PDA

View Full Version : How is everyone's fall schedule going?

gatorsmom
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I remember a few posters this summer saying they would be on a new morning schedule getting out the door in the morning. I also know that several of us have kids starting new schools this fall. Just wondered how everyone is doing.

Gator is in Kindergarten this year, which means he's starting school at 7:35am which is soooo hard for me because I stay up late doing things after the kids are in bed and so dragging myself out of bed early to help him is HARD. Every morning when I get out of bed I think of you WOHM who not only get your kids ready but yourselves. :bowdown: You amaze me. I do thank God though, that Gator is such an easy kid. He wakes up with a smile, brushes his teeth, and puts his clothes on without a fuss. I absolutely anticipate much more drama when it's Cha Cha's turn to start Kindergarten. Totally different kid.

So, how's it going for everyone else?

WatchingThemGrow
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
OMGosh Lisa, I thought of you yesterday when DD was going to her first day of preschool orientation. How did you manage preschool dropoff last year? She is required to tinkle and wash her hands IN the building (H1N1), so we left early to give her plenty of time for that. Early as in 45 min(shoes, stroller, bag, ergo), and it's only across the road for us. We didn't have to pack any lunches or bring a backpack, but we did need the usual emergency stuff for going out with a baby and a toddler. The preschooler was just an accessory.

Getting over there on foot was easy (baby in Ergo, 2 in BJCED), but maneuvering the stroller and both boys down the narrow crowded halls was challenging. I guess it was better than trying to buckle/unbuckle everyone into carseats for the 2 min. ride, but wow, it was not fun. Grandma did pickup, but that's just a car pickup line - no biggie.

I came home and immediately sent a note out to 7 neighbors (most with no kids or older kids) to hire someone to watch the boys at the house for the 30 min (max) it will take me to get over there and back. They are NOT accompanying me if I can help it. They were perfectly behaved, it was just too stressful on me to manage everyone. Do you think $5/25-30 min is too little to pay a SAHM to come over with her DD who is DS1's age?

When we have to go on cold/wet days, I'll drive, wear the baby, Maclaren the toddler and climb inside the van to buckle/unbuckle everyone. On clear nice days, though, I'll find it hard to skip the walk and drive her over there for the sake of time. hmm...

gatorsmom
09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
OMGosh Lisa, I thought of you yesterday when DD was going to her first day of preschool orientation. How did you manage preschool dropoff last year? She is required to tinkle and wash her hands IN the building (H1N1), so we left early to give her plenty of time for that. Early as in 45 min(shoes, stroller, bag, ergo), and it's only across the road for us. We didn't have to pack any lunches or bring a backpack, but we did need the usual emergency stuff for going out with a baby and a toddler. The preschooler was just an accessory.

Getting over there on foot was easy (baby in Ergo, 2 in BJCED), but maneuvering the stroller and both boys down the narrow crowded halls was challenging. I guess it was better than trying to buckle/unbuckle everyone into carseats for the 2 min. ride, but wow, it was not fun. Grandma did pickup, but that's just a car pickup line - no biggie.

I came home and immediately sent a note out to 7 neighbors (most with no kids or older kids) to hire someone to watch the boys at the house for the 30 min (max) it will take me to get over there and back. They are NOT accompanying me if I can help it. They were perfectly behaved, it was just too stressful on me to manage everyone. Do you think $5/25-30 min is too little to pay a SAHM to come over with her DD who is DS1's age?

When we have to go on cold/wet days, I'll drive, wear the baby, Maclaren the toddler and climb inside the van to buckle/unbuckle everyone. On clear nice days, though, I'll find it hard to skip the walk and drive her over there for the sake of time. hmm...

Yep, not so fun last year. Both older boys were going to preschool, in different classes, but in rooms next to each other, so that meant only one drop off and one pick up, fortunately. But we left 45 min early to strap the kids in the car, then drive 10min to the school, unload the kids and the stroller, push them into the school, pick up the boys, and then reload them and drive home. I think that you just get used to the routine and after awhile you don't even have to think about it anymore. I keep the diaper bag packed so I don't have to prepare it everyday. I'd just grab it off the counter. And fortunately the twins were in SafeSeats which snapped into the SnapNGo stroller so I didn't have to unbuckle and rebuckle them to get them out of the car. This year, however, they've outgrown them so I'll be doing the unbuckle/rebuckle thing. Also, Gator has different hours now while Cha Cha is still in preschool so there will be more driving. And I have to make sure to be outside for Gator's bus drop off (and I have an alarm to remind me because I have almost forgotten twice now).

