PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Costco thread-- what are your favorites?

jent
09-07-2009, 09:27 PM
So, I've never been to a Costco. I thought if I do finally make the trip, it would be nice to have a list like those TJ's/Whole Foods/Ikea threads. So, please share...

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
The problem there is so many things come and go!

Let's see...
-Kirkland's vanilla- not as good as fancy vanilla but better than McCormick's and other brands at the grocery store usually
-bread from the bakery- ciabatta, baguettes... they're all good
-canned chicken chili. I know, sounds gross but it's really good!
-spinach dip- to go with your bakery bread
-the baby wipes are pretty good
-the dried fruit mixwith mangoes
-Kirkland's dry roasted almonds

I always look at the clothes b/c they have some good deals. Lately I have mostly been going for samples. :)

Beth

MamaMolly
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
We do a once a month or so stock up and here is what we often get:

diapers
wipes
vanilla
spices (not a huge variety but great prices)
soy milk (vanilla, sadly our Costco stopped carrying the plain)
veggie chips
corn chips
cereal
organic frozen sausage patties (delish!)
baked goods
peach salsa

I'll edit as I think of more. Have fun!

newg
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
-frozen fruit crisps are amazing - a whole apple or pear in each bag, and so nice for an "on the go" snack....
-kirkland cooked chicken strips- we seperate the chicken into freezer bags and just pull out what we need......really great for DD
-sonicare tooth brush heads
-organic broccoli and green beans
-salt for water softner
-kirkland enviromentaly friendly dish detergent

we just got a six pack of sensory balls for $16 and split the pack with another mom and DC

I'm sure there are more.....but as pp mentioned their selection does change from time to time!!

tylersmama
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
The baby wipes are awesome!

Also:
Carter's footie pj's
Clothes in general (I've found toddler levis for DS and Seven jeans for me at incredible prices)
Books
Bakery bread
Their prepared foods (chicken salad, pizza, chicken pot pie, cheesecake, pumpkin pie, etc) are great if you have a large enough family
Vitamin Water
Kirkland dog food (made by Diamond, and only $22 for a 40# bag)
TP/Paper towels
Kashi strawberry waffles for DS
Kashi cereals
Amy's soups
Bulk sugar, flour, rice
Hershey's triple chunk brownies
Roasted chipotle raspberry sauce
Lunabars
Contact Solution
Calcium gummy bears
Stamps

Those are my usuals...I know I'm forgetting things, though. I'd buy a lot more refrigerated/frozen foods if I had more freezer space, but since I don't, I try to stick to dry goods for the most part.

The food court is awesome, too. $1.50 for a Hebrew National hot dog and a soda. HUGE piece of pizza for $1.99. DS and I will frequently go there for lunch, since both of us can eat for <$5.

DrSally
09-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Things that haven't been mentioned:

rotisserie chicken--big one for 4.99
naked nuggets and chicken nuggets with whole wheat breading
frozen fruit (berry) mixture and frozen blueberries for oatmeal
organic soymilk
artichoke dip with a bit of jalapeno
their premade pizzas
chocolate bunt cake
blueberry lemon coffee cake
tortilla chip strips (no peanuts)
chinese dumplings (frozen)
kids jammies
kid's vitamins
crab dip
beef chuck roast (I cut in half and freeze)
chicken thighs in sealed plastic packets with a few in each packet

ETA: Coleman hotdogs and chicken sausages--apple and gouda flavor!

sste
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
colemans organic chicken thighs
organic frozen broccoli
Pacific organic chicken broth
Two Brothers microbrewery beer recently seen at my local costco!
Sabra hummus
kirkland kitchen trash bags

As other posters mentioned also a big fan of dipe wipes & rotisserie chicken & carters footies

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm in the minority probably but I hate their cooked chicken, in salads or the rotisserie b/c it's oddly overly moist. I don't know. Something about it. Give it a try though- can't beat the price.

