PDA

View Full Version : Moving from infant to convertible on a budget

KpbS
09-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey there,

Asking for my sister whose 10 mo. is on the small side--Which convertible(s) out there are the best yet still budget friendly? Is the Scenera still a good choice?

TIA

jjordan
09-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Long-term it *might* be most budget-friendly to choose a seat like the Truefit or Radian that is likely to get the child all the way to a good booster age. If she gets a scenera now, she'll probably need a forward facing harnessed seat at some point, and then potentially a booster (depending on if the FF harnessed seat makes a good booster for the child). The down side to getting a TF or Radian now is that they are a relatively big expense all at once. **

I have heard of other budget-friendly convertibles that last a little longer than the scenera and have EPS foam, but I can't remember their names off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else will chime in with those soon!

**about the TF: Amazon has it on sale for $150 in cappuccino, BB&B will price match (in store, they'll place the online order for you), then use 20% off coupon to bring it to $120. If a manager will waive the $14 shipping, you get a $200 seat for $120 + tax.

codex57
09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
What's that $90 one? Triumph Advance? There's one for about $30 or $40 more than a Scenera (under $100 for sure) that's a much better buy IMO than the Scenera.

I love the Scenera, but only when $ is the absolute overwhelming primary concern. Like if you need one for only a short while, can be damaged without losing much, etc. Typically this means a travel car seat, altho many people use it just fine as their regular day to day car seat.

AnnieW625
09-10-2009, 05:59 PM
We had the prior Evenflo Triumph 5, which is now the Triumph Advance and it's a really nice seat! We bought ours for just over $100 from Albee Baby. The TA seems like a really good seat and DD really enjoyed using the Triumph 5. The EFTA ranges from $120 or so to $179 IIRC. If I had to buy an under $200 seat now the EFTA, the Roundabout 50, and the True Fit would be on my list; with probably the True Fit at the top! It's a really nice plush seat.

o_mom
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Safety 1st Avenue is around $75-80 at Sears/Kmart. Taller top slots than the Scenera and EPP foam. I think the EFTA has been spotted for $109 at AlbeeBaby (http://www.albeebaby.com/evenflo-triumph-advance-dlx-durango.html) and that would be the next step up in price - worth it in the long run if she can swing it.