PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a cheese to try with crackers

slworld
09-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I bought a box of the TJ's Wheat & Flax crackers and liked them a lot. I was wondering they may taste even better with some cheese. I am not a big cheese person and the only ones I have used are cheddar, mozzarella & parmesan. I am looking for some recommendations to try with crackers (or to eat as is maybe :-)). I don't want anything too strong or stinky (don't think I am ready for that yet). And please give me the name of the cheese and not just a type like soft cheese since I won't know where/what to start.

Thanks

cmo
09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
To start slow, I'd take a look at your supermarket's deli section. (As opposed to the dairy section, where you find shredded Kraft, Cracker Barrel, american cheese slices, etc.) I am not a huge cheese adventurist, but have really enjoyed some of the White Cheddar (Boar's Head and small brands from Vermont/New York) and Brie that I've found there.

DietCokeLover
09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I love Gouda and Brie.

smiles33
09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
My favorite "mainstream" cheese is a Spanish one, Manchego. It's a mild, firm white cheese, so not stinky like a blue cheese or super creamy/soft like Brie or Triple Creme. It's also in most grocery store cheese cases (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Luckys/Safeway, etc).

MMMommy
09-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I am not a fan of "stinky" cheeses or Swiss cheese. DH and DDs love all cheeses, stinky or not. I really like Havarti cheese, Muenster, and Gouda. They are not "stinky" at all.

tylersmama
09-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Gouda, Havarti, Muenster, and Brie are some of my favorites.

MontrealMum
09-10-2009, 01:37 AM
For that particular type of cracker (I finished off a box last night!) I'd recommend something mild since the cracker itself has a flavor to it.

So, mild cheddar, Gouda (reg., not smoked), Edam, Babybel (the larger size) Havarti (plain, not flavored w/peppers or anything). Kerry Gold and other Irish style cheeses are mild too. Mozza or Bocconcini are very mild, but so much so that they often have little taste, and do better w/tomato or something else added. *Maybe* Gruyere or Emmenthal if you like stronger tastes. You could also try a spreadable cheese like goat, camembert or brie but again, only if you like a stronger flavor. If you don't like strong, try cream cheese - but know that it's procesed cheese. If you like the combo of a strong flavor in cracker + strong cheese I'd check out some of the English cheeses like Cheshire or Double Gloucester. Lancashire is a little milder as is Red Leister (I think?).

I am a cheese nut :) I have never met a cheese I haven't liked. Ok, now I am hungry again...is there a hungry smilie? What did I do with that extra hunk of feta???

ETA: none of the strong cheeses I mentioned is stinky, like bleu or gorgonzolla. Just stronger than colby!

Piglet
09-10-2009, 02:11 AM
My fave cheese for crackers is Tillamook aged cheddar. It is available at WF and TJs and a bunch of other stores depending on where you live (it is made in Oregon).

wendibird22
09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
I love love love Wensleydale Cranberry cheese. The touch of sweet is great combo with the cheese. It's from the UK (I have had the luxury of actually going to the Wensleydale farm) but my local Wegmans started carrying it a few years ago. It's in the gourmet cheese section. I have gotten my entire family hooked on it. It now shows up at every family gathering.

http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/wensleyand.html

lizzywednesday
09-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Also, if your market has a specialty cheese section, ask the folks behind the counter if you can taste a few. They should be more than happy to help you out!

Twoboos
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
KerryGold "The Dubliner" is addictive. Proceed with caution!!! :) I think it's a parm/moz mix. Mmmmmm my mouth is watering.

lizzywednesday
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
KerryGold "The Dubliner" is addictive. Proceed with caution!!! :) I think it's a parm/moz mix. Mmmmmm my mouth is watering.

I <3 KerryGold cheeses.

Dubliner would definitely go well with a hearty cracker! (I think it's a bit nuttier than parmesan, though.)

maidofclay
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I am an avid cheese lover, including 'stinky' ones that I have missed terribly while prego, but a really nice, mild one I tried recently was an applewood smoked cheddar. A little goes a long way, but it was delish on crackers. I tend to find Gouda and Brie not really to my taste, so if you are leery of funny cheeses you might avoid those. Goat cheese is also nice with chives/etc or cranberries, but it does have sort of a 'dry' tang to it. Ditto on the :thumbsup: to Tillamok cheddar - very good and our preferred cheddar in the house for anything I cook or just by itself. Another fave for crackers is scamorza -aka- smoked mozzerella. I have to keep myself from eating the whole thing at once and it is delicious with tomatoes, basil and basalmic vinegar.

Mmmm, wish I had some more of that applewood cheddar now...
L

Tondi G
10-09-2009, 11:34 PM
We love Brie cheese in our family! Eat the soft inside not the white outside (this part is strong). We also enjoy Smoked Gouda. My mom has recently taken a liking to a cheddar cheese with caramelized onion in it .. she found it at Trader Joes and always has some in her fridge now!