PDA

View Full Version : Fun thread: What is one random/quirky thing about yourself

kijip
09-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Mine is that I could wake up tomorrow with perfect vision and I would just go and get all of my glasses changed to non-corrective lenses and wear them anyway. My face without glasses looks really, really odd to me now. The glasses might as well be part of my face. I truly need them to see, but over the years it has become as much a fashion accessory as a health need.

SpaceGal
09-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I have to agree with the glasses thing...I been wearing glasses since I was in 2nd grade. I used to wear contact lenses a lot but after I started having kids and being a SAHM I just wear glasses 99% of the time. My kids think I look different without my glasses.

As for my one random quirky thing about myself, that no matter how hot is it outside at night when I sleep I have to have a blanket over me...if not at least a sheet. In addition to that, I have to take the hottest showers possible...even in the middle of the summer. For some reason, I feel like the hot water cleans better...I do however, rinse off with nice cool water. My DH thinks I'm so odd with the "scalding" hot showers and the blankets.

MontrealMum
09-11-2009, 02:12 AM
It's very hard to narrow my quirkiness down to one thing :) I like to think that I'm a very quirky, not just odd, person. ITA with the blankets and hot hot showers!!! I know I am singlehandedly adding to our electricity bill but they're both soooo hard to give up. Luckily, electricity is cheap in Quebec! I'm sorry, but I would probably be very glad to give up my glasses, though I do find myself trying to push them up when I'm wearing contacts!

I guess to add to the discussion, I will put forth my many food issues. I do not like my foods to touch each other. I also have what my DH refers to as "compartments"; like a cow (nice!). What he means is that I may fill up my salad compartment, or fruit compartment, or whatever, but will still have room for something completely different like the main dish, or dessert. The way I see it is that my stomach is like one of those divided plates :) I like variety. Not all my meal calories from one course. DH does not get this as when he's full, he's full - whatver he filled himself up with.

ellies mom
09-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Mine is that I could wake up tomorrow with perfect vision and I would just go and get all of my glasses changed to non-corrective lenses and wear them anyway. My face without glasses looks really, really odd to me now. The glasses might as well be part of my face. I truly need them to see, but over the years it has become as much a fashion accessory as a health need.

I usually wear contact because I need to wear sunglasses if it is remotely sunny out but I love my glasses and wear them when I can. I would definitely get non-corrective lenses put in.

Hmm, what is quirky about me? I'm a total beer snob. I don't drink wine. I can't make a mixed drink other than a rum and coke to save my life. Heck, I don't like most mixed drinks. But hand me a beer and I'm a happy girl. But not just any beer. Other than the occasion dunkler bock (dark lager), I drink ales, an amber at the lightest. Newcastle Brown Ale is my favorite. Guiness is the good for you. One of the things I love about the Pacific Northwest is the beer.

ha98ed14
09-11-2009, 03:23 AM
I can sing "Row, Row, Row your boat" backwards.

kijip
09-11-2009, 03:28 AM

That is impressive. :jammin:

MichelleRC
09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
I have many quirks but the one that comes to mind first is that when I am shopping I can not buy the first can/box/book/whatever on the shelf. I have to reach back and take one from the middle.

Oh, and I have to have a blanket or at least a sheet on me when I sleep too.

hellokitty
09-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I have many quirks but the one that comes to mind first is that when I am shopping I can not buy the first can/box/book/whatever on the shelf. I have to reach back and take one from the middle.

I do that too and I swear that the employees at the store probably hate me digging through stuff. I try not to make a big mess. One reason I also do it, is b/c I'm always searching for the latest exp date and I HATE it when I buy something in beat up packaging.

I also have a weird quirk in that I could never hire a maid, b/c even if my place is messy, I don't trust anyone else to clean it the way I do. I have friends who don't, "get" why I am like this (they have maids). Not to mention, I'm cheap and would rather clean the house myself and buy myself something with the $ that I would have paid a maid anyway.

I also have a weird quirk about sampling food. I generally don't like to sample food, esp if it's one of those deals where they just try to hand you a piece of food (not on a napkin or anything), b/c my hands are dirty from touching the shopping cart. I always think that it's gross that they give samples out at the deli and ppl just use their bare hands when they are sooooo germy from touching the cart and other stuff at the store.

mommy111
09-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow!!!!!
Quirky? Well, one of the MANY things that comes to mind is that I hate mixing up food. DD will happily have a jam and butter sandwich or mix the rice with the stew. Me, it has to be jam OR butter or rice and stew on separate sides of the plate, or dip french fries in ketchup and not have ketchup poured over french fries. I know, really weird....

gatorsmom
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I absolutely cannot stand the smell or taste of watermelon. Even watermelon-flavored candy. Pretty much anything with that flavor. It makes me nauseous. Everyone I know finds that very strange.

I guess I have lots of quirky things (friends in college and even DH have commented how weird I am sometimes) but I think I"m very normal. :D

LarsMal
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Oh, and I have to have a blanket or at least a sheet on me when I sleep too.