Good luck to you. I do think, though, that it will become so routine that you don't even have to think it through. That will at least reduce the stress, if it doesn't reduce the physical work.

niccig
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, DS seems to have adjusted to the new routine, but I am the one that is tired. I think part of that is I'm also a night owl and I haven't adjusted my schedule and the first few nights I couldn't sleep.

DS can still wake at the same time, but we have to be out the door in an hour rather than the 2 hours between waking up and being at preschool. We used to lie in bed together for quite a while, then leisurely get dressed, eat breakfast. I'm trying to do many things the night before. He gets to choose his clothes and I pack as much of his lunch as I can, or at the least I work out what he is having and I set it up on the same shelf in the fridge, so easy to grab. I've been doing the same with breakfast.

DS is still excited, so I think that helps. I'm dreading the "I don't want to go to school" battle that I'm sure we'll encounter soon enough.

spanannie
09-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm going a little crazy, myself. It's been almost 3 weeks with DS in 1st grade and 2 weeks with DD in K (her first full day week, though). Baby is 14 mos.

The two oldest are in 2 different private schools. I have to drive DS to be at school before 7:45 bell (leave here at 7:20), come home, get DD1 and baby dressed ready to take DD1 to her school at 9 (fortunately close). Get baby to sleep between 11-12, do laundry, leave to go pick up DD1 at school at 2:20 and then figure out what to do with ourselves until 3:15 when DS gets out of school. Of course you have to be there VERY early to get a parking spot or place in the carpool line. Ugh. Of course DD1 and baby protest the wait in the car and would rather be home playing.

I'm wiped out and ready to be in bed by 10, which is rough because that was the time I used to get everything done -- for ME -- before and DH isn't on board with going to bed early, so makes noise and it's hard for me to sleep. Not good, since I have to be up by 6:15-6:30 to do it all over again!

I'm glad you say this will become routine, since it sure doesn't feel like it will ever . . . fortunately DS and DD1 will be at the same school next year. However, that's when baby starts the preschool. 2 different schools for 5 years!

hillview
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
We are doing ok. DS #1 started preschool -- 3 days this week, 5 days next week. We've had to shift bedtime earlier and he has been more of a mess at the end of the day then usual. It is exhausting/stressful for him. I was very stressed about him going back after a nightmare last year (him crying EVERY MORNING for months) but so far we have not see that (hurray). DS #2 is mixed on the one hand he doesn't have to contend with his brother, on the other hand I need to find some activities for him so he doesn't get bored.

Work on the other hand has been a nightmare so that is keeping me up and I am TIRED.

/hillary

kijip
09-11-2009, 05:30 PM
We let T get into a bad habit of reading in bed before he falls asleep and that is hard to break. He will stay up till 10PM or even later reading if left to his own devices. Which in the summer was fine, because he could sleep till 10AM. I am happy we don't have to get him out of the door till about 8:45/9AM because if we had a 7AM bus or pre-care drop off I think he might be homicidal. But his clock is slowly adjusting and we have a protein, FAST breakfast + juice ready for him in the mornings to ease the transition.

He does not have any after school stuff right now, but will start chess club and likely 1 other thing soon.

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Crazy. I am running the book fair at school in 3 weeks and don't feel at all prepared. I am also in charge of parent volunteer coordination and I keep thinking I am on top of things then I find an old email that I haven't followed through on. There is some drama too w/ this duty and that is annoying.

Ds1 is doing pretty well with 2nd grade but I am disappointed with his behavior at school. He doesn't seem to care as much about it as he did last year. He's still doing very well but I hate to see backwards steps, kwim?

Ds2 started preschool Tues. and he loves it. He's so happy when we get there. I felt a bit lost with that free time though!

