PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Questions

alien_host
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry, I know these probably have been discussed before but I have some questions.

I just listed some of our old appliances on CL. I got one response last night and they said they were interested but couldn't come to Saturday. I said fine. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have done that as another person contacted me who said they are 'very' interested.

How should I handle it? Should I e-mail back the first person and say something along the lines of "I'll hold it for you but I do have someone else who is asking about it so if you are coming for sure on Sat with cash, I'll hold it" Basically I don't want this person to be trying to bargain me down because I'm pretty sure I can get full price from the second person.

Or should I e-mail the second person and tell them I have someone coming to look at it but I'd call her once they come by? She did give a phone #.

For the future, can I e-mail people back and say "first to come with cash gets it?" I probably should have waited a few hours before responding. THis is my first time selling on CL, obviously ;)

Second Question: At what point do you give out your address? Do you do it via e-mail or ask them to call you? The whole CL thing kind of freaks me out.

TIA!

ohiomom1121
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
I have learned with Craigslist NEVER to hold out waiting for someone. Tons won't show up, and in the mean time you lose other interested buyers. I basically tell them first one to show up cash in hand gets it. I've gotten burned trying to be a nice guy and hold things! I'd email the first person and say I have other interested people and I need to get rid of the item ASAP. Ask them if there's any way they could come sooner, and if not just ask them to contact you Saturday to see if it is still available. I usually give my address out once everything has been discussed and they're committed to coming.

ha98ed14
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I've made a similar mistake too many times. Nikki is 100% correct; email the first person and ask if they can come sooner and if not that you are going to sell the item.

alien_host
09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I know, I was afraid of that! I totally got excited and jumped the gun.

I've e-mailed them to see if they'd come earlier or come see it and put down a deposit and they can pick up on Sat.

It's a bulky item so the transport thing is an issue.

DebbieJ
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I never hold anything for anyone either. If they want it, they can come get it or at least come give me some money.