Beth

hillview
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
We get:
Wipes
Diapers
Formula (no more but used to)
Paper towels
Toilet paper
Tissues (cold season)
Soda
Juice
Juice boxes
Chocolate milk boxes (organic)
Yogurt (organic)
Yogurt drinks (organic)
coffee filters (1000 of them for like 2 cents)
Garbage bags
ziploc bags

I am a sucker for seasonal stuff -- have had good luck with
books
toys
bbq bricks

ETA:
clothes!
recently got the tummy hider tank tops
get kids swim rash guard suits
got a great deal last year on gloves for everyone

One thing I will say is if you see something you want, get it. They have a great return policy and they run out of seasonal things quick.

HTH
/hillary

Fairy
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
There are the staples, but then the things I love there that I specifically want from there are:

* Shrimp. Their shrimp are the best shrimp at that size outside a fine restaurant EVER

* Cake. Their baked cakes are just wonderful. Not alot of variety, but what they make they make wonderfully.

* Potstickers. Their Ling Ling brand (I think?) potstickers are really good.

* Rotisserie Chicken. We do like their chick, and you cannot beat the price for an enormous birdie.

* Hot dog. For a buck fifty, you get a giant hot dog and a drink. Hello?

On the anti-list, I have to call out the diswasher soap. Now that they're environmentally friendly, that stuff hardens into a big block of powder that you can't chisel off to save your life. I'm glad they're greener, but for the love of Mike, would you PLEASE find a way to not let the moisture harden the damn thing in the box?!

jent
09-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Great list so far, keep 'em coming!

I posted on the last thread, but I guess I'll post again... anyone know how the free temporary membership works? Just go to customer service? I don't want to waste a trip there.

I was thinking of planning a trip tomorrow, but here's the thing... the store near me doesn't open until 11am. I thought this was strange; I'm totally a morning shopper. Grocery stores, Target, Walmart... they all open early and are blissfully uncrowded at that time. Costco does open earlier on Saturdays, so I guess I'll wait until then (except this Saturday, I have to work; the trade-off to having free weekdays).

MMMommy
09-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Sorry, my list is an unorganized list of edible and non-edible:

Fresh wild salmon (this is excellent right now and has been $7.99/lb. the last couple of weeks)
Rotisserie Chicken (a steal at $4.99)
Kirkland Wipes
Utz Pub Mix (gigantic tub of salty goodness)
Kirkland Lightly Salted Kettle Chips
Kirkland Environmentally Friendly Dish Detergent (not the dishwasher kind, but the one for washing dishes by hand)
Kirkland Environmentally Friendly Laundry Detergent
Mickey Mouse Chicken Nuggets (whole grain breading!)
Milk (Organic or non-organic)
fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, blackberries)
big bag of pre-cut broccoli
salad mix
Fish shaped mac n' cheese pasta (fresh pasta section)
Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce
Meat (chicken, beef, pork, etc.)
Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Kirkland batteries
Mixed Berry Fruit Bites - not sure the exact name, but they are 100% fruit and look like little rectangles
Croissants
La Brea Baking Co. multigrain loaf, sourdough baguettes
Apple Strudel (a newer bakery item, and they are yummy)
Toys (only available before the holidays - so available NOW)
Shatterproof Xmas ornaments (available now in their holiday aisles)
Brainquest cards and workbooks
Cookbooks
Designer Jeans (not always available, but I've bought 7 for All Mankind and Hudsons there in the past)

I'm sure there is much more, but can't think of it all....

wencit
09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
The other PPs have pretty much covered it, but I wanted to add:

Pirate's Booty! My son loves this, and it's the cheapest I've found so far.
Frozen spinach and mozzarella ravioli. Sooo yummy.

tylersmama
09-07-2009, 11:00 PM
AFAIK, it's not really a temporary membership. What you do is go to customer service and they give you a day pass to go look around. If you actually want to buy, you have to purchase a membership, but it's refundable if you aren't happy for any reason. So you could go, buy a membership and shop, and if you decide it's just not for you, get your membership refunded.

elephantmeg
09-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I agree in the HATE for their new enviro dishwasher det. Our hard water hates it. Hates it.

Love:
contact lense sol
contacts/glasses
lunch: for 8.xx we can all eat (3 hotdog combos, 1 slice pizza, churro). It's the only place we eat out at anymore...
boneless/skinless chicken breasts or tenders
any meat really
milk-so much cheaper and no hormones. I think we make our money back in milk alone since we somehow go through 3-4 gallons a week.
toys/books/clothes
croisonts, muffins. mmm the chocolate chocolate chip muffins. mmmmmmm
I don't really like the cakes but most people do. I don't like icing...
eggs. Yes you have to get 3 doz but they last well and I almost never run out :)
fruit cups
chicken salad

aks226
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
The only things I haven't seen mentioned are:

frozen organic veggies - love those
fresh veggies, not all organic, but still good
chicken, rosemary, and mozzarella ravioli - those are so yummy
organic butter
bully sticks for the dogs
take and bake pizzas

I also buy a lot of our vitamins, deoderant, shower gel, toilet paper, etc because you don't have to buy it so often.

randomkid
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM

I posted on the last thread, but I guess I'll post again... anyone know how the free temporary membership works? Just go to customer service? I don't want to waste a trip there.

I was thinking of planning a trip tomorrow, but here's the thing... the store near me doesn't open until 11am. I thought this was strange; I'm totally a morning shopper. Grocery stores, Target, Walmart... they all open early and are blissfully uncrowded at that time. Costco does open earlier on Saturdays, so I guess I'll wait until then (except this Saturday, I have to work; the trade-off to having free weekdays).

From what I understand, they open later to the public because they are open only to business members earlier in the am. Not sure if that is still the case, but it used to be. Anyway, I'd still go during the week. Saturdays can be crazy there. They have a lot of samples out at that time (although that could be good for a first timer) and people congregate around the tables, stand in front of the table to eat their sample with their carts right in the middle of the aisle. At least that has been my experience. Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine? I mean, get your samples people and move on! Anyway, I used to go after DD's dance class on Tuesdays and we were usually getting there around 11:30 or 12:30 and really had no problems with crowds. On the weekends, you will have crowds unless you get there when they first open, then you might be OK on a Saturday.

tiapam
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM

I would double check the hours by calling. Our Costco opens at 10 AM. Supposedly the first hour they are open is for gold or business members or something, but they have always let us in. They basically said they let everyone in at 10.

marit
09-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm in the minority probably but I hate their cooked chicken, in salads or the rotisserie b/c it's oddly overly moist. I don't know. Something about it. Give it a try though- can't beat the price.

Beth

here here !!

connor_mommy
09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
They open the doors at 10 to business and executive members. The ones I've been too, will not let people with regular memberships in until 11.

mom2binsd
09-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I haven't been in awhile but I LOVED the Kirkland Trail Mix with the M&M's in it....I also love the Berry Smoothie in the food court.

Kyras mom
09-08-2009, 12:30 AM
My Costco faves are:

Fresh Step cat litter
Bounty paper towels
Dunkin' Donuts coffee
Rotisserie chicken
Sonicare toothbrushes
water
frozen chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
kirkland dishwash detergent
cleaning wipes
kirkland laundry detergent
romaine lettuce hearts
grated parmasean cheese

When available:
Carters pajamas
cat trees

For parties:
sandwich platters (croissant sandwiches and "rollers")
veggie/dip trays

s_gosney
09-08-2009, 01:04 AM
We do a once a month or so stock up and organic frozen sausage patties (delish!)

