PDA

View Full Version : Please post your favorite SOUP/STEW/CHILI recipes!

alien_host
09-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Now that fall is around the corner.

TIA!

lizzywednesday
09-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Vegetarian Black Bean Chili (with Cornmeal Dumplings)

For the Chili:

1 lb. Dried black beans, sorted, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 c. red bell pepper, diced
1 c. yellow bell pepper, diced
1 c. onion, diced
½ c. jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce, minced
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes & juice
2 c. V-8 (or equivalent) juice
1 14-½ -oz. Can vegetable broth
2 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, broken

For the Dumplings:

½ c. All-purpose flour
½ c. masa harina (fine ground cornmeal)
1 tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 egg, beaten
½ c. milk, slightly warmed
1 ½ Tbsp. Crisco (or equivalent), melted
1 ½ tsp. Honey
¾ c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
½ c. cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. jalapeno peppers, minced

Method:

1. Sort beans and remove any stones or imperfect beans. Rinse and drain. Place beans in a large pot. Cover with cold water by 2”.
2. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until beans are tender. Drain beans, discard cooking liquid and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a chili pot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapenos and garlic. Sauté over medium heat until onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the chipotle pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
5. Stir in cooked beans, tomatoes, V-8, broth and chocolate. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
6. To make dumpling batter: Sift together flour, masa harina, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl, combine egg, milk, Crisco and honey.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix only until batter is combined. Gently stir in the corn, cheese and jalapenos.
8. Spray a small (3 Tbsp. size) ice cream scoop with nonstick cooking spray. After chili has simmered for 30 minutes, drop batter by scoopfuls on top of chili, along the outside edge. Don’t let them touch.
9. Cover and let the dumplings cook for 15-20 minutes. Keep chili simmering and DON’T PEEK. The steam you’re trapping with the pot cover is cooking the dumplings! Dumplings should be firm on top and moist in the middle when done.

Liz-notes on the dish:
If chipotle peppers are unavailable in your area or you are making this for kids, but you can find fresh poblano peppers, roast the poblanos, either in your oven or on the stovetop and use them instead. Roasting the poblano peppers gave them a slightly smoky, more mellow flavor and this is what you’re looking for in this dish. Feel free to experiment with this, though!

Also, I have substituted poblano peppers for jalapenos in this dish when trying to make it for less spice-tolerant palates and it's turned out fine. Poblanos are lower on the Scoville scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale) than jalapenos and work out well in dishes that call for jalapenos!

alien_host
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
That chili and dumplings recipe sounds great, thanks so much for sharing!

marie
09-14-2009, 08:15 AM
this is one of my favorite, super easy autumn soups:

http://accidentalscientist.blogspot.com/2006/11/sunshine-to-wash-away-darkness.html

i've used acorn, butternut, and kabocha squashes. I've also played with the seasonings (eg curry powder instead of chili powder).

i'm making some tomorrow night as part of our community's localvore challenge!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

lizzywednesday
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
That chili and dumplings recipe sounds great, thanks so much for sharing!

I've forgotten where it came from, but it's a staple for my mom & stepdad. I've made it for kids (my 5 cousins, who were all under the age of 15 at the time) and did find that they weren't nuts about the texture of the dumplings, so you might want to play with the leaveners and bake the dumpling batter as bread or muffins instead.

I think that I used a pepperoncini pepper instead of the jalapenos the recipe called for in the dumplings at that point because I was making it for the kids ... or you can omit them altogether if you prefer.

My husband likes it, but wants me to add meat. I told him that defeats the purpose!

lizzywednesday
09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
this is one of my favorite, super easy autumn soups:

http://accidentalscientist.blogspot.com/2006/11/sunshine-to-wash-away-darkness.html

i've used acorn, butternut, and kabocha squashes. I've also played with the seasonings (eg curry powder instead of chili powder).

i'm making some tomorrow night as part of our community's localvore challenge!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

I love squash soup! (I keep having this great squash soup at Angelica Kitchen in NYC ... and never make the time to find the recipe in my Angelica cookbook. DH hates squash. So sad.)

MMMommy
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Black Bean and Beef Chili

Ingredients
2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion (chopped)

4 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
4 tablespoons chili powder (California or New Mexico)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp seasoned salt
3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
cayenne pepper to taste

Directions
1. Brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set ground beef aside.

2. Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and onion. Saute until softened. Add ground beef and remaining ingredients, except beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Add black beans; simmer 20 minutes. Serve with shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired.

tylersmama
09-16-2009, 12:54 AM
My sister recently shared this one with me, and I LOVE it:

Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew (http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/fasteasyfresh/2009/05/curried_cauliflower_and_chickpea_stew)

ohiomom1121
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
This is DH and I's favorite!
Easy Tuscan Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. Italian Sausage meat (I use Bob Evans spicy)
3 tbsp oil
3 red potatoes cut into medium dice size
1 small diced onion
3 tbsp flour
2 cups stewed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp each of oregano, thyme, basil
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Method:
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown the sausage, drain excess fat. Wash and brush the potatoes. Cut into medium size dice.
Add the oil, potatoes and onion and fry until the onions are translucent. Add the flour, reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the tomatoes and broth, simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Serve very hot.

Jackieluv
11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
This is the most Amazing recipe....everyone who has tried it falls in love with it!!

One Pot Dinner

> 1/2-1 POUND HAMBURGER
> 3/4 POUND OF BACON, CUT IN SMALL PIECES
> 1 CUP CHOPPED ONION
> 2 31 OZ. CANS OF PORK AND BEANS
> 1 1 POUND CAN OF KIDNEY BEANS DRAINED
> 1 CUP KETCHUP
> 1 1 POUND CAN OF BUTTER LIMA BEANS, DRAINED
> 1/4 CUP OF BROWN SUGAR
> 1 TABLESPOON OF LIQUID SMOKE
> 3 TABLESPOONS OF WHITE VINEGAR
> 1 TEASPOON OF SALT
> DASH OF PEPPER
>
> BROWN GROUND BEEF IN SKILET; DRAIN OFF FAT AND PUT BEEF IN CROCK POT.
> BROWN BACON AND ONIONS; DRAIN OFF FAT. ADD BACON, ONIONS AND REMAINING
> INGREDIENTS TO CROCKPOT. STIR WELL. COVER AND COOK ON LOW 4-9 HOURS.
>
>

srhs
11-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Did you want crazy-easy stuff? I think this might have originally come from Fix-It and Forget-It, but I was given it by a friend.

1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can green chilies
1 c. taco sauce
4 frozen chicken breasts

shredded cheddar cheese
taco chips
sour cream

Combine the first 5 ingredients in crockpot. Place frozen chicken breasts on top. Cook on low for 6-7 house. Remove chicken breasts to plate, shred into bite-size pieces and place back in crockpot. In bowls, top with shredded cheese, taco chips, and sour cream.

*I've subbed dried beans soaked overnight. Also, Ro-Tel type tomatoes work well for more spice. Recipe is very mild, fyi.