are going to a work function with your spouse & kids. And you are seeing
all your colleagues and their spouses & kids. And you are seeing higher-ups
and their spouses & kids.

Yet, you are wearing a nasty t-shirt.

I don't get it. These people didn't even try. What's up with that?

mom2binsd
09-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I totally agree with you on this!!!

I am often shocked when we go places and see adults and children who I know were planning on attending an event and yet look a mess- I mean come on at least stop in at the bathroom and wash the top layer of dirt off your kid, I don't think people need to wear their Sunday best but "casual" is sometimes taken too far, and while we're discussing, why why why do women think it's ok to wear clothing that is waaaay too tight, revealing and trashy- no matter what your shape it's never ok to look like I see so many folks!

maestramommy
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Nasty as in needs to be washed or burned, or nasty as in perverted?

Either way, not cool.

MamaMolly
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Yup, I often wonder this. And I'm not talking about $$$ clothes, I'm talking about looking neat and clean. It doesn't take a lot of money to look tidy, even if you are fashion challenged, KWIM?

Corie
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
And I'm not talking about $$$ clothes, I'm talking about looking neat and clean. It doesn't take a lot of money to look tidy, even if you are fashion challenged, KWIM?

This is exactly what I was trying to say in my post!! I completely agree.

newg
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
um yeah.........we went to a family wedding this summer....I wore a nice sundress and DH wore a suit (no tie)........well another set of family members (male twins) wore jean shorts, shirts and their nascar hats......(these men are in the thirties or older) and it took them a few minutes to realize they should probably remove their hats when the wedding march started and we all stood for the bride................!!!!!

I think "casual" has become was too casual for nice events.....

wencit
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
One year, we went to my DH's company holiday party. HOLIDAY PARTY. You know, where women get all dressed up and the men wear at the very least nice slacks and a nice shirt. Well, the wife of DH's co-worker came wearing sweat pants and tennis shoes that looked like she had just come in from doing gardening, they were so covered in mud. He was wearing a jogging outfit. I was so dumbfounded I had to hope that maybe they misunderstood what kind of event it was. But then, if I walked into a party like that dressed like they were, I'd be so mortified I'd immediately turn around and run home.

Some people are totally clueless.

kijip
09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
um yeah.........we went to a family wedding this summer....I wore a nice sundress and DH wore a suit (no tie)........well another set of family members (male twins) wore jean shorts, shirts and their nascar hats......(these men are in the thirties or older)

I have seen similar at weddings and funerals and parties where you would assume people would just know to dress nicely.

Almost 3 years ago my FILs brother showed up to my FILs funeral in jeans, a baseball cap and flannel shirt. FILs brother works in a suit and tie job, so it's not like that is all he had to choose from. In June some people (unrelated) showed up in jeans/ tank tops and some super bright colors. It was disconcerting to me.