Me too! Over the years DH has picked up on it, too, and now he always reaches for the middle or back. I did this once in Pier 1- was reaching back for salt/pepper shakers- and accidentally knocked about 10 wine glasses on the floor and shattered them!! :bag I was an adult, but was shopping with my parents at the time. They were so embarrassed! The store didn't make me pay, even though I offered. My parents just laughed and said, "I thought we grew out of the 'be careful' stage years ago!"

I'm also a blanket person.

I'm also a complete water snob. My family calls it my Princess Water. I cannot drink tap water. I give my kids Brita, but not me. And only a couple brands, too. No filtered water. Has to be spring water. I am longing for the day they are in BPA free bottles!!!

egoldber
09-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Interesting. I feel the same way about my glasses. I am avoiding contacts in part because I prefer the way I look in glasses. Although the idea of being able to wear non-presciption sunglasses is tempting.

I think I am quirky in a lot of ways, but nothing that impairs day to day function. ;)

I am not generally a tidy person or a germaphobe. But one quirk I have is using the same sponge/rag to wash dishes and then clean the counter. My MIL does this and it drives me BALLISTIC. I always go behind her and quietly replace the sponge or rag after she is done. :tongue5:

TwinFoxes
09-11-2009, 09:09 AM

ME TOO! :bag My DH thinks I am insane. But whenever I don't pick something from the middle it seems there's something wrong with it. I remember distinctly deciding not to be crazy and picking the first box of Archer Farms fruit leathers at Target...I got home and they were 1/2 eaten. EWWW!

I also can not take a straw that has been sitting on the straw dispenser at the movie theater etc. I have to dispense a completely different straw. All of this will be part of the deposition when my husband has me committed!

Moneypenny
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I have many quirks, and of course, they are all delightful!!

One of them is that, when I'm putting clean towels away in the linen closet, I have to put the clean ones on the bottom of the pile so we keep rotating through all the towels. Otherwise I worry that we would just keep using the same few towels over and over again and the unused ones on the bottom would feel bad and useless.

Ceepa
09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I have to straighten the sheets and blankets every night before climbing into bed. And I have to have the closet door closed and the bathroom door pulled almost shut and the bedroom door closed partway. It's a silly ritual to get everything "just right" but I do it without thinking.

KHF
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I have to straighten the sheets and blankets every night before climbing into bed.

:yeahthat: I'm not so picky about the doors, but the sheets and blankets must be straight. DH sleeps in another room now (he's a snorer), but when he slept in the room with me, it drove me crazy. He wraps the sheet up around his head and messes up the sheets and blankets completely. It drove me crazy.

HIU8
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Let's see...

I have to clean all my bathrooms every single morning.
I will go out of my way to not wear my glasses for my contacts
I have to sleep with a blanket all year round
My dishes are rotated so we don't use the same 5 all the time (I put the clean ones on the bottom and pick from the top)
I eat an apple top down instead of around

boolady
09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I have to clean all my bathrooms every single morning.

Oh, how I wish this was my quirk.

karenj2
09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Ok - I was going to mention that I'm involved in a non-profit educational group that dresses up (and teaches about) Vikings, but that doesn't seem to be the way this thread is going. :D (Here's our website - I'm also the webmaster, and since getting PG I haven't been great about updating it. www.vikingship.org)

So, I sort my M&Ms (Skittles, Starbursts, etc.) by color before eating them.

mjmamma
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I feel so much better about myself.
I am a water snob too. I think tap water could possibly kill me but I am desperately trying to switch to filtered to make better use of my SS bottle. Though I give it to my children, I'm afraid of it, lol.
HOT, HOT showers, it is the only way I feel 'clean' mentally and physically.

elliput
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok - I was going to mention that I'm involved in a non-profit educational group that dresses up (and teaches about) Vikings, but that doesn't seem to be the way this thread is going. :D (Here's our website - I'm also the webmaster, and since getting PG I haven't been great about updating it. www.vikingship.org)

So, I sort my M&Ms (Skittles, Starbursts, etc.) by color before eating them.

These two things are completely normal in my world. :D I also am involved in a non-profit educational group that recreates history (SCA (http://sca.org/)).

Karen, I think we live parallel lives. My DD was born just a couple weeks before my 12th wedding anniversary. We had been trying by the not preventing method for 9 years.

veronica
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I have to take cold showers. Otherwise, i will sweat while blow drying my hair and then the shower is pointless.

I always wake up before the alarm clock, been that way since junior high.

I have to have a blanket on me when I sleep as well.

All closet and bathroom doors must be shut for me to sleep.

I wear flip flops all winter long, even in snow.

MaiseyDog
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I can only dring milk from a glass and prefer to drink water from a plastic cup. I prefer to drink coke from an unchilled can. When I eat popcorn I bit off the hard crunchy part and leave the soft corn bubble for later (that one I can't really explain, it's a texture thing, but everyone who has ever been to the movies with me knows about it)

LarsMal
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I feel so much better about myself.
I am a water snob too. I think tap water could possibly kill me but I am desperately trying to switch to filtered to make better use of my SS bottle. Though I give it to my children, I'm afraid of it, lol.