Molly,

Does your dd eat these? I'm on the hunt for breakfast foods for ds and wondered if these are FA safe. Thanks!

jgenie
09-08-2009, 06:26 AM
On the anti-list, I have to call out the diswasher soap. Now that they're environmentally friendly, that stuff hardens into a big block of powder that you can't chisel off to save your life. I'm glad they're greener, but for the love of Mike, would you PLEASE find a way to not let the moisture harden the damn thing in the box?!

We've had the same problem with the dishwasher soap. We won't buy it again.

MMMommy
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I know there are a lot of "no" votes on the Kirkland dishwashing soap, but I wanted to give a thumb's up for the Kirkland Environmentally Friendly liquid dish soap (the one you use to wash dishes by hand). Not the powder kind.

pinkmomagain
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't think I've seen listed their fresh strawberries & blueberries....very, very good when they are stocked with them.

ZeeBaby
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
No one mentioned the chicken sausages. They are excellent and are in the gourmet section. I have pretty much tried everything else mentioned and I agree mostly everything is wonderful. Their wipes are the best by far!

MommyofAmaya
09-08-2009, 02:37 PM
We like alot of the same things as other pps.

I did want to add the "petite browned turkey breast" next to the hams. I have found it impossible to find a nitrate free lunch meat that we actually like and was delighted when we found the whole turkey breast. The ingredients are turkey, water, and salt. It is only $4.00/lb (vs. $10/lb for Whole Foods lunch meat) and it is much lower in sodium too. I just slice it myself and put it in a gallon size freezer bag. Problem solved!

Claki
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
We don't have our own membership but when I go with my mom I like to get La Terra Fina artichoke and spinach dip and Tillamook cheddar cheese. Yum!

elephantmeg
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
duh I forgot the diapers! My kids have pretty much exclusively used them after the NB/size 1 swaddlers. love em. We also buy shredded cheese (ched and motz) and freeze them in smaller (qt) bags. I keep a qt in the fridge and get one out of the freezer when it's empty

Kestrel
09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't think that anyone mentioned this... I really think that they are the best place to get perscriptions. Bring all of yours in, and ask for a quote.

*** you DO NOT have to be a member to use Costco pharmacy, though you won't be able to buy anything else without a membership. ****

We also love the diapers and formula, and our four-legged kids love the kirkland dog biscuits. We also go through a ton of Duracell batteries, printer paper for our home buisness, and 4x6 photo prints are 13 cents each!

alien_host
09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Fridge section:
Hanna brand hummus - the best (rectangle container)
Hanna taboulle
yes, the chicken sausages with spinach and feta are fab.
Legal's Clam Chowder
Good raviolis and tortilinis in the fridge section by the cheeses
big blocks of havarti, romano cheeses
grated parm cheese
container of crumbled feta
fresh mozzarella "balls"

butcher:
ground beef
filet mignons
lamb chops

Freezer section:
yes, the Ling Ling poststickers (freezer section) are great

Produce:
strawberries/raspberries/blueberries are usually a good price
avocados
3 pack english cukes
grape tomatoes

Other:
Rotiserrie Chickens
Lays chips/pretzels two packs
Carter's fleece PJs

Toys at Christmas time!

Books/DVDs

Seasonal stuff like chlorine for the pool, fertilizer for the lawn

Photo processing....can send to the store online and pick up.

I could go on but I'll stop now!

lchang25000
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Their teriyaki and pineapple meatballs (refrigerated section by the salsa) are sooooooo good!!!

Happy 2B mommy
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I want to add that we LOVE the Kirkland organic cotton pjs! They are the long john style. DD was a chunk and the only pjs that fit her the Hanna old style. As soon as they changed to snug they didn't fit. The Kirkland long johns are snug, but they stretch and are very soft. They only downside is that the darker colors do fade, but for the price you can't go wrong!

