PDA

View Full Version : How old was your DC when you stopped taking baths/showers with them?

arivecchi
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Just curious...

Piglet
09-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I hate baths and our tub is tiny, so no way would I get in with the kids. DH did it a few times with the boys. The kids all still bathe together though, which I am finding weird, but DS1 is not yet asking to bathe on his own and I am following his lead for now.

C99
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I stopped taking baths with DS1 in the last year or so - so about 5.

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
We had family baths when ds2 was born. I didn't bother with the infant tub- I just went in with him and ds1 loved being part of the fun. I started wearing my bathing suit most of the time when he was bout 6yo but I'm not die hard about that.

Beth

AnnieW625
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
We have never taken a bath with DD. Both DH and I are shower people and it wasn't until recently that DD started taking a shower and we haven't tried showering with her; DH probably never would. We just stand in the tub and rinse her hair like normal as she hasn't quite gotten the whole keep your eyes shut to be under the shower by herself. We have one of those removable shower heads. I never bathed with my parents either, just my brother who was 3 years younger until I was about 6.

DrSally
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
deleted

hillview
09-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I didn't vote/not sure how to answer. We don't typically bathe/shower with the boys. On occasion if DH is traveling and I break down and shower and a DS wants to join me, it is fine. DS #1 is 4 and was in the shower with me last week for about 2 mins. DS #2 was in with me and DS #1 wanted to be too. It wasn't a big deal but not something that we do often. I don't have an issue with it per se it just isn't part of our routine. At the pool, my dad or DH will shower with the boys (again rare)
/hillary

BeachBum
09-11-2009, 07:29 AM
My DS just turned 4 and we still shower or tub together a couple of times per week. We have an extremely large shower (two shower heads etc) so often all 5 of us will get in there together to speed things along. We also have a big bathtub and I bathe with the babies in there frequently. If he wants to get in with us, I let him.

Before he was this age, I had wondered if it would be weird. But so far it isn't at all. I think he will ultimately have less modesty bounderies with me because of the younger siblings. He usually wants to join in on what we are doing.

egoldber
09-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Sarah and I shower together all the time, Amy sometimes too although she does not really enjoy it.

Veronica's Mommy
09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
DD is 3 and 90% of her bathing is in the tub w/ DH or me. Occasionally she'll shower w/ me; rarely is she in the tub by herself. It is too much of a strain on my back to bend over the tub and clean her, it's easier to just get in there. Not to mention the bonding/playtime. I can't imagine changing things up any time soon. But when DS outgrows the baby tub we may have to re-evaluate.

pinkmomagain
09-11-2009, 09:11 AM
It just never occurred to me to bathe with my children. The shower has always been the only place I can get some uninterrupted me time for 10 minutes!

sarahsthreads
09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't get in the tub with DD1 (it's really not big enough an adult in there alone, let alone with a kidlet) but I will let her shower with me if she wants. It doesn't happen often because she really prefers taking baths, but if she's awake when I hop in the shower she'll sometimes ask to join me. DH has never showered with DD1, and considering the height she's at compared to him...that's probably a good thing. ;)

I'll just let DD1 take the lead in terms of showering together - when she decides it's uncomfortable, we'll stop. I imagine that will probably be about the time when she no longer needs or wants help when she takes baths.

Sarah :)

Meatball Mommie
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Just curious if you're asking in terms of logistics or a modesty thing.

While I don't bathe with my boys (now 6 and 4), I did when they were younger (both shower and bathtub). It's just too hard now that they're bigger and take up more space in the tub! The reason we stopped has nothing to do with nudity/modesty though. I see them naked all the time ;) and they see me and my husband naked too. I don't know when this will change, but I imagine it will at some point as they get older. I am not self conscious around them and we talk about body parts, etc. and that I don't have a penis lol ;)

Joolsplus2
09-11-2009, 11:31 AM
About 11...(but not like, daily or anything, just sometimes the older ones need help washing their hair)

hez
09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
It was the easiest way to get clean without DS making a mess, so I used to shower with him all the time when he was little. DD showered with me this morning after we dropped DS at the bus stop.

DS hadn't showered with me for most of the summer (other than occasionally at the pool), but last week asked if he could hop in with me & DD rather than shower on his own. It was a bit crowded, but he had fun entertaining her with the bath toys. It's never really been a big deal around here.

Corie
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
About 11...(but not like, daily or anything, just sometimes the older ones need help washing their hair)

Yes, this exactly! My 7.5 yrs. old daughter normally showers on her own but I don't
like how she washes her hair. So, occasionally, I will have her jump in
the shower with me. I like to really scrub her hair. :)

But, then I get out and she is in charge of soaping up her body.

Mamma2004
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
DS is five, just started kindergarten (that's its own story!) and I shower with him nearly every day. To be honest, it's faster and more convenient to shower with him, even though that means I don't get my "alone time" to enjoy the shower. It's just easier than bathing him AND taking a shower, KWIM?

I always thought of myself as very modest but becoming a mom must have changed that, at least within my family. I cannot imagine when I might suddenly feel uncomfortable in front of DS. Maybe I'll just take my cue from him; if HE ever shows signs of modesty or discomfort (regarding either his or my nudity), I guess that's when things will change.

JBaxter
09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I had both Jack & Nathan in the tub with me last week. We had a wonderful bubble bath in the whirlpool tub

Laurel
09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
DD and I shower together almost every day, otherwise she would never get her hair washed! Then we have some "girl time" and comb our hair, put on lotion, paint nails, etc. It is a nice routine for us and I hope it lasts a couple more years.

alexsmommy
09-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Mmm, really can't even remember when it stopped with DS1. Probably 3.5 ish or so? Basically when he really started noticing body differences and was focused on them (rather the the casual observation that mom and dad are different). I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with older ages, this was just my comfort zone. I think having worked with sexually abused children has warped my sense of physical
boundaries (as in over-compensate) here. DS2 still bangs on the door and tries to hop in whenever I do try to have a bath when he's awake and usually I just let him join in. I figure he's only little once so we have fun with it. If I want a quiet relaxing bath I know full well I need to wait until after he's asleep.

HIU8
09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Not sure how to vote. We don't take bathes with DS or DD. We never have. However, they both shower with us daily and have for at least the last 6 months, with really no end in site (DD is 2, DS is 4.5).

arivecchi
09-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Oh good. I'm not the only mommy still bathing with her toddler!

s7714
09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I've never taken baths with my DDs. Showers OTOH yes, but rarely. I think my older DD (6) showered once with me last year because she really needed a bath and we weren't going to have time to give her one for another day or two. As long as my DDs aren't embarrassed or bothered by sharing a shower, I don't have a problem still doing it once in a while either.