PDA

View Full Version : DC's responses to Obama's speech

marie
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
When DD1 got home from school today, I emptied out her backpack and the following conversation happened:

Me: Oh, looks like there's some homework.
DD: Yes, it's due tomorrow. I better do it now.
Me: Okay, whatever.

I sit next to DD and watch her carefully pick up a tiny pencil and do a whole Handwriting Without Tears picking up pencil technique.

DD: Obrack Obama told us to do our homework.
Me: Oh, really?

She writes her name. She asks me to help her with our phone number. She messes up the first number, erases, and tries again. (doing the whole HWT thing again)

DD: Ya know why I'm trying again?
Me: Um, why?
DD: Obrack Obama told us to "don't give up." So, I'm going to try the 4 again.
Me: So what else did Barack Obama say?
DD: He said to stay in school and not cut school.

So that was an almost-6-year-old's take on Barack Obama's address to school children. What I'd like to know is how come I have to ask her to do something 10 times and answer 10 different questions about *why* she has to do something but "Obrack" says it and *poof* she's doing it?!?! I guess that's the brainwashing folks were afraid of!

This was her first ever homework assignment. Imagine the POTUS telling you to do your homework on the first day of ever getting homework?!

So, did anyone else get a report from their DC about the speech?

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

egoldber
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
That's cute. :)

Sarah didn't mention it, but I forgot to ask.

Snow mom
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh no! Obrack brainwashed her into doing her homework ;) Very cute. I think you should put the story in a memory book.

maestramommy
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
That's very cool!

You never know who was reached today;)

egoldber
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
And homework was a battle here tonight. Wishing we had had some of that Obrack homework mojo....

deenass
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
DS saw the speech in his first grade class today. He told me that he learned that he should set goals for himself, like doing his homework.

I'm pretty pleased that DS got to see the speech, and taht he listened (to some of it at least!)

newnana
09-08-2009, 11:10 PM
DD is only 4 and not in school, but based on those miraculous results, I would really like Obama to say something to the effect of:

"listen to your mother"

"bathroom words are for the bathroom"

"knock when mommy is in the bathroom"

"when daddy is around and mommy is busy, ask daddy"

I could think of so many.

Hooray for your little one listening and picking up good stuff! :applause:

katydid1971
09-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Great story, so glad you DD got such a great lesson from Obrack. I read the story to my mom and we've beed talking about Obrack since ;) Love it!!!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-09-2009, 01:18 AM
When DD1 got home from school today, I emptied out her backpack and the following conversation happened:

I sit next to DD and watch her carefully pick up a tiny pencil and do a whole Handwriting Without Tears picking up pencil technique.

She writes her name. She asks me to help her with our phone number. She messes up the first number, erases, and tries again. (doing the whole HWT thing again)

So that was an almost-6-year-old's take on Barack Obama's address to school children. What I'd like to know is how come I have to ask her to do something 10 times and answer 10 different questions about *why* she has to do something but "Obrack" says it and *poof* she's doing it?!?! I guess that's the brainwashing folks were afraid of!

This was her first ever homework assignment. Imagine the POTUS telling you to do your homework on the first day of ever getting homework?!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

I think since Obrack is a parent to lo's himself he knows what it is like.
Obrack is too cute!:ROTFLMAO:
My DD is 2 and says Bama.

JustMe
09-09-2009, 01:23 AM
That's great. Yeah, I would love "Obrack" to tell dd to listen to her mother, eat healthy, etc, in addition to what he said today! I could use some presidential back up around here...

Dd's school starts tomorrow, so I am thinking they will not show it, but hoping they somehow will..

citymama
09-09-2009, 02:57 AM
That's a great story. I'll have to play the replay on youtube for DD and see what she thinks. So cool!

sunshine873
09-09-2009, 08:22 AM
That's adorable! Definitely write that down in a book of memories - that'll be something cool to look back on some day. :)

I'm glad to hear about the speech from a kid's perspective - thanks for sharing!

mommylamb
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
That is so cute!! My DS is 2, but he recognizes Obama on TV. He calls him Omama. The thing is, prior to the election, DS couldn't say mama (as in, in reference to me). The day of the inauguration, I asked DS if he knew who the man on the TV was, and he said Omama. So, he was mama before I was...

mamicka
09-09-2009, 09:08 AM
That's really cute! Put it in the baby book for sure, what a memory for her to have.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

Happy 2B mommy
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Too cute! DD is obsessed with Barack Obama. DD got a bunny for Easter from her strongly GOP grandma and she promptly named it 'Barack Obama bunny'.

G&D
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh my goodness, that is such an adorable story! :heartbeat:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
My DD and I were walking one day, she saw a flag and called it Bama. We do the "Obama Bump" instead of high 5. She loves Obama, and when she saw McCain during the election, instead of booing, she "mooed". It was hilarious!She claps every time she see Bama.

marie
09-09-2009, 09:30 PM
DD is only 4 and not in school, but based on those miraculous results, I would really like Obama to say something to the effect of:

"listen to your mother"

"bathroom words are for the bathroom"

"knock when mommy is in the bathroom"

"when daddy is around and mommy is busy, ask daddy"

I could think of so many.

That's great. Yeah, I would love "Obrack" to tell dd to listen to her mother, eat healthy, etc, in addition to what he said today! I could use some presidential back up around here...

no kidding. I am seriously considering writing a letter to Michelle Obama (an appeal to the first mom, if you will) to tell her about DD's conversation with me and ask her if she could suggest some of these tidbits for any future presidential addresses to the nation's youth!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

marie
09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Too cute! DD is obsessed with Barack Obama. DD got a bunny for Easter from her strongly GOP grandma and she promptly named it 'Barack Obama bunny'.

i love it!
i haven't told my strongly GOP parents what their granddaughter thought of the speech yet. i'm sure it will be met by groans and eyerolls!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

zag95
09-09-2009, 11:01 PM
[quote=marie;2471080]no kidding. I am seriously considering writing a letter to Michelle Obama (an appeal to the first mom, if you will) to tell her about DD's conversation with me and ask her if she could suggest some of these tidbits for any future presidential addresses to the nation's youth!

Do it!!! I sent a first birthday card to President Obama, and got a response back! I bet you'd get one... and you could put the story with the "response" from Obrack:bighand: