PDA

View Full Version : Are Evites tacky for a baby shower??

ohiomom1121
09-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm helping throw a baby shower for an old friend. She's having her 3rd baby, but we found out she never had a shower for her first. (We were all high school friends who lost touch, and have reconnected through Facebook!) I'm trying to decide on invitations and someone suggested evites. I like how easy they are, and that you actually tend to get RSVPs, but I don't want to be tacky. What do you think???

vonfirmath
09-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Most of the baby showers I have attended have been evites. I LOVE it.

Jen841
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Easy and green. Evite is great!

lizzywednesday
09-10-2009, 10:42 AM
If you're not responsible for inviting elderly relatives, go for the eVites!

(I would've done that for my sister if I didn't have to invite our grandmothers and great-aunts!)

Andi98989
09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
My friends did that for my shower and it worked out great!

DebbieJ
09-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Hmmm....I'm in the tacky camp on this.

But I would suppose it depends on how formal/casual of a shower you are throwing.

AnnieW625
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I like paper invites, but I see nothing wrong with Evite.

arivecchi
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I agree with Annie. I prefer paper invites for baby showers, but do not see anything wrong with using Evite.

ohiomom1121
09-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I just found a site called Pingg that you can send a paper invite as well. I'm thinking of using that, and sending the guest of honor a paper one so she can keep it. Anyone tried that? I'm still iffy on the tacky thing, but I think being her 3rd it's ok...still deciding??!!

MoJo
09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
You all reconnected through the power of the internet, so I think that weighs in favor of the Evite. I like the paper option for anyone else you may want to invite, and for a memento for the guest of honor.

I think it's great that you are hosting this shower/reunion for your friends!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I find etiquette to be VERY regional. Tacky in one area is fine in another. What is standard in the area? Are evites common? I personally think it its fine. Etiquette has changed so much the past 20 years...

Globetrotter
09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I say go for it. If anyone questions it, say you are going green! Seriously, think of all the paper we save by using evites!

citymama
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
In recent months, all the baby shower invites I've received (mine included) were via evite. I think the last paper invite I received was about 5 years ago. So yes, I think they're great - and as the PP says, much more green!

larig
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I just found a site called Pingg that you can send a paper invite as well. I'm thinking of using that, and sending the guest of honor a paper one so she can keep it. Anyone tried that? I'm still iffy on the tacky thing, but I think being her 3rd it's ok...still deciding??!!

I used it when I threw DS's first bday party--I wanted the ability to send out some coordinating paper invites. I sent only a few paper invites (which looked nice! but were not cheap, but they mail them for you--BONUS!) and sent one to myself to keep, then for all my tech savvy people sent them electronically through pingg. I liked using pingg. My friends are the type of people who prefer electronic stuff.

bigpassport
09-10-2009, 02:55 PM
We did a "Save the Date" Evite. Then sent a photo invitation. Then sent out the Evite reminder a few days before. It worked well. One nice thing about the Evite was that we could easily add people who weren't on the original invite list without having to worry about having enough photo invitations, mailing, postage, etc. Evites also has the option of allowing your guests to invite other people.

larig
09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
BTW, as someone else pointed out, since you all reconnected via facebook, you can advertise the event on facebook too. when I used pingg it shared that.

slworld
09-10-2009, 04:03 PM
No, they are not tacky.

ohiomom1121
09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
BTW, as someone else pointed out, since you all reconnected via facebook, you can advertise the event on facebook too. when I used pingg it shared that.
I saw the link to that...I was wondering how that worked. Can you make it only visable to certain people?

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to go for it. Pingg has some really cute invites and I'm definitely sending the guest of honor one to keep. :)

hillview
09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I think they are great. Only issue would be if folks you are inviting are older/do not use the internet. Otherwise go for it!
/hillary

vludmilla
09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
There were evites for my SIL's shower and it worked out just fine. Green and easy.