PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in # 20: Elite CarSeats vs Albee Baby for Britax purchase?

amldaley
09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Any scoop?

I have decided on the Blvd and see Albee has some nice deals on closeouts (I know to ask about the side wings and avoid the older "2008" models), but their return policy is harsh.

Elite is more expensive and less color choices but I like their $1 return shipping insurance.

Any advice from you seasoned shoppers?

jjordan
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Can you think of a reason why you would return it? Usually return shipping insurance is only a bonus if you think there's a chance you'll return it, like if you are ordering a seat that might not fit your car (or your kid). Or if you end up with a seat with an old DOM, but that's not usually a problem with Albeebaby. You can call customer service and see if they can tell you an approximate DOM before you order.

Personally I'd go with the savings and choices of AlbeeBaby if it's unlikely you'll need to return it.

AshleyAnn
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=jjordan;2470248] You can call customer service and see if they can tell you an approximate DOM before you order.[\QUOTE]

I've heard people have a really hard time getting anyone one of the phone at Albee Baby. I'm considering buying a safeseat step 1 from them but am worried about the DOM. Has anyone had any success getting DOM info over the phone?

mommybug
09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
I know to ask about the side wings and avoid the older "2008" models), but their return policy is harsh.

Thread Hijack, sorry, but why do you need to ask about the side wings?

AnnieW625
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
I have bought carseats from both places. In 2006 I ordered a clearanced Evenflo Triumph 5, it was less than a month old or so when it arrived at our doorstep! I didn't even think to call and see what the DOM was.

We ordered our Safegaurd Go from Elite Car Seats a few weeks back and I opted not to pay for the return insurance because I knew we were going to need the seat no matter what. I knew I was going to get a late 2008/early 2009 model seat because the company stopped making the seats, but overall I was very happy with the quickness of the shipping. If you aren't sure how the BLVD is going to fit in your car then I would use Elite and pay the $1 for the shipping insurance (last month it was $5, so the $1 is a steal!).

HIU8
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
:yeahthat: I bought a MA from Albee Baby about 3 years ago. I just bought a Safeguard GO from Elite Carseats. I never had issues with either company (although I have never needed customer service after the carseats were delivered). They were both rather fast delivery and my seats were a decent DOM.

PAfirsttimemom
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi. I'm also wondering why you want to ask about the side wings? And 2008 models. We have a BLVD from 2006 or 2007 (have to check the date). Was there a recall I have to worry about?

bubbaray
09-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I've never purchased from Elite, but have heard good things about it. I have purchased from Albee (strollers) and have had fabulous service from them -- AND I've always been able to speak to a real person on the phone too. I would definitely call both companies and ask for DOMs.

jjordan
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi. I'm also wondering why you want to ask about the side wings? And 2008 models. We have a BLVD from 2006 or 2007 (have to check the date). Was there a recall I have to worry about?

No, just a head flop issue. They apparently redesigned the wings after 2008. I did notice that they're slightly different between my 2007 and 2009 BV's, but I haven't noticed any difference in use. The older ones are fine if they work for you.

becca_g
09-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Just wanted to add that I ordered the Chicco Keyfit 30 (Romantic) on 9/5 from AlbeeBaby and it arrived today 9/9!

Not bad considering shipping was free, and a 3-day weekend started the day I ordered.

I haven't opened the box or checked the DOM, but since it's a 2009 fabric, I doubt the seat is too old.

crazydiamond
09-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Just bought a RA50 for "Grandma's car" from Albee. Never bought from Elite, but this is my 4th purchase from Albee and they are great to deal with - and good prices too.

amldaley
09-16-2009, 11:02 AM
UGH. ALBEE BABY!!!! I have called and left voicemail once and e-mailed them twice. No response. I really want to buy this car seat but I am reticent since we will need it for at least 5 of the 6 years it should be good for.

Any suggestions? I am almost ready to just go to Elite and spend the $$$ instead b/c they called me back the very next day.

