PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with infant- just how bad is it?

catroddick
09-08-2009, 05:29 PM
My BFF lives in Missouri and I miss her like crazy. There are stupid cheap fairs right now- like $220 round trip. Pre-baby me would hop a plane w/o batting an eye at those prices. And since DD is so cheerful and easy, I’m still tempted for her and me to hop on a plane and head to St. Louis.
How crazy is travel with a 6-7month old? Would you do it just for fun? Or is this something you do only if you really have to?

kedss
09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
We took DS on a train trip(6-8 hours) to visit my sister when he was about 8 months old, he was very easy, they get harder when they want to start getting down and moving. We probably could do the train with our 5 year old and 14 month old, but I wouldn't do a plane. :)

tylersmama
09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
WAY easier at that age than when they start wanting to move around a lot. Do it!

TwinFoxes
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
I flew from LA to DC when mine were just over 6 months old (4.5 months adjusted). They slept the whole way. They never cried once. I bought seats for them, so they were in their carseats. Honestly, the worse part was the schlepping. Luckily one of my SILs (not the one I'm always complaining about ;) ) came with us. The carseats, carryons, double snap n go, etc were a pain. But I do think it's doable. If I wanted to see someone I missed, I'd do it.

AnnieW625
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
I think travelling with baby gets a bad rap. DD went on her first plane ride to Sacramento at 2 mos. old., she did just fine in my arms. We had bottle of water ready for her right when we took off and again right when we landed. We then travelled with her again at 6 to 7 mos. and this time we used an empty seat in our row for her infant seat, it worked out great. I would plan on taking your infant seat with you on the plane and crossing your fingers for an open seat next to the window (book yourself the middle seat), and if there isn't one then you can just gate check the infant seat. I only got the "I'm sitting by the crying baby" talk once on our very full return flight from Salt Lake City; it was the only time I wish I would've bought DD a seat when she was 15 mos. old.

Octobermommy
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
You can take my 21 month old on a flight and I will take your 7 month old! Seriously, it is not that much of a hassle besides the extra packing. Have fun!

elektra
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I've only traveled a few times with kids but like the PP's have said, the small babies are the easiest. Six months would have been ideal since you can still wear them for most of the time (through the airport, etc.) the solid food thing isn't such an issue yet, they still take several naps a day so you can be more flexible with the times, and so on.
Go for it!

LMPC
09-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I agree....buy that ticket! That age is pretty easy IMHO! Traveled with DD on 8 planes from 5-7 months old. Took early flights, nursed her on take off, she slept almost the entire time! Awesome!

ha98ed14
09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I would totally go! You have one DC who is immobile in her bucket carrier. It will never be this easy again, ever! Load up your stroller and have a great trip!

SnuggleBuggles
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
That is still a fine age for travel! It's the toddler time that is a bit hard b/c they want to be out doing stuff but can't be.

Beth

jgenie
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I did my first solo flight w/ DS when he was 16 months old. It actually went pretty smoothly. Figuring out how to carry all the gear was the rough part. Go and enjoy yourselves!!

ErinMC
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
WAY easier at that age than when they start wanting to move around a lot. Do it!

I agree completely!

niccig
09-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I would totally go! You have one DC who is immobile in her bucket carrier. It will never be this easy again, ever! Load up your stroller and have a great trip!

:yeahthat: x 100

We're on a plane 3-4 times a year. Up until age one, DS was easy peasy. 1-4 yo, not so much fun. 4+ it's getting easier again.

WatchingThemGrow
09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Go often until they hit the toddler stage. And then, go nonstop only during their happy times. And...go before you have 3. We'll have two lapbabies and a 3 yo with us. THAT will be a lot of fun!!!

maestramommy
09-08-2009, 10:29 PM
We've flown cross country with Dora and Arwyn when they were infants. That was the easiest time. They napped in the carseats (well they still do), nursed or had snacks and water, and were generally easy to entertain. Toddlers are harder. They get restless:p

okinawama
09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Go! I made an overseas flight with my then 10week old and have made at least half a dozen since then and he surprises me how smoothly things go.

pb&j
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Flew w/each kid when they were about that age. It's a great time to travel! They're social and cute, but not mobile and still sleep a lot. It will get really hard for a while, so do it now!

kijip
09-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Agreed. Better now than later. :)

deannanb
09-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I wish I had a baby who enjoyed flying - we traveled 2 months in a row - when DS was 7 and 8 months old - didn't buy him a seat - we had one leg of the 4 with an open seat - which was the best - otherwise, I was standing in the back of the plane trying to get DS to stop crying - (Tylenol was given, bottles were tried, nursing was tried... nothing worked)

my advice would be to buy a seat for DC - and expect for the worst - and hope you get the best! :)

Good Luck!

edurnemk
09-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Oh it's a LOT easier than travelling with a toddler! I've travelled with DS since he was 3 months old, sometimes alone, sometimes with DH. The first few months it's easy because they're not mobile, they're easily entertained, you don't have to pack a huge variety of snacks and meals, toys and books. And they usually end up sleeping most of the flight because of the vibration and noise from the turbines. If they do get fussy walking with them up and down the aisle usually cheers them up.

IME babies only cry like crazy on a plane if they're in pain, but that's easily avoided if you keep the baby sucking on something during take-off and landing.

Of course a first time mom, who travels for the first time with baby tends to overpack, and you should plan to get to the airport early to get through security calmly (some airports have lines for families), feed the baby, change diapers (do change it before boarding, the changing tables on the plane are a PITA). Also pack extra diapers and clothes. The key for me was using a sling (one without any rings so I didn't have to take it off at the security checkpoint - I got a Hotsling for this), in order to have free hands to put all our stuff through the x ray, fold the stroller (which served mostly as a baggage cart), etc.
Oh and I got a Maclaren Quest, specifically for travelling with DS alone, because it's so much easier to fold and carry, while holding baby, diaper bag, etc.

So, to sum it up: Get on that plane! ;)

catroddick
09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok- it’s official! We’re going!
I’m trying to pick between Delta and Frontier- any words of wisdom on “baby friendliness” of either?
Somewhere I read something about isle seat, vs window, vs. middle. I would think I would want an isle seat?

edurnemk
09-16-2009, 01:04 PM
For yourself? Yeah, get an aisle seat if possible. The car seat has to be installed in a window seat, and cannot be in a row with with emergency exits, or in rows directly behind or in front of emergency exits.

And I personally like getting a bulkhead row, becuase it's roomier, but you have to store the diaper bag in the overhead bin, so it involves getting up a few times.

mum-to-be
09-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd recommend a window seat - further away from aisle traffic - you don't want baby getting bumped. Also, airlines usually block the seat next to an adult travelling with a lap child, so if you have the window and they block the middle seat for you, you can install the car seat at the window. I flew with DS as a lap child on 27 flights on different airlines, both domestic and international. Only twice did we have someone sitting next to us! They will fill the blocked seat only if the flight is full.

Also, if your baby is a grabber as mine was, I would recommend getting lids for your drinks or just asking the attendant to give you the can unopened so you can open it when the baby is asleep. Feed on ascent and descent and that should help clear baby's ears. And I'd recommend changing baby's diaper immediately before boarding. Oh and when you get to the gate, ask about whether they pre-board infants.

Have a great trip!