PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on travel insurance?

jhrabosk
09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I usually would pass on it, but we're going to WDW in November and with DD in school and me commuting on public transport and the H1N1 threat...

Anyway, the one that Disney offers seems pretty expensive. I found cheaper (with the same insurance company that Disney uses) on insuremytrip.com.

Anyone have BTDT advice on what I should consider? Be sure to get? Avoid/don't need?

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
It's not a bad idea though I have never gotten it. My dad got sick before a big vacation last year and couldn't go. He found someone to go in his place (who didn't pay him back :(). It would have been simpler to have it. I guess you need to weigh out the cost of the insurance and under what circumstances you wouldn't just go on the trip. What do you get for your insurance? Exact duplicate of your trip at a later date?

I got the flu (confirmed) the week before we went to FL last year. I luckily finally started feeling better the day before we left. I still would have dragged myself even if I was super miserable- and tried not to breath on anyone.

Beth

Momof3Labs
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
disney is pretty liberal with their cancellation policies - even with a package, you don't lose much money unless you cancel just a few days before arrival. I would worry more about your airfare expense, as the airlines aren't nearly as forgiving. Disney's travel ins doesn't cover airfare if you don't purchase airfare through wdw travel co. There are also a lot of exclusions that you should carefully read; don't just assume that any cancellation will be covered.