I'm debating getting the Zero Water system, but I don't know if that will really make it any different for me! I drink my water, which comes in a "bad plastic" jug out of a BPA free bottle. Makes a lot of sense, huh?!?!

DietCokeLover
09-11-2009, 02:15 PM
So many, so many. Where to start? I can agree with some others that have already been posted...

Need a blanket to sleep
Food can not touch other food on the plate
Don't like drinking soda from a can

I can't stand small noises - someone swallowing, tapping their fingernails, rolling a pen between their fingers - those kind of sounds just send me over the edge.

StantonHyde
09-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I love, love, love clutter. Not like the whacko people where there are small paths between stacks of newspaper clutter, but your garden variety papers all over and books out etc, etc,. I find it all very comforting and I am such a visual person I need stuff where I can see it or I forget about it!

octmom
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I only eat cheese on pizza, and I call it plain pizza rather than cheese pizza. I think I OD'd on cheese as a toddler.

shawnandangel
09-11-2009, 02:36 PM
These two things are completely normal in my world. :D I also am involved in a non-profit educational group that recreates history (SCA (http://sca.org/))..

I guess this is where I add Belegarth Medieval Combat Society (http://www.belegarth.com)

Besides that, I hate feet. I can't stand my husband or anyone else touching my feet. I sure as heck don't touch anyone else's feet except for DD. I have come to the conclusion that baby feet are in fact not gross but really really cute.

karenj2
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
These two things are completely normal in my world. :D I also am involved in a non-profit educational group that recreates history (SCA (http://sca.org/)).

Karen, I think we live parallel lives. My DD was born just a couple weeks before my 12th wedding anniversary. We had been trying by the not preventing method for 9 years.

What era are you? Since I got active, our group has been as far west as Ohio (for a Viking festival - way fun!), but we haven't gotten out to Kansas.

Wow! Trying by not preventing for 9 years??? I can't imagine how many PG tests you've taken!! I knew I'd have issues TTC once I got of of BCP - my periods were anywhere from 40 - 90 days apart. So we went to fertility treatments pretty quickly. Even with that, it still took a long time.

I guess this is where I add Belegarth Medieval Combat Society (http://www.belegarth.com)

Woo hoo! We have a bunch of us! cool!

trentsmom
09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Bright light makes me sneeze, a trait I have passed along to both sons. DH is not too happy about that! :)

ETA: Oh, and add me to the list of people who must have some kind of covering on when sleeping.

trales
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Otherwise I worry that we would just keep using the same few towels over and over again and the unused ones on the bottom would feel bad and useless.

This is so me. Same with socks and underpants.

bubbaray
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I too cannot buy the first book or magazine in the rack. Always pick from the back.

slworld
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
As for my one random quirky thing about myself, that no matter how hot is it outside at night when I sleep I have to have a blanket over me...if not at least a sheet. In addition to that, I have to take the hottest showers possible...even in the middle of the summer.

:yeahthat:

momof2girls
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I get physically sick to my stomach watching DCs on their swings going what I percieve to be too high. I also cannot push them on swings other than a gentle push or I feel sick.

I cannot get myself to read a newpaper, magazine, or book that may have been into the bathroom wth anyone including family members.

I cannot stand it when kids play with their food. This stems from that gross scene in a Christmas Story when the little brother plays piggie with his mashed potatos!

jgenie
09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I won't sit on a public toilet seat without a liner or toilet paper on the seat. I'm so not looking forward to potty training DS and having him use public toilets.

larig
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I absolutely cannot stand the smell or taste of watermelon. Even watermelon-flavored candy. Pretty much anything with that flavor. It makes me nauseous. Everyone I know finds that very strange.

I'm like this with bananas.

I also collect swatch watches--I have well over 60.

Meatball Mommie
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I love quirky traits! Can that be my quirky trait? ha ha ... Seriously, I love to read about weird/unusual things that people do :)

I used to be very strict about seperating foods, but for some reason have outgrown (right word?) that... My DH has the opposite quirk...if it is at all possible to make a sandwich out of a meal, then a sandwich will be made. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn and bread...sandwich!...grilled chicken, red peppers, pineapple and rolls...sandwich! Seriously, the guy could make a sandwich out of any meal and a meal eaten as a sandwich is preferred! He makes me laugh with his combinations!

As far as my quirks go, I'm not really sure...before kids and going back to work, it would have been easier to name, but I've had to let a lot of things go :(

We have central vacuum in our house and I vacuum our garage...is that quirky enough?

