PDA

View Full Version : Best High Back Booster?

Sangiovese
09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I need a high back booster. DD is 4, and she will be 5 in a couple of months. She's 40 lbs.

She is normally in a 5 point (Radian in DH's car and Nautilus in mine), but I need a booster to use in other people's cars. Usually, I just grab the backless booster that her sister outgrew, but I am uncomfortable with this and would rather have her in a high back.

So, what's the best one? And which one is the best value? I think that I wouldn't mind paying money for the best since she needs to be in a car seat until she's 8 (new law). How likely is that she can stay in her Radian and Nautilus until she's 8?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Unless she's *shockingly* tall, 8 is WAY too short for most kids to be out of boosters. Ignore the law on this one, and go with best practice (which means a booster till the seatbelt fits properly: bum all the way back, feet flat on the floor, lapbelt low on the thighs, and can sit that way the entire trip. For most kids that's age 10 or older :))

Anyway... I'm loving the Parkway SG (easy to move from car to car, anti-submarine clip to prevent the lapbelt riding up and causing abdominal injuries, can be used backless later when she's older), Sunshine Kids Monterey (Huge, LATCHes in to place, can be used backless later, hard to move from car to car, though), or Clek Oobr (Rigid LATCH connectors, can be used backless, very expensive, but extremely sturdy and low profile, very cute covers). Recaro Vivo or Vivo Lite (just denotes different covers) is a nice inexpensive choice on clearance at JCPenney, doesn't become a no-back or LATCH in, but cozy, good for petite kids, very tall as a highback, light to move around.
:)

Sangiovese
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
It sounds like I should try the Parkway...thanks for the thorough analysis! I might take DD to BRU to sit in one.

What is the benefit of the latch on the boosters? I've looked at those Clek boosters, but wow that is a lot of money, esp. since technically this is her third seat.

Do some kids still fit in the 5 points, like the Nautilus or Radian, until age 8? I'm hoping for age 6, but that thought just occurred to me (ie, she'd never use this booster full time).

Thanks.

Joolsplus2
09-11-2009, 03:34 PM
BRU doesn't have the PW yet (I'm totally irked about that, I want one and I wanted to trade in an old Scenera for the 20% coupon :p).
Yeah, if she's petite she'll fit in her harnessed seats longer... my dd fit in the Radian till 7, and the Frontier and (probably, I didn't try, but based on fitting in the Frontier and the Nautilus having even taller top slots) the Nautilus till 8ish. She's 10 now, uses an older Parkway in my van (I don't have curtain airbags and I want her to have the substantial head protection the seat provides as long as possible) and a Clek Olli in our car.

I've seen some studies where LATCHed boosters may provide somewhat better protection, particularly in side crashes, but if you need the convenience of a lighter or more easily moved seat, it's not a deal breaker, those are all super safe. The Clek is expensive because it's 'just like' a real vehicle seat, the construction and materials...other seats are perfectly comfy and nice, but are basically plastic cubes covered with cloth so are a lot cheaper to make and sell.

:)

hellbennt
09-12-2009, 09:55 AM
LATCH: ok I thought cars have LATCH weight limits? like the Toyota Sienna's is 48lbs? so how do you use LATCH w/ a booster? :bag

Joolsplus2
09-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Because the LATCH only holds the booster. Which is like 15 pounds. The seatbelt holds the child :)

hellbennt
09-12-2009, 10:37 AM
aha! :thanks: I get it! [insert lightbulb-moment here]:)
also: Graco Turbo Booster? We bought one for rare use (grandparents car/extra...)

I love ya Julie!:D

Joolsplus2
09-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Make sure you screw the armrests in (if you lost the screws, call graco, they'll send you some :)), and make sure the belt is routed properly (so many people get it wrong, I have to mention it, lol). Otherwise, it's definitely the best seat you can actually buy in a big box store and fits small kids very well :)