PDA

View Full Version : Best Convertible booster for almost 4 yo

Kendra
09-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Hello Julie and all
My daughter just started preK and we had been doing fine switching the Marathon b/w cars if we needed to use DH's car, but now we need to get a 2nd for her (reason being: when my husband works 1 hr earlier shift, he can just drop her off on the way if he has a seat in his car. Rare, but happened yesterday and I was stuck having to schlep the girls and he went right past the same area 1/2 hour later on his single solitary way to the train...)

Anyway, NY state law just changed so now boosters are required for 8 year olds and younger (was age 7). So I'm looking for something that will last at least 4 years (DD#1 will be 4 in Nov, DD#2 is 15 months so we'll have to live with whatever's not expired at the end). And I'm looking for something with max protection, convertible with five point harness, b/c right now she's on the small side (33-34 lbs, 39.5 inches at last check).

I hadn't had to look at the world of boosters yet, so I'm asking for two kinds of recommendations here - who rules the booster world? We have 2 britaxes in my car, a Scenera for DD#2 in DH's car right now. I'm not sure if I want to go all out and get top of the line yet since it'll be used so rarely, so which is best in the value line also?

Thanks for all your help, past, present, future!
Kendra

Joolsplus2
09-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Ah, the law of the state may be a little better now, but the laws of physics have always dictated that kids be in boosters till the seatbelt fits properly (at least 4 foot 9, for most kids that's age 10 or older). You'll definitely get your money's worth out of whatever you buy now :).

But beside that... The Britax Frontier is fantastic, the Graco Nautilus is wonderful, and the Britax Parkway SG might be a good choice if you think she can sit still and properly without being harnessed. Usually kids have a hard time sitting well in a booster before 5-6, but a mature kiddo with adult reminders can sit fine in a booster younger and still be quite safe. Any of these will continue to fit her in your main car after the Marathons are outgrown, and the Frontier has the bonus of having a 9 year lifespan (Nautilus is 6 years with the back on, 9 years for just the backless).

:)

PS, I misread your info and thought your dd was already an older 4. Definitely stick with the Nautilus or Frontier, or if you can wait a few weeks, even the Evenflo Generations 65 might be a good budget option. I don't think I'd go with a regular booster just yet, those 8+ months of skeletal development can be the difference in being safe in a booster versus being at higher risk of head injury, and a harness is safer in more types of crashes. You asked the right question, I gave the wrong answer! :)

Kendra
09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks Julie! Just so I understand - the Generations is coming out in a few weeks, isn't available yet? We can wait a few weeks - it's not too often that DH works at that time, so just want it for the next time, and so we don't have to keep switching the Marathon (not that it's hard - yay!)

I laughed a little at your "laws of physics" - I'm only 4'11-3/4" (ah, for that other 1/4"!!) and should probably be in a booster myself. :)

Next question for all, I guess, is where to find the best deals? I got both Britaxes from Albeebaby, and I don't mind weird fabrics, past season styles, whatever (who sees it?!).

Thanks!
Kendra