PDA

View Full Version : How to make walk to/from school more pleasant

tiapam
09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
We are fortunate to be able to walk to school now, about three blocks one way. DD makes it seem a lot longer sometimes. Today we did sing some songs on the way back to distract crabby DS, but she still had a small fit about something before we got home. I offered a snack but she did not want it. I have a step on the stroller she sometimes rides on.
The neighbors have not been walking as often as I had hoped, but I am hoping that will change and she will have friends with sometimes, which I think will help. I also let her help choose our route.

Any tips, games, etc. for a cry-free, whine-free, no foot stamping walk?

hobie
09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
After school, my guys are usually very hungery, and thirsty (the water bottle is still almost full!). Before we even get to the car, I have them take a drink...and they usually down the 12-16oz! And then they eat a snack in the car on the way home. I'd try sitting down, and giving her a snack and drink while still at school. She probably just need more energy for the walk home.

kcandz
09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
She might just be decompressing from the stress of school too. My DC needs that time. The physical activity of the short walk might help her transistion through it faster. Maybe do some running races, looking at flowers, I spy with the neighboring homes?

rlu
09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
After school, my guys are usually very hungery, and thirsty (the water bottle is still almost full!). Before we even get to the car, I have them take a drink...and they usually down the 12-16oz! And then they eat a snack in the car on the way home. I'd try sitting down, and giving her a snack and drink while still at school. She probably just need more energy for the walk home.

When we meet DS at the gate, the first thing he does is hand us his backpack and dig out his water thermos. We'll "pull over" off the sidewalk so he can drink as we go. He is actually quite energized for the walk home, it's the walk to school where he drags his feet, so I can't help there.

C99
09-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Pam,

As you know, DD also gives me a hard time when we walk somewhere. She is slow (and uncoordinated). I have no big advice for making the walk easier, except maybe just flat-out ignoring her.

tiapam
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Pam,

As you know, DD also gives me a hard time when we walk somewhere. She is slow (and uncoordinated). I have no big advice for making the walk easier, except maybe just flat-out ignoring her.

HA! It was Day 1, I think, that DD skipped, hopped, twirled and plowed right into a giant pole. Ugh. I can't even turn my head for a second. Maybe I will just bring a big drink in a paper bag. For me.

Tondi G
09-11-2009, 06:20 PM
could you maybe bring a scooter along that she could ride home on? The razors fold up and can go in the basket of a stroller. If it became a real pain I would probably just get a double stroller and plunk my kiddo in it. the 3 blocks would go a whole lot faster!

ellies mom
09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I walk Ellie to the bus stop. I leave really early. She still dawdles but at least I don't feel the pressure of missing the bus so I'm not as ansty. And then I ignore her.

hillview
09-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Snacks. Maybe a game to play en route. Rhyming, I spy, make up a story.
/hillary

s7714
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
could you maybe bring a scooter along that she could ride home on? The razors fold up and can go in the basket of a stroller. If it became a real pain I would probably just get a double stroller and plunk my kiddo in it. the 3 blocks would go a whole lot faster!

I was going to suggest a scooter too, or even a bike if your school has a bike rack to leave it at during the day. A large number of kids who walk to our school either use a scooter or bike (and I mean those coming with parents still, not just those doing it on their own). There are even a couple moms who ride their own scooter alongside their DC on one!