Fairy
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll pipe in to say that I jsut got my most recent prescriptions of glasses there; two pairs. Very happy. CHEAP AS ALL GET OUT. $200'somethin' vs. nearly $700 they wanted to charge me at LensCrafters, and let me tell you, it wasn't the frames that were running me so much money, but the LENSES!

rlu
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Most of the items we get have been listed, so I'm just going to add

Kirkland chocolate raisins. Love these -asked for them for my bday.

Also, stressing the Kirkland baby wipes do not sting like Huggies (I know, I had a papercut and used the Huggies once, ouch!)

urquie
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
a few i havn't seen posted, that i buy every time...

potted orchids - unbelievable price and so long lasting!
campari tomatoes - best tasting store bought tomatoes outside of tomato season
pineapple - with fridge produce, cut in big spears. be sure to check the date!

Ceepa
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I like the big toy items at Christmas.

Momof3Labs
09-09-2009, 02:04 PM
organic raspberries, when in season - huge package (twice the size of most grocery sore pkgs) for 3.99. bananas are 1.32 for 3lbs here. apples can be quite cheap, too. Their produce isn't always the cheapest but the quality is usually good and they will take anything back, no questions asked, if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Percycat
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
We get a lot of the same items that have been listed. A few I haven't seen are:

Pacific Natural Foods Organic Chicken Broth
Picture Frames
Kirkland laundry detergent
Motts frozen fruit pops (not a regular, one purchase has lasted all summer)
eggs
organic spinach
Butter or Bib lettuce

infomama
09-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Old standbys for us are

Baby wipes
Snap Peas
Pineapple/Teriyaki meatballs
Black Bean Burgers (morningstar I think)
Colemans hotdogs (nitrate/nitrite free)
tri color chick pea salad (summer only, I think)
Filets (steak)
various fruit (depending on the season)
canned salmon
fresh flowers there are awesome!
that's the best I can do off the top of my head

DrSally
09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Love the Mott's fruit freezies (all fruit)
canned salmon
wipes,dipes
baby cucumbers (very sweet)
french beans (fresh produce)
croissants (good value but their bakery stuff is risky for peanut allergies)

eggnova
09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Wow - I am going to have to look for some of these items on my next trip - I've never seen Luna bars, Kashi waffles, or whole wheat breaded chicken nuggets at Costco and I usually pay thru the nose for all of those items at Whole Foods! Thanks for the hints. As for me, my favorite items not already mentioned are seasonal - Lucky Jeans (twice this year!) and SpaFinder gift cards - two $50 cards for $79.99, usually only available around Mother's Day and Christmas.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned champagne mangos - the small ones that are easy to peel. You can get a case of 6 for a few bucks, and maybe I'm just lucky but I always get ones that ripen at different times so I have fresh mangos for more than a week usually.

And I just have to add my hearty endorsement of the wipes... though I notice the packaging recently changed and I THINK the number of wipes went down... can anyone confirm? I went thru my first pack with the new packaging MUCH faster than I recall - and I didn't have an uptick in dirty diapers or anything...

blisstwins
09-10-2009, 12:46 AM
I adored their wipes.
I also buy organixc eggs there--two dozen for under $7 is a bargain in my area.
I also stock up on string cheese and cabot cheddar cheese single serves.

avd3875
09-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I LOVE Costco. I'm there at least 1x/week. My friends always joke that if something isn't available at Costco I probably don't own it.

So many of my favorites have already been listed.
I can't rememeber if these items have been listed, so here are some of my other favorites:
Two pack of Oroweat Bread (mix and match) the 9 Grain and Buttermilk are our favorites
Organic Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup (it was in the most recent coupon book, so I tried it tonight - very good)
Paper Towels - I spilled a large amount of the soup and two paper towels cleaned up the entire mess - even with repeated rinsing and wringing.
Photo Christmas Cards
Kirkland Vanilla Ice Cream
When I'm doing a lot of baking:
Nestle Chocolate Chips
Hershey Kisses

DD just woke up screaming - must go rescue her.

urquie
09-10-2009, 03:00 AM
i forgot two newer finds that i love...