I used to be really anal about organization but 2 boys going through everything really puts a damper on that one! I still organize their playroom...in fact my 4 yr old asked me the other day, "Mom, when are you going to clean the playroom? I can't find anything!" I sort their legos by shape ...is there an "ashamed" smiley?

edited to add...oh I thought of another thing...
I HATE waste...like I save my bread ends/crusts and make breadcrumbs or stuffing. The kids don't like crusts on their sandwiches so I cut them off but I save them in a ziploc. At the end of the week, I use my food processor and then the oven to make breadcrumbs...my DH thinks I'm insane, but I can't throw away that much bread! I also will take old apples, slice and put in my dehydrator so I don't waste them... It also pains me not to recycle paper, glass or metal...I save old jars to reuse...

MamaMolly
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I can't stand the sight, smell or feel of newspaper. And DH is an addictive, sloppy reader. He gets newsprint *everywhere* and cannot understand why I flip out if he leaves newspaper on my pillow, which for me is the height of rudeness.

Gena
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I cannot stand having clothing or jewelry that is close around my neck: no turtlenecks, scarves, or chokers.

My pinkie fingers are double jointed.

I have a terrible fear of drowning.

And I'm another one who needs to be covered when sleeping.

thomma
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I've got a ton and I'm sure DH could add a ton more but I'll stick to these two:

I can't wear nail polish because it makes my fingers feel too heavy.

I can't stand wrinkles. I iron everything. If you knew what a horrible slob/clutterbug I am, you would find this very very funny! I cracked myself up the other day when I ironed my ripped jeans. :D

Kim
ds&dd -6!

fivi2
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I love, love, love clutter. Not like the whacko people where there are small paths between stacks of newspaper clutter, but your garden variety papers all over and books out etc, etc,. I find it all very comforting and I am such a visual person I need stuff where I can see it or I forget about it!

Me too! And I thought I was just messy... :)

I also hate feet. My own and other people's. But dds do have cute feet :)

Need a blanket to sleep.

I have a weird nighttime ritual of checking the locks on all the doors (a few times), checking the oven/stove (including feeling if it is warm) even if we didn't use it all day.

When I leave the house, I check that the front door is locked multiple times.

(yes, I realize that I have some ocd tendencies!)

oh - and when I start a book or tv show or movie I have to finish it. even if I am tired or it is absolute garbage. I have stayed up super late finishing books or movies that I don't enjoy. I am trying to stop because life is too short to waste on cr@p, but it is hard. if I do give up, I will usually google to see what happened. I can't stand not knowing.

I guess that was way more than one. I have a lot of strange habits...

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
My quirks aren't so quirky since others do them too. :)

Must sleep under a blanket, not even a sheet will do.

I hate how I look in my glasses but I can't stand the thought of contacts. My eyesight isn't that bad (well, you wouldn't want me driving w/o them or trying to read something 5' away) so I take my glasses off in all social situations.

There are some foods that just do not go together. Corn served as a side for spaghetti? No. Plenty of combos just make me shake my head and dh doesn't get it.

I have one throw pillow that must be straight at all times. No one in my family respects this and it gets under my skin at least 2 times/ day. Even if the whole rest of the room is immaculate it seems messy if that pillow is askew.

Beth

m448
09-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't do salami, keilbasa, bologna or hot dogs. Italian sausage and breakfast sausage are the only meat-in-a-casings I do. I can't even stand the smell of salami and believe it or not would be horrified at the thought of my future husband eating it and then wanting to kiss. Thankfully DH doesn't eeat salami and when he eat the others usually brushes his teeth.

As a kid I had my mom convinced that I was allergic to corn to the point of making myself throw up. Truthfully I just didn't like it but this went on for years. Now I love it LOL.

lmintzer
09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Hmm. I need to sleep with a sheet or blanket over me too. A sheet is fine when it's hot, but if it slides off, I wake up feeling uncomfortable.

I have a weird hotel room obsession--I am freaked out by touching some of the surfaces. I am not OCD or particularly germ-phobic in general. But in hotels--I get freaked out thinking about who or what might have happened where. I also think I've read too much about bed bugs. That's my worst fear. I pull back the bed cover immediately and won't let the kids sit down on it. The clean sheets, yes--no problem. But this last trip we took, I wouldn't sit on the very nice looking chaise lounge. It was a mircofiber material, and I just kept thinking, this can't have been cleaned. DH, on the other hand, plopped right down on it. Even used the neck roll pillow (ewwww!).

On the way out (it was a beach hotel so we were in the garage using the foot shower), I noticed the laundry hampers. I was suprised to see the bed covers in the laundry. I yelled to dh, "They DO was them, they DO wash them at least sometimes." He thought I was nuts.

I also have the most light sensitive eyes in the world. When I'm out, I wear sunglasses, even on pretty cloudy days. And sometimes I squint through the sunglasses. I'm thinking I'm going to need Botox for squint lines pretty soon!

citymama
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM

Me too! It's like they can't breathe and are getting all claustrophobic or something. No finger nailpolish ever. Toenail polish is Ok though - go figure.

Also need covers in all seasons. (Aside: do you think it has to do with being swaddled as a kid?) And the covers have to be just so - sheet must line up under the comforter and not be unevenly distributed between DH and me. Drives him nuts because he is very unpicky about that kind of stuff.

