PDA

View Full Version : What not to miss? I know, very vague!

sidmand
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I realize this is a totally vague and open-ended question...

But what would you NOT miss at WDW. Either you and DH (DW) alone, or as a family?

My Dad has planned a family vacation to WDW next April (for 14 of us!). We'll be staying onsite at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. As much as I tried to convince him NOT to do it, part of it will be during April Vacation. I think he settled on 4/23 through 4/28.

Our group will have two 3-year-old twins, a 2-year-old, an almost 5-year-old, and the rest adults.

My Dad has asked us to pick what we'd love to see and has also offered to take DD and DS for a few hours so DH and I can do something too. He's already planning a couple of Grand Gatherings (something about a Segway tour and I think a dessert buffet?). I think he has also bought dining plans for all of us.

DS loves the Little Einsteins (at least he does now) and I think there's a restaurant they visit that we shouldn't miss, right?

I've been 8 or 9 times but not in a long time and not really with kids.

I know, a pretty open-ended question...but any help would be much appreciated. My Dad loves to plan in advance and I don't even know where to start!

JTsMom
09-08-2009, 02:40 PM
oooh, you're going to have fun!
Here are some starting places:
*disboards.com-a bit overwhelming at first, but more info than you can imagine
*allears.net-tons of info- resort pics, menus, etc. It also has a list of all of the character meals w/details
*You, or more likely your dad, might love Tour Guide Mike. You can go through the banner ad on disboard's Theme Parks board to save $3. It will tell you which marks to visit on which days, which order to do rides in, etc. It's a planner's dream come true.
*Unofficial Guide to WDW (book)

The meal you are thinking of is Hollywood and Vine in Hollywood Studios. It's a buffet. The food gets pretty bad reviews, but if you know that going in, it may be worth it.

DHS also has Playhouse Disney Live, which is a show based on all of the morning shows, so you won't want to miss that. It's pretty cute. You sit on the floor and the kids get to dance a little.

California Grill gets rave reviews, so that might be fun for a date night with DH. I don't know much about the AK spots, but I *think* Lori (momof3labs) does.

I've heard the Segway tour is cool, but I thought you couldn't take kids on it- double check that though.

Let's see... Nemo at Epcot is popular with kids, you need lots of Magic Kingdom time- esp. in Fantasyland, Soarin is awesome, if you like thrill rides, be sure to do Rockin Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest.

Know about height restrictions- most rides don't have them, but some of the "big" ones do. A good number of them are 40", but some are higher. If anyone is borderline, be sure to practice standing tall, as Disney is very strict about height.

Planning for midday breaks is a popular strategy, especially with little kids.

Make sure you know when your ADR (dining ressies) window will open- they are getting ready to change it to 180 days out sometime in October. You MUST go online/call right on that day if you want the popular stuff.

Watch for discounts- disboards and mousesavers are great for that.

HTH! Check in here often- we all love to talk Disney!

Indianamom2
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
This will have to be quick, but for dining, I would highly recommend Le Cellier in the Canada section of Epcot.

Dh and I and our family have been to both Le Cellier and The California Grill more than once. If I had to choose just one, I think I'd pick Le Cellier at this point. I have never been disappointed and the price is better. However, reservations can be tough to get so call ASAP! They have some fantastic food and it is also kid-friendly (a nice noise level, but a nice adult atmosphere as well, if that makes sense!)

The Playhouse Disney Live show at MGM is good for little ones also.

Gotta run...may be back later!

Christina

bnme
09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Spectromagic parade at MK is my #1 must-see

egoldber
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
My fav thing is Illuminations at Epcot. I love that show. :)

Other than that....

Belle's Story Time in the MK

Peter Pan and Wendy meet and greet in the MK

Talking to Ariel in her Grotto when you are one of the first couple people in line

The fountain at Epcot

Getting a "yard" of beer at the Rose&Crown in Epcot and strolling around the "World"

JTsMom
09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Spectromagic parade at MK is my #1 must-see

Yes! You must see Spectro and Wishes both!

fivi2
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
We all (adults and 2 almost 3 yos) loved the Tusker House breakfast, the Safari ride, and Festival of the Lion King - all at Animal Kingdom. (We didn't make it to Nemo)

At Magic Kingdom, we really enjoyed the Crystal Palace character dinner. The girls' favorite ride there was Small World.

We didn't make it to epcot this trip, but I think a dinner in the world showcase and then walking around would be a nice alone evening for the adults. Or there is a Cirque du soleil at downtown disney (I think?) which could be a fun grown up outing.

sidmand
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I passed much of the info on to my Dad. I will try and do as much research as I can but I never seem to have time anymore. And he loves planning this kind of stuff (I think).

I just hope he ends up having fun too. There are some adults in our group who aren't thrilled about the prospect of going to WDW but I know it does have something for everyone (I sound like an ad, huh?). I love Disney myself but haven't been for more than a day in years.

I'm looking forward to seeing it through DCs eyes. And taking a trip we probably never could have afforded ourselves! It'll definitely be different when we go just ourselves but this will be really nice (and remind me I said that when we're done :)).

ryanmom
09-09-2009, 02:52 PM
If anyone in your group has a birthday, you can get a birthday fastpass and skip the lines at most of the rides. You can also do the appt fastpasses at some of the rides as well. Have fun!

sidmand
09-09-2009, 06:44 PM
If anyone in your group has a birthday, you can get a birthday fastpass and skip the lines at most of the rides. You can also do the appt fastpasses at some of the rides as well. Have fun!

Yes, I think that's why my Dad planned for April. His birthday is the day we arrive so I don't think we're going to the parks, but the twins birthday is the next day!

:yay: (smilie picked by DS!)

egoldber
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Is the birthday FastPass new? I've never heard of that?

clc053103
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Is the birthday FastPass new? I've never heard of that?

Me neither- and this is the second year in a row we are there on my nephew's birthday.

JTsMom
09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
The b-day fastpass is an option IF, and only if, you already have a multi-day ticket. Your dad should definitely go up to guest services and get the other option, which is the b-day "fun card", which is a gift card worth the value of a ticket! You can only use it for actual merchandise- not dining or services, but hey, that puts a nice dent in the souvenier spending! Also, all of the b-day people can get buttons.

The option above are all part of the current year's "What Will You Celebrate?" theme. IMHO, the fastpass isn't nearly as good as the gc. It's pretty limited.

Here's some info on the fun card:
http://allears.net/tp/celebrate.htm

sidmand
09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
The b-day fastpass is an option IF, and only if, you already have a multi-day ticket. Your dad should definitely go up to guest services and get the other option, which is the b-day "fun card", which is a gift card worth the value of a ticket! You can only use it for actual merchandise- not dining or services, but hey, that puts a nice dent in the souvenier spending! Also, all of the b-day people can get buttons.

The option above are all part of the current year's "What Will You Celebrate?" theme. IMHO, the fastpass isn't nearly as good as the gc. It's pretty limited.

Here's some info on the fun card:
http://allears.net/tp/celebrate.htm

That sounds great! He had mentioned the button (because he was going to pass on wearing it on his birthday). But the fun card sounds wonderful. And I'm sure with all those kids we were definitely going to be buying some souvenirs!

clc053103
09-10-2009, 08:14 AM
We never read about the fastpass (it wasn't in the guidebook I read or on the disney website- wow thanks for the info! but his birthday is the day we leave so it may not be worth it. We have park hoppers so he planned to get the gift card. One thing my sister said she read was that you had to bring your original birth certificate (not a copy).