AnnieW625
09-16-2009, 11:17 AM
At most you might get something that is six months old, but I can't see you getting anything more than that and that will last the full five years. I would just order if it's going to save you a lot more money than Elite and if it turns out you get a seat that's really old I would call and complain then. I can't get onto the AAFES site but can't you get a similar deal through them?

jjordan
09-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Just order from AlbeeBaby and put a note when you order (assuming they have some sort of box for "comments") that you want to be sure the seat has a recent DOM.

yirek
09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't know which fabric you want, but I just ordered a Boulevard in Onyx from Diapers.com for $228.77 w/ free shipping.

I got them to price match the babycatalog.com price and also used the 10% off new customer coupon code (10PERCENT).

Just a thought. :)

amldaley
09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
After yet another e-mail & two more calls to Albee Baby, I finally got someone. However, when I asked about the DOM, she just said, "2009" (after I just told her it was 2009). So, I had to ask in more detail. She put me on hold, came back and said the warehouse guy was on lunch but the one they had in the store was Jan 2009 DOM and he guessed the warehouse was the same.

I don't care about which color - I was buying the cheapest 2009 they had (lucky I have a girl! It's pink with green & white flowers!)

I am going to check the AAFES website (military) and babycatalog and diapers.com and see what I can do.

If all else fails, I feel like Elite will be a safe purchase (and they returned my very first call the very next day!)

slakedad
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I just purchased a 2009 BV from Albee. I had a similar experience to OP on trying to call them directly (think i spoke to the same person on their cluelessness on DOM and not returning vmails), but based on favorable responses from other postings here I went ahead and ordered a 2009 Meghan pattern BV online ($229) and used the shipping comments box to request their most current available DOM. Well, 5 days later I received the seat with a DOM of Sept 1 2009!!!:applause:

YMMV, but thought I'd throw this in for consideration

OKKiddo
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
After yet another e-mail & two more calls to Albee Baby, I finally got someone. However, when I asked about the DOM, she just said, "2009" (after I just told her it was 2009). So, I had to ask in more detail. She put me on hold, came back and said the warehouse guy was on lunch but the one they had in the store was Jan 2009 DOM and he guessed the warehouse was the same.

I don't care about which color - I was buying the cheapest 2009 they had (lucky I have a girl! It's pink with green & white flowers!)

I am going to check the AAFES website (military) and babycatalog and diapers.com and see what I can do.

If all else fails, I feel like Elite will be a safe purchase (and they returned my very first call the very next day!)

A few months back I saw a Marathon at our Ft. Hood AAFES in the baby section. It was clearanced out for $100. I went to buy it and realized I had left my wallet in the car and when I came back it had already been bought by someone much quicker than me. ;) So, make sure you also make a stop into your local AAFES to make sure they don't have something lingering on the shelf!

amldaley
09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I just purchased a 2009 BV from Albee. I had a similar experience to OP on trying to call them directly (think i spoke to the same person on their cluelessness on DOM and not returning vmails), but based on favorable responses from other postings here I went ahead and ordered a 2009 Meghan pattern BV online ($229) and used the shipping comments box to request their most current available DOM. Well, 5 days later I received the seat with a DOM of Sept 1 2009!!!:applause:

YMMV, but thought I'd throw this in for consideration

Thats the exact one I am looking at, so I am going to go for it! THANK YOU!!!

amldaley
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
UPDATE:

Ordered the Meghan 2009 from Albee for $229 . It arrived in 3 days via UPS. The box was basically demolished - torn on top and bottom and smashed on one side. But the seat was unharmed!

And....it is DOM of Sept 1, 2009!!!!

I would have loved to have bought from Elite as I really believe their service is better but they would not price match Albee Baby (even on an exact same item, color, etc).

Thanks for all your suggestions and assistance. I get so worked up over major purchases! I totally rely on my BBB friends to talk me off the ledge:22:

jjordan
10-05-2009, 07:38 PM
YAY! That is super terrific! :)