Another one of my many quirks is no shoes in luggage without being in some kind of protective bag. Who knows what kind of gunk the soles of those shoes have walked through? Was horrified the first time I traveled with DH and he threw his Teva's into the luggage. He is now a convert to my more OCD style of travel...

vludmilla
09-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I also can not take a straw that has been sitting on the straw dispenser at the movie theater etc. I have to dispense a completely different straw.

Me too! I hate that now I feel so guilty about it...what with me trying to be "green" and all.

mom_hanna
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Another one of my many quirks is no shoes in luggage without being in some kind of protective bag. Who knows what kind of gunk the soles of those shoes have walked through? Was horrified the first time I traveled with DH and he threw his Teva's into the luggage. He is now a convert to my more OCD style of travel...

Me too! I also have to wear flip flops in swimming pool locker rooms. I HATE the dirty wet floors. they give me the heebie jeebies. I make my dc stand on the bench when we get dressed (or I bring an old towel to throw on the floor for them to stand on). This is after they have been made to wear their crocs into and out of the locker room. And I was a competitive swimmer for 9+ years. I don't know how I survived. Go figure.

Tammy
09-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I guess to add to the discussion, I will put forth my many food issues. I do not like my foods to touch each other. I also have what my DH refers to as "compartments"; like a cow (nice!). What he means is that I may fill up my salad compartment, or fruit compartment, or whatever, but will still have room for something completely different like the main dish, or dessert. The way I see it is that my stomach is like one of those divided plates :) I like variety.

I'm laughing because this is me to a T! I've never liked my food to touch. And I don't care how full I am, there's always room for dessert. I've never heard someone else say this though! :applause:
I have to be covered up to sleep.
I cannot sleep if there's a wrinkle in the sheet under me. Drives me crazy.

jent
09-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Add me to the list of people who need a sheet or blanket to sleep.

And add me to the list of people who can't stand the feeling of (finger)nail polish.

But for those who love their glasses-- I can't understand this at all! I've always hated the feeling of glasses on my face. Back when glasses seemed to be getting more cool, I got an updated pair and tried to wear them during the day instead of my contacts. I couldn't do it and gave up.

I also am slightly annoyed by the feeling of jewelry-- I can put it on in the morning but in the evening I feel so much lighter taking it off. If earrings are too heavy I just can't wear them-- I prefer posts.

(I used to think of these things as just quirks but now I realize that they would be called "sensory issues". I think DD has some of the same and that's why I don't push her to do things like wear ponytails, which seem to truly bother her.)

My grocery store quirk is that I have to organize my purchases as I put them on the conveyer belt, for supposedly easier bag packing. Heavy stuff, like cans, first; large boxes (like cereal and pasta) together so they pack well, refrigerated stuff together, etc. I think I do this because I was always used to packing my own grocery bags but where I live now there is often a bagger. They always seem to do it wrong so this is my way of trying to force them to do it "right."

Oh, and my other sleeping quirk is that I prefer to shower before bed. A habit formed in college when I had a roomie that hogged the bathroom in the morning, but now I just don't like the feeling of going to bed "unclean."

Happy 2B mommy
09-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Another "must be covered at night with a blanket" person here. Perhaps it really isn't THAT quirky?

I feel compelled to organize the carts in the cart correl at the grocery store/Target etc. I just can't stand seeing them not nested into eachother. There I am, my kiddos in the car watching me (I always park next to the correl), in the RAIN "fixing" the carts!!!!

Fairy
09-11-2009, 11:48 PM

I do this one, too.

ME. Totally me. I thought I was the only one! Remember Watermelon Bubble Yum? Made me wanna vomit. Watermelon Jolly Ranchers? Don't eat it in my presence. To me, watermelon flavored anything tastes like Cheer smells. Watermelon itself I can handle once in a blue moon, but if it's flavored, forget it.

Meeeeeeeeeeeee me me me me.

Hahahahaha!

Here are some new ones:

* I am terrified of fish. Like will pass out getting near them. Filet them on my plate? Yummy. Separate them from me with a pane of glass? I'm there. Put me in the same medium of existence, be them dead or alive? NO. I can handle crustaceans, but don't get me near a fish be it minow or grouper. Man, especially grouper, i guess. They simply terrify me. At the "pet the stingray" exhibits, I try. I put my hand in, and I get too close, and pull it out with a yelp. Ain't never gonna happen. Now, I'm DYING to swim with the dolphins. I think I'll have a basic fear at first, but then I'm gonna be fine. I just feel differently. I can get rigth up to the tanks with their heads out, I've shaken hands with them before, no problem. But fish? Hell no. I have to psych myself up to go into the petsmart cuz I have to pass the fish to get to the catfood. I trot past quickly. Similary, I would never in a million years touch a frog. Snake fine, but frog no. Tehre's a similar thing with a fish there.

* I am not at all comfortable with the dark. I love watching TV in the dark, but to go up to my room at the end of the night, I turn on the family room light, go turn on the hall light, come back turn off the family room light, go upstairs, turn on the upstaris light, go down to turn off teh hall light, go to my room turn on the light, go out to hall turn off light, in bed, turn off light.

