View Full Version : Ellen DeGeneres is new 'American Idol' judge

deannanb
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090910/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_american_idol_degeneres

I'm excited - I like Ellen!
:bighand:

LarsMal
09-09-2009, 10:04 PM
DH told me this tonight and I didn't believe him. I love Ellen so I'll definitely tune in to see how she does. I hope she doesn't tell everyone how wonderful they are- like she did when she joined the SYTYCD judges for a night.

kayte
09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090910/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_american_idol_degeneres

I'm excited - I like Ellen!
:bighand:

You do love Ellen--- but did you watch Idol before??? Keeping secrets from me?? lol

I have seen Idol before, I bet she will be great --- but I am out of the loop --who is the other judge? I thought there were only three to start with--the article says she makes 4.

Melaine
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I think she will be great on the show. We haven't watched in a couple seasons but I will tune in to see how she does.

deannanb
09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I watch Idol at the beginning when everyone is bad and makes you laugh -
and then at the very end when there are 4 or 5 people left

and the Judges are Randy, Simon and Kara (I think she was a former idol contestant) I'm sure someone who watches the show more than I do will know! =)

LarsMal
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Kara (I think she was a former idol contestant) I'm sure someone who watches the show more than I do will know! =)

No, she's a song writer. She's written some hits- of course can't think of any off the top of my head. Definitely some of Kelly Clarkson's songs. I think she wanted to be a singer, but wasn't making it so stuck with the song writing.

Wow- I watch too much Idol!!

ourbabygirl
09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
That's really cool that Ellen is a new host- I think she could add some spunk and a great sense of humor- I might even think of watching it now. What's Paula's new career step? I used to love her in the 90's!

deannanb
09-09-2009, 10:29 PM
No, she's a song writer. She's written some hits- of course can't think of any off the top of my head. Definitely some of Kelly Clarkson's songs. I think she wanted to be a singer, but wasn't making it so stuck with the song writing.

Wow- I watch too much Idol!!

Thanks for watching too much Idol! I knew someone would know who Kara was!

melrose7
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Sorry, but I can't stand Ellen. Not happy with that choice at all. This will be one show I can cross off my list for the spring. Too bad, the kids liked to dance to the music.

TwinFoxes
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I think this show has officially "jumped the shark" with this move. I don't have anything against Ellen, but I just can't imagine the show with her, she's too goofy.

I wonder how she'll react to Simon being a jerk to her (because he's a jerk to everyone, which is why we love him!)

I don't think Kara wrote any of Kelly Clarkson's hits, just songs on her album. Or any hits for that matter.

Paula Abdul's an idiot. They were offering her what, $8 million/year to judge? Where is she going to make $8 million as a mid-40s former pop star? Her ego got the best of her. I like her, but I think she's going into the "whatever happened to?" hall of fame.

veronica
09-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Well, i have to say that I was bummed that Paula was gone and mad about Kara, who is just riding this gravy train and is no good on the show!

But, adding Ellen would make the show a bit more lighthearted. She'll be like the female version of the "Hoff" for the show!

catpagmo
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree about Ellen being a bit goofy for the show, as a judge. I love her, and think she's hilarious, but what is she going to do as a judge? I don't get it.

AnnieW625
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I :heartbeat: Ellen but that is just wrong! Ellen has never once been in the music business and honestly after Ryan has spent 8 years on the show and 15+ in the radio industry I think he is a more qualified person to judge talent than Ellen.

Fox makes enough money off American Idol that I can sort of see why Paula wants more money, but honestly I think Fox lowballed her to get rid of her. I will miss Paula and all her quirkiness. I would much prefer Simon, Randy, and a guest judge every week over Kara, and Ellen. Four judges is just too much!

arivecchi
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I like Ellen, but agree with a PP that this show jumped the shark the season before last and tried to fix it by adding Kara. IMO, they were not successful.

Twoboos
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Ellen has never once been in the music business and honestly after Ryan has spent 8 years on the show and 15+ in the radio industry I think he is a more qualified person to judge talent than Ellen.

:yeahthat: Did you see Ellen judge on SYTYCD? Total waste of time. She had no real feedback - just "wow you're great" type things. Even though Paula was a flake, at least she had experience in the industry and would occasionally say something to actually help the contestants (when she wasn't talking about their aura color for the day, LOL).

AnnieW625
09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
:yeahthat: Did you see Ellen judge on SYTYCD? Total waste of time. She had no real feedback - just "wow you're great" type things. Even though Paula was a flake, at least she had experience in the industry and would occasionally say something to actually help the contestants (when she wasn't talking about their aura color for the day, LOL).

No I didn't. I actually can't watch a whole episode od SYTYCD because it's very boring to me. I did like Melissa who is one of the teachers at DD's ballet school and honestly only really watched it for the first time because of that.

LarsMal
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I think this show has officially "jumped the shark" with this move. I don't have anything against Ellen, but I just can't imagine the show with her, she's too goofy.

I wonder how she'll react to Simon being a jerk to her (because he's a jerk to everyone, which is why we love him!)

I don't think Kara wrote any of Kelly Clarkson's hits, just songs on her album. Or any hits for that matter.

Paula Abdul's an idiot. They were offering her what, $8 million/year to judge? Where is she going to make $8 million as a mid-40s former pop star? Her ego got the best of her. I like her, but I think she's going into the "whatever happened to?" hall of fame.

Tell us how you really feel?!!??! ;)

Globetrotter
09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I love Ellen, but what does she know about music? this will be interesting, for sure (maybe that's the whole point... it's not like AI is a true talent contest, after all).

TwinFoxes
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Tell us how you really feel?!!??! ;)

Yeah, I realized I outted myself as a major Idol fan(atic)! :D

BeachBum
09-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I didn't love Kara for most of the show. But I really liked her more at the finale where she did the bikini babe spoof. It made her seem more real--funny, personable etc. Overall I think she grew on me and is a good addition to the show.
I like Ellen. But I hope she can offer real feedback--not just platitudes.

713abc
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I guess I'm the only one, but I love Kara!

TwinFoxes
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
(since I've already admitted to being a crazy Idol fan I'll comment again)

I didn't love Kara for most of the show. But I really liked her more at the finale where she did the bikini babe spoof. It made her seem more real--funny, personable etc.

:yeahthat: I was pretty anti-Kara, but when she took on bikini girl the last show she totally won me over. She was obviously shy about flashing her own bikini, and it was charming. And nice bod!