PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare with TJs turkey meatballs?

slworld
09-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I picked up a pack of the frozen TJs turkey meatballs but I am not sure how to prepare them. It says to microwave for 2.5mins if thawed or 4mins if frozen. I left them out for 15mins but they still seemed frozen so I microwaved for 4mins and they turned out real hard. Not something 14month old DS can chew. I was hoping they would be something like chicken nuggets ... I mean can be eaten as is. Did I heat them for too long or is that how they are supposed to be? What do you do with them? Do you cook them in some sauce like traditional meatballs?

Thanks much

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
You know, I always cook them from frozen and follow the directions (4min) but sometimes they come out horribly! I think it has to do with how many you cook at once, maybe. I would go in 1min increments, make sure they are covered and maybe add a dash of water to the bowl when microwaving so they steam a bit.

Beth

lizzywednesday
09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Are they pre-cooked?

Why not toss 'em into your sauce while it's warming on the stove?

If they're pre-cooked, that should be enough to thaw & heat them through, with the sauce giving them enough moisture to stay softer.

I've never used them, but have used similar products in the past. (When I have the energy, I just make my own meatballs, but that hasn't happened in quite some time!!!)

slworld
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Are they pre-cooked?

Why not toss 'em into your sauce while it's warming on the stove?

Actually I was hoping to use them as is ... without having to cook them in any sauce. Just cut them up for DS to eat. Now I am wondering if they are meant to be used like traditional meatballs cooked in a sauce. Will try what Beth suggested and see.

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I should have said that I just followed my method on Tues. and they came out just right. :)

o_mom
09-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I usually cook them in the sauce from frozen and have also baked them on a cookie sheet. Directions for both are on the package. I avoid using the microwave for anything more than reheating leftovers because I tend to have the same experience that you did - things getting overcooked.

lablover
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
My kids eat these plain all the time. Here is what I do: I put 3 or 4 in a microwave safe bowl, add a little water and cook for one minute. Then I cut them in half and cook another minute or two (can't remember exactly how long but I know it is shorter than 4 minutes.) My kids love these.