* I still sleep with my childhood pillow, even took it with me to the hospital to deliver DS; we're talkin' age 7; my childhood doll from age 2 is sitting on my dresser.

* I rarely let the food on a fork touch my lips; I pull it off with my teeth. I remember seeing a show on anorexia when I was a teenager and the girl said she did that, and i worried for a while that maybe I have an eating disorder. But then there's soup; no way around that one, so then I realized I was ok.

* I also look to the light when I have to sneeze, which I got from my dad, and which DS now has. Pretty sure it's genetic.

I love this thread.

elliput
09-11-2009, 11:49 PM
What era are you? Late 16th century is where my focus is (mostly Elizabethan), though I have been known to time-travel. ;)

Fairy
09-11-2009, 11:59 PM

Star Trek, anyone? I don't have a link cuz our website sucks and I'm not in charge of it, and our leadership sucks now, too, but we are a great club. We don't wear Spock ears. Sorry ...

blisstwins
09-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Karenj2

Was your ship at SCANFEST at Budd Lake in New Jersey over Labor Day weekend? If so, we saw your boat and my kids were crazy for it.

My quirks?

I belong to many ethnic associations that have nothing to do with my own hertitage (I miss travel and like going to cultural events). My husband thinks I am nuts.

I am passionate about ice skating, as in I have gone to the rink where Johnny Weir trains like a regular groupie.

I change toilet paper if it does not roll over the top even if it is not my home.

I think I am more into Sanrio characters than my daughter.

Meatball Mommie
09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
* I still sleep with my childhood pillow, even took it with me to the hospital to deliver DS; we're talkin' age 7; my childhood doll from age 2 is sitting on my dresser.

I still sleep with my childhood pillow too! It's a feather pillow that has a fraction (like 1/8) of it's feathers. I brought it with me whenever my family went on vacation as a kid and one time I left it at a hotel and my parents had to call to have the maid find it and UPS it home ;) I brought it with me to college and to the hospital with both kids too... DH thinks it's sooo gross (it HAS been washed though).

edited to add another quirk I just thought of...I'm quirkier than I originally thought!
*I tend to organize items on the shelf at the store
Like if the kids are looking at books or toys, I will put things in the right places (from where people left them) and straighten the shelves. I got "caught" at Marshall's one time reorganizing the kids books - the employee thanked me! I was soo embarassed.

cvanbrunt
09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
I can stick my fist in my mouth. My dad asked me once why I had tried. I have no good answer.

I cannot stand it if someone touches my feet.

Koi fish terrify me.

hellbennt
09-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I change toilet paper if it does not roll over the top even if it is not my home.

oh I am so tempeted to do this, too! I do change the roll sometimes, but most times I don't, bcse I'm embarrassed to think the person whose house it is will notice...I'll do it when there's a party, though...I wonder if there are those who feel strongly about the roll going the other way? bcse if not, then I might just go changing rolls more;)

Globetrotter
09-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I, too, feel weird without my glasses! I also think I look better in them because they hide my undereye circles!

If there is no recycling bin in a restaurant or store or campground (even other people's houses) I will take stuff home to recycle it - I put it in a plastic bag in my tote. Drives dh nuts, but then he claims to be green!

I can't stand for shoes to touch other stuff (like when the cleaner places shoes onto a pile of laundry, on TOP of the shoe bench or in a suitcase (I'm with you, Citymama! I put them in a bag, but of course I reuse the same bag every time to avoid waste ;)).

Most of my quirks revolve around, environmental, health and safety issues :p

jgenie
09-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I also have to wear flip flops in swimming pool locker rooms. I HATE the dirty wet floors. they give me the heebie jeebies. I make my dc stand on the bench when we get dressed (or I bring an old towel to throw on the floor for them to stand on). This is after they have been made to wear their crocs into and out of the locker room. And I was a competitive swimmer for 9+ years. I don't know how I survived. Go figure.

This is me!! DS is the only child waiting for swim lessons w/ sandals on. If he wants them off I have to carry him. When I was in the hospital after having DS, I wore my socks in the shower because he was early and I didn't have flip flops with me.

dcmom2b3
09-12-2009, 03:15 PM
My silly quirky bar trick is that I can pull my fingers backward above their second joint. Put another way, I can press my palms together and make a "Y," with the first two phalanges forming the arms of the "Y". Freaks people out, and is a good way to prompt a quick end to a bad date.

I cannot stand for my food to touch, and only recently have stopped eating one thing at a time (first veggies, then meat, etc.) Food who's only purpose is to touch other food is regarded with suspicion (hello? gravy? I'm talkin' 'bout you.)

Doors, drawers, toilet seats must be closed if not immediately in use -- The sight of an open microwave oven, washer or dryer makes me twitch.

My chair has to be pushed in under the desk/table after I get up. Every time. Even if I'm just walking to the other end of the conference room to get a cup of coffee. I have the urge to push other people's chairs in, too, but control myself.