I just want to get through Sept. and kick back and enjoy. :) Of course, I'll probably be bored then and volunteer to run something else.

Beth

JTsMom
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Ours is just starting, and I'm a little bit nervous about the whole situation. We've never had this much structure before!

Every other Monday we have Speech and OT 70 miles away, so that's an all day adventure.

Tuesdays and Thursdays we have school from 8:30-12:30.

Friday we have music class. (That's only 45 minutes).

I think it will either be wonderful, or a total disaster. LOL We had our first real music class today, and DS loves it, but it's really draining for me b/c of his high energy level, short attention span. By the time we left, the entire class knew his name.

He's very excited about going to school. He keeps saying, "I'm going to be a good friend!" :heartbeat: This will be the first time he's really been away from both DH and I, except for the the couple of times my mom has watched him. I really hope that it goes well.

justincase
09-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm glad I saw this thread. I haven't been around in a couple of days.

Things are going fine, but I am *tired*. I'm getting up at 5:15 (yikes!) to pump and shower before DS gets up. If he wakes up too early and I'm not ready for him, the morning turns into a nightmare. If he sleeps in a little bit, he's in a better mood and I'm ready to deal with him. I'm doing everything I can the night before as far as lunches, laying out clothes, etc. I'm tired enough to crash shortly after DS at night, but there's too much to do. DD is the easiest part of the equation; she's sleeping late enough that I don't have to feel guilty about sticking her somewhere while I get myself or DS ready. The only part where I actually feel rushed (instead of just stressed if DS gets up too early) is at drop-off itself. There just aren't enough minutes between daycare opening and when I have to be at work for me to drop them both off and get myself to my office. TG I don't teach first period so I have a little leeway, but I'm still supposed to be in my office when first period starts.

Overall I can't complain! It feels good to know we are all in this together...

dcmom2b3
09-12-2009, 11:27 AM
He's very excited about going to school. He keeps saying, "I'm going to be a good friend!" :heartbeat:

Awwwwww! So sweet! :love-retry:

Our schedule is evolving, or devolving, depending on the day, the weather and the mode of transportation. We switched from daycare that was 5 blocks away to a preschool that's in another part of town. So I'm having to re-tune our routine and I think that's part of why I'm dead tired, constantly having to think about things rather than being on auto-pilot.

I struggled with the decision to send her to preschool this year, and ultimately went with it because it is so much less expensive than daycare was. And then I felt guilty for making the decision on financial grounds. So I've been a bit of a mess emotionally, as well as logistically. But I think I did the right thing: day before yesterday DD told me "Mama! School is FUN! I like new school!" :yay: Score Mama: one. Guilt: zero.

gatorsmom
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
But I think I did the right thing: day before yesterday DD told me "Mama! School is FUN! I like new school!" :yay: Score Mama: one. Guilt: zero.

That's so cute! Doesn't that just take a HUGE load off your shoulders? It's like the clouds have gone way. Gator is the same way this year so I know exactly how you feel. :boogie:

annasmom
09-12-2009, 12:17 PM
CRAZY! But fun.

Kindergarten started this past week and despite a pretty horrific first day on the bus, it has been going well.

DC#2 & #3 start preschool this coming week.

3 kids in school - all different times. I will be living in 2 hour increments!

PTA, Daisies, MOMS Club, and preschool board meetings, back to school nights at 2 different schools, transition days for 2 kids, playdate at my house for dc#2's entire class, meet the teacher days for all 3, and starting 6 new activities for the kids.

I cannot wait for October!!

marie
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
so far, we've been pretty good about getting DD1 to bed earlier. That still doesn't translate into DD jumping out of bed and getting herself ready in the AM, though!

We're trying to give her more autonomy - "You have 15 minutes to get dressed, brush teeth, etc." instead of nagging her every couple of minutes "did you brush your teeth yet? are you dressed yet?" doesn't always work.

What I'm finding more difficult is the extra time I have once DD1 is off to school. DH has been walking her to school and they leave around 7:35. I look over at DD2 and think "what the hell am I going to do with you until lunch?!" Luckily, playgroups and Music Together are starting up this week so that will help on that front.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07