PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to a hair salon/spa and let them give you a new hairstyle?

Tammy
09-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking about doing this. I'm going to be out of town next week for training and will have a morning free near a spa. I'm thinking of asking the stylist "what style would look good on me?" since I've had the same style for quite a while now. Would you do this?

hobie
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I did with a stylist that I didn't know, and the cut was horrible (even though the stylist was my MIL's favorite). I tried again with my regular stylist, and got a great cut (and that was when I donated my hair to locks of love, so that was a big change to start with!).

brittone2
09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I usually go for at least one non-drastic cut w/ a new stylist first to get a feel for how they handle things and so they can get an idea of what I like. I'm someone who has gone from long to super short and then grown it out, etc. through the years, so I'm not particularly hesitant to make big changes.

I let my current hairstylist chop my hair from a bob to a pixie on my second visit w/ her I think? However, I've had it super pixie short before and knew I liked it (and my current stylist does the cut even better). I've sometimes had to persuade them that I'm not someone who cries at going from longer to short...I've done it a bunch of times. Sometimes I think they are hesitant that a new client will freak out (and I'm sure that happens). I always tell them as long as the cut is good, I'm not particularly attached to the length.

You could always discuss a plan for the next haircut but go for a less drastic initial cut, kwim? If I knew a bunch of people who recommended a given stylist, etc. I'd be more open to making a change right away.

Good luck! :)

(eta: I'm also not shy about asking various staff at a hair salon (I go to a place w/ a lot of stylists) who is good at the types of cuts I like. I found my current stylist after switching away from someone else in the same salon that I only saw 2-3 times and didn't like. I started asking the receptionists, etc who was good at modern, funkier, short, choppier styles and they all recommended the same person. So I was more confident in her ability to go short pretty quickly w/ me vs. someone who is more accustomed to cutting longer hair styles, etc. kwim?

DebbieJ
09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Absolutely! I've done it and would do it again!

BabyMine
09-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Absolutely! I've done it and would do it again!

:yeahthat: I have never been dissapointed. When I was younger and would die my hair fun colors I use to let them pick the color and cut.

mom2girlies
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
My stylist recommended this website. You can upload a picture of yourself and see what different styles look like. It's fun- not a perfect solution, but gives a general idea what would look good. We looked at options on her laptop before she cut my hair. I'd have a hard time trusting someone with a big change, If I didn't know their work.

http://www.thehairstyler.com/

Hope this helps!

deannanb
09-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Do it! Just think of yourself on one of those tv makeover shows!

if you don't like it, you can grow your hair out!

sste
09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
This is the only way I ever get my hair cut . . . but I EXTENSIVELY research the particular stylist (yelp reviews, word of mouth, asking people with great hair on the street). A gifted stylist will likely have a better sense than you - - or at least me - - of what will look good with a particular face.

pb&j
09-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, it's just hair. It grows back.

(Says the woman who is currently growing out her stylist-recommended cut.) ;)

egoldber
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I do give my stylist pretty much free reign. But I know her and trust her. I would not do that with a new person. My hair is difficult to cut IMO, it's thick and has "funny" characteristics that can take awhile for a stylist to get to know.

karenj2
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I did it - I've lived in our current house for 11 years, and for a long time I never found a hairstylist I liked, so I kept letting my hair grow LONG. The first time I did Locks of Love, I went to a salon because they'd cut & style my hair for free - I was pretty particular about it (I don't use hair products, and I wasn't willing to blow dry it), so they gave me a shoulder length cut and I hated it afterwards.

The second time I did Locks of Love, I went to a place recommended by some coworkers, and although I told the lady that I don't use hair products, I let her do what she thought was best, and I LOVE my new style! (In fact, I kept going shorter and shorter - now I'm back to growing it out a bit...)

ryanmom
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes and I have done it before... hairstylists are usually pretty hesitant about this as he or she doesn't want to make you cry. Usually he or she will recommend a subtle change like long layers etc. Make sure you explain what your normal hair routine is (i.e. mine is to shower and put my hair in a ponytail or bun so my hairdresser leaves it long enough to do that), if you use products or not, and how much time you have to do your hair. You don't want to get a new cut that takes an hour to style when you only have ten minutes. I have done it and gone from long to short as well but I'm pretty easy going with my hair. My husband, on the other hand, has seen my short hair pics and requested that I maintain long hair... there is something about guys and long hair.

ThreeofUs
09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'd do it with a stylist who got really rave reviews from people whose hair I thought looked great, but not otherwise.

hellokitty
09-09-2009, 05:57 PM
ONly if it were my trusted hair stylist that I have been going to for years and years who knows me. I'm asian american and every time I go to a new stylist, they always want to give me brown highlights, which I think is a look that looks AWFUL on asians, b/c they end up with that weird orangish looking hair. So far in my entire life, I have only ever had two stylists that could cut my hair (and we're not talking anything complicated), w/o screwing it up. My hair is super straight and everyone else who cuts it, hacks it up, to the point where it looks awful and choppy. I've cried many a time after bad haircuts.