PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Frontier install tough to do?

kristenk
09-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I keep reading on the boards that the Frontier is difficult/rough/tough to install. Why is it hard to install?

We have a WZ and MA which are so easy to install. What makes the Frontier difficult?

We don't have a Frontier, but I'm starting to look around for a good price on one and I just want to know what I'm getting myself into!

Joolsplus2
09-08-2009, 10:35 AM
The belt path is low and small and the LATCH adjusters can get crammed into it. And sometimes the seatbelt is the only way to install it (after 40 pounds for sure, and sometimes lower, if the LATCH doesn't work at all). And when you use the seatbelt, the 'long' belt path is sometimes the only way to get it installed right. That's SO different from the regular belt paths, that it's a challenge to learn at first. It's just not a seat for the faint of heart, and we're here to walk you through it, so if you're gutsy, it's a great choice for you :D (once it's in, though? It's rock solid!)

T.O. Twins
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Are the Frontier's latch and short belt path installation issues comparable to the problems with the Radian, or is it different?

hillview
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Are the Frontier's latch and short belt path installation issues comparable to the problems with the Radian, or is it different?

No -- have both and Frontier is harder. That said, I can now do it in a few mins (<10).
/hillary

AnnieW625
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
We only have the Frontier and we don't get why it is such a pain to install either. With that said I was this close to returning it and getting a Nautilus and DH wasn't ready to give up. In the 7 mos. or so we've been using the seat it hasn't been moved once (thank goodness no pee/puke accidents!)

KrisM
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM

I have both and I think the Radian is harder to get tight. Frontier is harder to route the seatbelt, but I can get a good, tight install. The Radian is much harder for me to get tight.

Joolsplus2
09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I have both and I think the Radian is harder to get tight. Frontier is harder to route the seatbelt, but I can get a good, tight install. The Radian is much harder for me to get tight.

:yeahthat:

westgre
09-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Highjack question: Would you still consider the Frontier if you had to re-install the seat 2-3 times a week?

bubbaray
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't willingly choose to reinstall either of those seats 2-3x/week. If the child were old/heavy enough for a booster, I'd choose a BPB over a harnessed seat for multiple installs weekly. Less chance for error, KWIM?

I like both the RN and the FR, but ITA with the PPs that they are both tricky, finicky, whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't say that either are easy-peasy installs like, for example, the MA.

BayAreaMom
09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I admit it's hard to install (i use latch in 2006 Acura MDX, long belt path in 2001 Chevy Tahoe), but with the long belt I'm able to get a much tighter install than I did with my Britax Marathon. Once I figured it out it's easy, but I did have to pull up the Britax YouTube video on my iPhone while I was in my car doing the installation. That was neat.

But reinstalling multiple times per week? Ugh. It's a heavy bulky seat!

-Darcy

hillview
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I find getting the RN installed well with LATCH is pretty easy in our Subaru Outback. The belt path is a little harder to get tight but doable. I would be fine to install it several times a week (I wouldn't be excited to do that with any seat really but RN would be fine). The BV is actually my easiest seat to install anywhere. The Frontier is a workout to install and requires patience as you are often at the end of the belt and it can lock when you aren't ready for it to lock KWIM?

I have had frustration with the RN in car rentals, it always works out but I do have to try again more often.
HTH
/hillary

KrisM
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't be thrilled with doing anyseat multiple times a week.

I think it matters which turns out to be easiest. In my car, the RN is pretty simple and I'm now good at getting it in tight. In DH's car, I can't get the RN in tight at all, so I'd have to do the Frontier. It's not bad, but not fun, either.

westgre
09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't actually move the seat, I would just use it as a booster for DD when she's in the car and as a harnessed seat for DS#1 when he's in the car. Right now I'm using a CarGo but will need to get a Frontier or Nautilus soon to replace it.

codex57
09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I haven't installed either, but I have jiggled already installed ones. The Frontier has always seemed rock solid while I've encountered a couple of Nautis that I wish didn't move quite so much. Not sure if that really means anything since these weren't the same people that installed the seats.