PDA

View Full Version : Label help - WWYD?

WatchingThemGrow
09-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm getting ready to order Mabels Labels for DS2 for his stuff that goes to the church/gym nursery. They've got this Mabels Moolah thing (gymbucks) going on, which tempts me to order more. We have lots of things that we want to use for all 3 DC over the years, so I'm going to get a set with all their initials on it.

Would you do "A,T, or J Lastname" (traditional, grammatically correct)
or "A, T or J Lastname" omitting the comma (cleaner, acceptable I think) or something else? Our last name is common enough that ____ Family won't work.

o_mom
09-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm getting ready to order Mabels Labels for DS2 for his stuff that goes to the church/gym nursery. They've got this Mabels Moolah thing (gymbucks) going on, which tempts me to order more. We have lots of things that we want to use for all 3 DC over the years, so I'm going to get a set with all their initials on it.

Would you do "A,T, or J Lastname" (traditional, grammatically correct)
or "A, T or J Lastname" omitting the comma (cleaner, acceptable I think) or something else? Our last name is common enough that ____ Family won't work.

Either one is grammatically correct. Depends on your feelings about the serial comma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma).

Snow mom
09-10-2009, 08:30 AM
I guess I like serial commas-- I'd go with the first. I agree that the last comma isn't necessary if you don't like it.

lizzywednesday
09-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I am not a fan of the serial comma and tend to associate its use with British usage rather than American usage.

This is mostly due to the overuse of the comma in most folks' writing because they don't always understand why they ought to use punctuation ... and why they oughtn't!

egoldber
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I prefer without the serial comma. I think it's cleaner and less confusing.

mecawa
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't know. Either one is good/acceptable, imo. The last one (without the serial comma) does seem cleaner, less confusing almost. Although the first one is the grammatically correct one. I think I would go with the second, it's acceptable and easier to understand/look at.

WatchingThemGrow
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm leaning toward the second, but I guess my REAL question is...How do I respond to the retired, persnickety 5th grade teacher MIL who will comment on how I did it wrong every single time she touches something with a label on it. Maybe I'll give her O_mom's wikipedia link. No, she'll still harumph every time. I'm certain.

egoldber
09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I was taught in school NOT to use the serial comma. It is very much a style preference.

And seriously, does your MIL have nothing better to worry about?