Pillows must be put in their pillowcases tag-side first. Why have a tag flappin' in your face all night? I know I could cut it off, but it does say "DO NOT REMOVE," after all.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that I'm a reforming control freak. Which means that my house is messy 999 days out of 1000, but all the chairs are always pushed in. Always.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow!!!!!
Quirky? Well, one of the MANY things that comes to mind is that I hate mixing up food. DD will happily have a jam and butter sandwich or mix the rice with the stew. Me, it has to be jam OR butter or rice and stew on separate sides of the plate, or dip french fries in ketchup and not have ketchup poured over french fries. I know, really weird....

ME TOO! Except PB&J. I don't like my food touching. I eat my salad in a separate bowl from my dinner, too. I eat my veggie, protein, then my starch.
Drives DH NUTS!

No one can TOUCH my laundry! I can pick things up with my toes, and I am double jointed, so I can pop my hips "in and out of their sockets".

Drag0nflygirl
09-12-2009, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Fairy;2473022]I rarely let the food on a fork touch my lips; I pull it off with my teeth. I remember seeing a show on anorexia when I was a teenager and the girl said she did that, and i worried for a while that maybe I have an eating disorder. But then there's soup; no way around that one, so then I realized I was ok.[QUOTE]

OMG me too!!! It must have been one of those "after school specials" or something.

I can read upside-down, inside out, and backwards. (Comes in handy when reading DD picture books.)

I'll wear sandals right up until it's time to wear boots, and vice versa.

Corie
09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
* I also look to the light when I have to sneeze, which I got from my dad, and which DS now has. Pretty sure it's genetic.

I actually know alot of people who do this!! I have always heard that the
light will get the sneeze out. (I'm not wording this correctly...)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=looking-at-the-sun-can-trigger-a-sneeze

You should see my husband when he is driving and he is trying to sneeze.
He has his head hanging out the window trying to find the sun. :)

Corie
09-12-2009, 09:01 PM

I ALWAYS do this too!!! I've even got my kids doing it too.

You should hear us at Target.

My son is yelling to my daughter not to grab the first one because
someone might have touched it!!!!!!!!!! People probably think we
are a family of freaks. :)

ETA: The one thing that can really drive me insane is when there is only
one item left. Do I buy it? Or leave it and buy it the next time I'm out?

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I'll wear sandals right up until it's time to wear boots, and vice versa.

Darned right! Me too. I hate when I have to give them up for the season.

Beth

ilfaith
09-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I can never leave just one cookie or cracker in a bag. If there are two left and I only really want one I either have to take both, or not have any at all.

If I am eating something like a handful of popcorn or Cheerios and drop one on the floor, I have to drop another and then put both in the garbage together.

If I am walking and scuff one foot on the sidewalk, I have to scuff the other.

If I am in an exercise class and the instructor loses count and has us do more leg lifts or similar exercise on one side than the other, I'll make up the missed leg lifts later to be even.

urquie
09-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I only eat cheese on pizza, and I call it plain pizza rather than cheese pizza. I think I OD'd on cheese as a toddler.

finally - someone else who gets it!! and there must not be too much cheese! i still remember all my bad childhood cheese experiences!

urquie
09-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by gatorsmom http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/images/buttons2/viewpost.gif (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2472383#post2472383)

I'm like this with bananas.

:yeahthat: on the bananas!

urquie
09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I can pick things up with my toes.
hold on... isn't this normal? i've been thinking dh was the weird one. :hysterical:

happymom
09-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I have so many of the quirks mentioned, I'm not even gonna try quoting them and saying "yeah that". But I'll add one- I can't sleep with ANY jewelry on. Not even a 10 minute nap- the rings, necklace, earrings, and watch all must come off.

kijip
09-12-2009, 11:38 PM
:yeahthat: on the bananas!

I can eat bananas themselves but any baked item with banana or banana flavored confection or banana mixed with other food is a NO GO. I hate banana flavored candy, and I hate banana bread almost as much.

Coincidentally, I don't eat watermelon. I can but I think it is pretty gross. Artificial watermelon more so.

ilfaith
09-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't mind watermelon or banana (even artificial watermelon or banana flavored things like Jolly Ranchers or Now and Laters) but I cannot stand grape flavored things. I like grapes and I like wine...but grape jelly, grape soda, grape juice, and any grape-flavored candy or gum repulse me. I swear if somebody across the room is chewing grape gum I get a little sick.

Also, while I don't mind most nuts on their own, I cannot stand them in baked goods like brownies or cookies.

ahrimie
09-15-2009, 02:56 AM
I can eat bananas themselves but any baked item with banana or banana flavored confection or banana mixed with other food is a NO GO. I hate banana flavored candy, and I hate banana bread almost as much.

Coincidentally, I don't eat watermelon. I can but I think it is pretty gross. Artificial watermelon more so.

Oh interesting.. I love banana flavored anything but not real bananas!

