PDA

View Full Version : DD has fever and rash throughout body. Anyone know what it is?

happymomma
09-08-2009, 06:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone else's DC have these symptoms. DD (3 1/2 years old) came down with a slight fever yesterday. Before the fever she was complaining about being itchy. I thought that it was b/c she had some misquitoe bites and that was causing the itch. However, it seems to have gotten worse. The itch is throughout her body and there are red blotches on her body (especially her back) but nothing on her face. Her fever is about 100 - 101 (using the ear thermometer). I've called the ped. They think that it is just a viral infection. However, it's the itch that is getting to her. I've given her benedryll but it doesn't alleviate it enough. I feel so bad for her. Has anyone else encounter these symptoms? If so, how long did yours last and what can be done to make them more comfortable? Thanks so much.

hillview
09-08-2009, 07:43 AM
DS #1 and 2 have had this. But never the itch. If it is viral it goes away in 2-3 days.
Good luck!
/hillary

amldaley
09-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I have fairly extreme allergies and I had this type reaction when I took sulfa meds. Anything new in the way of foods, meds or comtact with chemicals?

happymomma
09-08-2009, 07:48 AM
She hasn't been exposed to anything new that I can think of in terms of medicine or food. That is what is so strange. I thought it was allergies but I don't know what kind.

amldaley
09-08-2009, 08:31 AM
DH just reminded me that I also had a similar reaction when I was exposed to alot of dust at once (my dust mite allergy is, according to the allergist, off the charts). The difference was that the rash was roving...it moved in blotches around my body but not all over all at once. And I had symptoms like a head cold, too.

Exposure to a new place? Cats/Dogs or other furry things?

Hope your Dr can determine and hope your LO feels better soon!!!!!!!

MamaMolly
09-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Ooooh, the itchies are the worst! What about an Aveeno soothing oatmeal bath? It gets a 0 on the EWG chart (their best score) so it would be a safe way to try and ease the itching if Benedryl doesn't help. Also, have you double checked with your pediatrician about the dosage of Benedryl? Maybe your DD has had a growth spurt and needs a bigger dose? I always under dose Benedryl because it scares the crap out of me (my step-monster once overdosed my step sister ~she meant to, it was step-monster's way of 'getting a little peace and quiet'~ sheesh~ and step sister ended up in the ER) but just in case I'd double check the dosage.

Good luck!

Andi98989
09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Oatmeal baths are great! I did some this summer when I had a ton of bug bites and couldn't get any relief from them.

doberbrat
09-08-2009, 10:30 AM
hm, well, I hear slight fever, itchy rash esp on the trunk and I think chicken pox. so hard to tell w/o a pic though.

ha98ed14
09-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Sounds like Rosiola Infantum to me. Not sure of the spelling, but my DD had it in the spring. It sounds very similar.

ciw
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I was going to suggest roseola too, but I don't remember my son itching with it. Usually the rash appears on the stomach/torso after the fever starts going down. It is a viral infection.
Here's a link http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/roseola/DS00452

If it's roseola, the rash is actually a good sign. It means the illness is on its way out!

HIU8
09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
DS also had this, but at 18 months. His rash, however, was full body-head to toe. it was a scary virus b/c DS's fever spiked to near 104. I remember he had welts as part of the rash (most likely associated with an allergy to pennicillin which he was on for a bacterial infection at the same time), but I do remember that no part of the rash ever itched him.

Piglet
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Could it be chicken pox? That sounds a lot like my memories of CP! If it is CP you might have to be careful about baths (or at least I somehow remember not being allowed to bathe when I got CP - I was in jr. high and I wanted to kill someone). Calamine lotion???

Mermanaid
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
DD had this a few weeks ago ... ended up being strep. Hope that's not what it is.

happymomma
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone for all your great advice. DD is doing great. She didn't have a fever yesterday and the rash is pretty much gone. We used the Aveeno bath last night and it really helped her a lot. I wouldn't have thought to do that so great thanks!!

Clarity
09-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Did you ever figure out what she had? My dd1 (12months) ran a 100-101 fever for 2-3 days and then broke out in a rash all over her body. She was scratching her belly before the rash broke out but I wasn't sure if that was her eczema or the virus. Today is day 2 of the rash and it looks worse today than yesterday. I think it's Roseola......but am not totally sure.

happymomma
09-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I never figured out what it was. The doctor had said that it could be the virus that caused the rash. I remember that it lasted a few days so hopefully your baby is feeling better soon. So far she's been itch free. What worked for us was the oatmeal bath and benedryll.