PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tips please...

jgenie
09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I have a couple of problems I thought someone might be able to shed some light on.

- We use cloth napkins, placemats, and table towels as well as cloth bibs and wipes for DS. Some of my napkins and DS' bibs are really stained. Is there any way to make them look better and remove the stains? I was hoping for a natural cleaner if possible.

- We have stone tile in our entry way and our kitchen. A few weeks ago I wiped up a spill with a white napkin after the floor was mopped and the napkin turned gray from the floor. I figured it was the mop head so I replaced it, but tested the floor after mopping on Friday and the cloth still turned gray. Any tips on getting my floor really clean?

TIA

jgenie
09-14-2009, 07:59 AM
:BUMP: Anyone?

marie
09-14-2009, 09:10 AM
in our previous house, the only thing that worked on our tile floor was a steam mop. Even then, I still would get a little bit of gray on the microfiber cloth that I'd use to dry the floor. Of course, it might have helped if I washed the floor more then once a month. :hysterical:

For the napkins, we let DD use one color (she chose pink, imagine that). The pink are stained and i haven't worked at getting the stains out. I figure we'll just toss the pink after a few years' use.

HTH!

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

writermama
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
For the napkins, we let DD use one color (she chose pink, imagine that). The pink are stained and i haven't worked at getting the stains out. I figure we'll just toss the pink after a few years' use.

Oh, that's a great idea. It also solves the problem that my DD has with losing track of which napkin is hers so she ends up using other napkins by mistake.

ladysoapmaker
09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Several years ago my parents installed terra cotta tiles (unglazed) in the Kitchen. They ended up getting stained by the grout (black). One day when dad did something and accidentally spilled some vinegar and was wiping it up the the stained came out at that area. So he went an got a big bottle of white vinegar and cleaned the entire floor. It worked beautifully. If you try that I would test a small section first before doing anything else. Depending on how the tiles are finished it may not work well.

Good luck,
Jen

edurnemk
09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Several years ago my parents installed terra cotta tiles (unglazed) in the Kitchen. They ended up getting stained by the grout (black). One day when dad did something and accidentally spilled some vinegar and was wiping it up the the stained came out at that area. So he went an got a big bottle of white vinegar and cleaned the entire floor. It worked beautifully. If you try that I would test a small section first before doing anything else. Depending on how the tiles are finished it may not work well.

Good luck,
Jen

Vinegar does work wonders but in the book Green up your clean up, it says it shouldn't be used to often on tile because it can damage grout, and when you do use it, you should rinse it off right away.

marie
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh, that's a great idea. It also solves the problem that my DD has with losing track of which napkin is hers so she ends up using other napkins by mistake.

hope it helps you because i know it can be pretty gross to accidentally use DD's napkin. Bed, Bath & Beyond has sets of bright, solid napkins (2 each of 5 different colors) so we each have assigned colors.

now, if you have a solution for a child who drops her napkin on the floor 10 times a meal, I'm all ears. . .

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

marie
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Vinegar does work wonders but in the book Green up your clean up, it says it shouldn't be used to often on tile because it can damage grout, and when you do use it, you should rinse it off right away.

also, I believe, if you have natural stone, vinegar can etch it since it's an acid. i would do a trial in a hidden spot first.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07