I also like to cover my face when sleeping--at least my neck, mouth, and nose.

I wear most of my shoes without socks. The only shoes I wear socks with are boots and tennis shoes--always.

When looking in the mirror to check out my outfit, I always get on my tippy toes--even though our mirror is only waist-high.

gotorightway123
09-15-2009, 04:33 AM
also have a weird quirk in that I could never hire a maid, b/c even if my place is messy, I don't trust anyone else to clean it the way I do.

Melaine
09-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Hmmm....maybe my quirk is that everyone else's quirks seem so reasonable, I'm thinking of picking up a few of them.

L'sMommy
09-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I have to sleep with socks on (sometimes even in summer when the DH cranks the AC).

I cannot drink ice cold water and need for it to be at room temp.

when picking out a card for someone I need to look at every single card in that category to see all of my options, even if I have already found one I like. Many times I end up buying the very first one i picked up. Makes DH crazy when I do this!

jent
09-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I cannot drink ice cold water and need for it to be at room temp.

Me too! Thought I was the only one.

I'm lovin' this thread.

HIU8
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I will not get into a shower that is not in my house without flip flops on. that includes my mother's and MIL's houses.

Oh, I cannot stand clutter. It actually makes me very nervous. My house is basically clutter free (except for the office that scares the daylights out of me...

lizzywednesday
09-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I won't sit on a public toilet seat without a liner or toilet paper on the seat. I'm so not looking forward to potty training DS and having him use public toilets.

Charmin makes seat covers in a travel package, so that might help you out a bit in case the restroom doesn't have any covers. They also make travel rolls of T.P.

Also, I've seen travel packs of antibacterial wipes (like Lysol wipes) and travel Lysol spray at my local Target store.

missym
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I can't stand to have bare feet. If I could wear socks in the shower, I would. When I was little, my mom tried a few times to make me sleep without socks, but I had screaming nightmares. Oh, and the socks need to be nice and tight. Loose socks give me the creeps.

Fairy
09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I can't stand to have bare feet. If I could wear socks in the shower, I would. When I was little, my mom tried a few times to make me sleep without socks, but I had screaming nightmares. Oh, and the socks need to be nice and tight. Loose socks give me the creeps.

No sandals for you, then? Or do you do the birks with socks thing? My orthotics are making it so that I have to go without sandals often these days.

lizzywednesday
09-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Oh, I cannot stand clutter. It actually makes me very nervous. My house is basically clutter free (except for the office that scares the daylights out of me...

You would be horrified by my house, then.

I heard a number of years ago that "creative people" intentionally clutter things up because they have to have everything in front of them. I am not sure if I buy it, but I will use it as an excuse as to why I am so sloppy!

alien_host
09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
This thread is fun!

Most of mine are repeats from others:

- hot hot showers, even in summer
- blanket/sheet to sleep
- will not sit on a public toilet seat
- will not use a porta-potty unless it's an absolute emergency!
- hate sleeping in hotels. I'm a bit of a germaphobe....I take the bedspread off immediately and stuff it in the closet, those things never get washed!
- In a hotel I put away my toothbrush in the morning since I don't want the cleaning folks to drop it on the floor or touch it in any way
- I always wear flip flops or slippers on the hotel carpet, even at the Four Seasons! ETA: but I go barefoot at home
- I can't drink directly from a soda can...I pour it in a glass or use a straw.

I might be a germaphobe, but I'm a clutterer too....

missym
09-15-2009, 03:14 PM
No sandals for you, then? Or do you do the birks with socks thing? My orthotics are making it so that I have to go without sandals often these days.

I don't even own a pair of sandals. Dress shoes with hose is about as close as I come, and I'm borderline uncomfortable the whole time I'm wearing them. That's the only thing I love about winter, when I can at least wear thick tights. I might consider the birk/socks thing, but I'm also really clumsy so anything without a backstrap just sounds like a bad idea. ;)

alien_host
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I thought of another one that I don't think was mentioned but probably is common:

When dropping letters in those blue mailboxes, I always close the door then open and check that my letter dropped down. ;)

ETA: I also had a pretty extensive collection of Beanie Babies in the 1990s....I think they are still in the basement in a box!

elephantmeg
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I too can pick stuff up with my toes
I hate shoes. I even take them off at work when I'm sitting down. I go barefoot outside even in gravel. So do the kids. DH has to have shoes on at all times, lol!
I have to sleep under at least a sheet

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a collecting addiction. Those little fliers that come in ds's toys are killer for me. I see the list of all the Geotrax products, for example, and I want to acquire all of them.

Oh, and I am uber competitive when it comes to lines. If I see a bunch of people walking in the possible direction of a line I may want to go to then I sprint ahead so I can get there first. And I get really grumpy with my family if they go too slow and other people beat us there first. Sometimes I don't even know what I am getting in line for. I'd rather get a good spot then send someone to scope out whether we are in the right place or not. I fear some day I am going to wind up in a line that is going to wind up being one for something awful, like a concentration camp.

Beth