PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Toddler vs Go Go Kids Travelmate

PAfirsttimemom
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

A cheaper alternative to the Go Go Kids. Plus you use it with a carry-on bag, so you can save some $$$ on checked-bag fees.

Anyonw have experience or advice about this product vs the Go Go Kids? Is it worth it to buy the Go Go Kids if we only travel by air say once a year?

vonfirmath
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Often people have used bungee cords for a similar effect.

twodogs
09-09-2009, 12:37 AM
I have traveled a lot with both of my children (now ages 4 and 2) from when the first one was 8 weeks old. I typically am traveling by myself, so I have tried a lot of different tricks. I have the GoGo Kidz, and it has been great.

What I would worry about with this other product is that you will have to deal with that rolling suit case at the gate. I don't see how you could really carry that rolling suit case on, carry your car seat on, carry your child on, and then carry your diaper bag on as well. Since most car seats are too wide to roll down the aisle of the plane (at least my Britax are), you can't leave the seat attached to either the GoGo or this product to get to your seats. So you have to carry everything.

Even if you gate check your rolling suitcase, they may still charge you a bag check fee, so that may not help there. Also, you may have to bend down pretty far to roll this like a stroller, depending on how tall you are and how long the handle on your wheeled bag is (remember that most wheeled bags are designed to be pulled behind you, not wheeled in front of you, so test that motion out with your bag first; I don't think most kids would tolerate being pulled behind you). You will not have to take the GoGo kidz off of the car seat at Security as you do with this product. If the car seat is too big to fit through the x-ray machine with the GoGo attached, just request that they hand check it. I always do this, and it is not a big deal at all. Then just pop the baby back in once through security and wheel to the gate.

vonfirmath
09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
picture of travelling toddler in use. http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=673537&postcount=15

pantrygirl
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I haven't tried the travelmate but we love our go go kidz.

It replaces our stroller when we travel so it's one less item we need to carry with us.

It's a bit pricey but it was worth it for us as carrying the car seat, luggage, stroller, and the other baby gear was a bit too much for us.

niccig
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
We put the car seat in the stroller and use a bungee cord through the forward facing belt path to attach it. DS is strapped into the car seat. At the door of the plane, I take the car seat off, collapse the stroller and leave it for gate check. I can carry the car seat, diaper backpack and DS walks in front of me. When he was too small to walk, I had him in a front carrier. He's now too old for the stroller, so we strap the car seat to a folding luggage cart. We travel a lot, 3-4 times a year, and any of these set ups have worked for us. With 2 parents it's easier, but still very doable when it's just one parent.

PAfirsttimemom
09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the input so far. DH and I will be traveling to Orlando (Disney World) this Dec. with our two kids, who are now 3.5 and 1. We're trying to work out all the logistics--what carseats to take, what stroller, how to get all the gear through the airport, etc.

We'll definitely take our Cosco Scenera, which is nice and light, but we're not sure if we'll take one of our Britax seats (Frontier or Blvd) or buy a new seat that we could use in my DH's car and that would be good for travel (I'm thinking a Radian or Safeguard Go, though with the latter, DS1 would have to use the lapbelt only on the plane, and the FAA recommends using a car seat for under 40 pounds).

I welcome any advice!