island way sorbet (http://www.islandwaysorbet.com/home.cfm) - the sorbet is served in the hollowed out shells of coconuts, pineapples, lemons and oranges. it's yummy and very fun to serve at a party or on a hot day.

roti chapati bread - it's kind of like the indian version of a tortilla, but with more whole wheat. it's sold raw (in the deli area) and you just cook it on a dry pan. we use it like a tortilla - quesadillas, breakfast burrito, any meat or veggie fillings. it's even great with costco's rotisserie chicken in it - nothing else. of course, it's also amazing with an indian meal!

andbabymakes3
09-10-2009, 03:06 AM
So, obviously a lot of Costco fans here. I must say we finally joined because we thought we were the only people in the world who weren't members and everyone talks about how great it is, but we are not impressed. I don't think I'm saving any money by going really, because I just end up buying stuff I wouldn't have bought otherwise (like some admittedly awesome frozen bacon-wrapped filet mignon and scallop bites...yum) and I don't find the prices on the regular stuff to be especially better than Target. Also I have the brands I'm used to and Costco doesn't carry (Pampers diapers for one). And then there's the GIANT quantity issue. You have to have storage space for all this stuff, and if it's perishable (like the produce) you better have a big, hungry family. If it goes bad before you eat it you aren't saving any money either. And then there's the giant boxes that they use to put your stuff in that you have to break down and recycle when you get home.

I think the really key thing is to know your prices and do the math while you are there. I have found some good buys (Orowheat Bread, Knotts Jam, Organic Eggs, Batteries) and plenty of not so good buys (Organic Milk is more expensive at Costco than my grocery store, Cottonelle wipes are about the same or more expensive than Target, wine is no deal and my grocery store prices are often better, etc.) Every time I go to Target, no matter what I go for, it's at least $100 to get out the door. When I go to Costco it's $500. Hard to feel like I am saving any money. I think Costco is just kind of fun, but it basically just adds another stop to our already busy lives. I still need to go to Target and the grocery store when I leave Costco.

Good luck!

tylersmama
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
The key with Costco if you are really trying to save money is to make your list and stick to it and not be tempted by all the other fabulous things you may see, because it's not a good deal if you didn't need or want it (I think Katie had that as her siggie for awhile)! I do feel like I save money, even with giving into temptation on occasion, because I'm pretty good about only buying certain things, and I try to doublecheck a new product to make sure that it IS saving me money. Unlike pp, I have yet to find anything that was actually more expensive at Costco, with the exception of a prescription I checked on. Many things aren't really cheaper, but they aren't more expensive, either.

We are a family of two, and I still shop at Costco regularly. There are many things that I don't buy because it just doesn't make sense with our family size, but there are many more that I do. I do have storage space, but not a ton.

And about the boxes and needing to break them down...I just don't get them. I found that they really weren't helpful for me, so I don't bother.

egoldber
09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
The key with Costco if you are really trying to save money is to make your list and stick to it and not be tempted by all the other fabulous things you may see, because it's not a good deal if you didn't need or want it

:yeahthat:

I also find it's better if we only go once a month. We have a huge list, but it's stuff we need and use and we have less time to be tempted by the "extras".

I also find that with Costco, while it may not be the very best price, it's a good price. So I don't feel too bad about it.

We buy there once a month....

diapers
hummos
tabbouleh
chicken breasts
chicken apple sausages
eggs
soymilk
string cheese

About every other month...

wipes
organic sausage patties (I eat one for breakfast almost every day)
chicken thighs
ground turkey
organic chicken broth
shredded mozzarella
shredded cheddar

Occasionally....

yeast for baking ($3.50 for a HUGE block that would be over $50 in the grocery store, and it keeps in the freezer just fine)
baking powder
chili powder
other spices
books
DVDs
Ziplock bags
batteries
canned tuna
shredded parmesan
contact solution

We have gotten our photo holiday cards here for several years.