PDA

View Full Version : ? re: using car seats while traveling

arivecchi
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I bought a Cosco Scenera for our upcoming trip to the Caribbean. DS2 will be using that car seat on the plane. We are also taking our Blvd, but we are checking that car seat, as DS1 will be using a CARES harness. Which car seat should I put DS2 in when we arrive at our destination? The Blvd since it has extra protection?

egoldber
09-08-2009, 01:19 PM
What form of transport is at your destination? There are many vehicles in the Caribbean that do not even have seatbelts.

arivecchi
09-08-2009, 01:21 PM
We are going to Puerto Rico and will be using my family's cars. A BMW 3 series (has LATCH) and an older Nissan Pathfinder (no LATCH).

egoldber
09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Ah. Hotel and resort transport vans and taxis often do not have seatbelts. But PR is quite different anyway. :) Many of the smaller island countries have very lax carseat laws or none at all.

niccig
09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
It might depend on how they fit in the car, but I would do DS#1 FF in the BLvd in the center and then the DS#2 RF outboard in the scenera. Least protected child is DS as he's FF, so he gets the center and the BLVD SIP. RF is very very safe, so your DS#2 will be fine in the scenera. If you have to do both outboard to get them to fit, then I would still keep DS#1 in the BLVD.

arivecchi
09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks! What if they are both RFing? DS1 actually rode Rfing in our Blvd this weekend since DS2 was not in the car and he liked it.

niccig
09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks! What if they are both RFing? DS1 actually rode Rfing in our Blvd this weekend since DS2 was not in the car and he liked it.

If they are both RF, then put the BLVD outboard if you can get it to fit with the scenera center. I don't think it matters which child rides in which one. Yay for DS looking RF. My DS RF until 3 and he never said a word of complaint - I think he liked having a place to put his legs, as now, I get the feet on the back of the passenger seat.

arivecchi
09-08-2009, 03:46 PM
If they are both RF, then put the BLVD outboard if you can get it to fit with the scenera center. I don't think it matters which child rides in which one. Yay for DS looking RF. My DS RF until 3 and he never said a word of complaint - I think he liked having a place to put his legs, as now, I get the feet on the back of the passenger seat.
:signthankspin:

AnnieW625
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't think DS1 will fit in the Scenera. I only say this because we tried Elisa in her Triumph last week and she is 39" or so and too tall for it; it's similar in size to the Scenera.

o_mom
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't think DS1 will fit in the Scenera. I only say this because we tried Elisa in her Triumph last week and she is 39" or so and too tall for it; it's similar in size to the Scenera.

If he can fit RF in the BV, he can most likely fit RF in the Scenera. The top slots of the Scenera are not very tall, but the back is. DS2 outgrew the Scenera FF before RF because of this - his head was still below the top of the seat by 2-3", but his shoulders were right at the top slots.

arivecchi
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
He did fit just fine in the Blvd. How do I know if he has outgrown the Scenera? I will try it out tonight.

o_mom
09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
He did fit just fine in the Blvd. How do I know if he has outgrown the Scenera? I will try it out tonight.

For rear-facing, the seat is outgrown when the head is an inch from the top of the hard shell or the weight limit is exceeded. Cosco also puts a height limit on their seat for rear-facing (check your seat or manual), which would be a parental decision to follow or ignore if the child fits the other criteria.

arivecchi
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
For rear-facing, the seat is outgrown when the head is an inch from the top of the hard shell or the weight limit is exceeded. Cosco also puts a height limit on their seat for rear-facing (check your seat or manual), which would be a parental decision to follow or ignore if the child fits the other criteria. Thanks O Mom!