PDA

View Full Version : Graco Nautilus: Anyone have problem with child unlatching the chest clip?

sewarsh
09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Already own 4 Britax (for me & MIL) & need 2 more (for hubby car). Was planning on buying 2 Nautilus for each of mine & DH cars for 3 YO DD. Went to check it out today vs. Britax Frontier and my DD within moments was so proud that she was able to unhook the chest clip on the Nautilus within seconds. Now, she's no Hodeni and she's actually not one to get into things, so I was slightly shocked.

Has anyone else experienced this? I called Graco adn they have no other hooks and there hasn't been a recall on this.

Was thinking about switching chest clip from DS Britax models wiht Nautilus since they appear to be same size? Or should I just break down and spend an extra $300 on 2 Frontiers (whcih shouldn't couldn't unlatch)??

Thanks for any advice.

Sangiovese
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
DD4 can unhook her chest clip on the Nautilus and on the Radian, so I wouldn't think that it is that unusual. She's old enough to know when she can and when she can't, though. I might have had to remind her some at first, but I can't remember.

Where on the 3 yo age range is your DD? Is she close to 4?

bubbaray
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
My DD#1 can undo her GN clip, as well as the MA and the RN clips. She's also a monkey with harness adjusters.

One of the reasons I'm happy we're in the Monterey most of the time. I wouldn't put a 3 or 4 yo in a Monterey, though.

sewarsh
09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
My DD just turned 3 in July.

bubbaray
09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Lots of kiddos can start undoing chest clips around that age. Mine did (though she w/n in a GN at the time). The chest clip is just a pre-crash positioner, so I don't sweat it. As long as the harness is snug, it shouldn't make a real difference to the safety of the child in a crash.

JMHO.

Piglet
09-11-2009, 03:03 PM
It is just a matter of time - the only clip that I have never seen DS2 undo is the Evenflo Chase clip and *I* have problems with it!? Don't fuss the seat choice based on the clip. As Melissa said, it is there to ensure the straps are in position, not actually keep the child in place during a crash (they actually can and should break open during a crash, as I understand). Just teach her that the car stops when the carseat is unbuckled. My kids are well aware that carseats are vitally important and have stopped ME on occasion when I didn't buckle the seat up correctly - in those early sleep deprived newborn days.

Joolsplus2
09-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Just make it clear in your most 'this is important' mommy tone, that it's not ok to undo the chest clip when driving. Leah did it once. I stopped the car and we waited till she did it back up. She fussed for a minute, but I wasn't bending, she knew it, that was that. Of course she's more than welcome to buckle up and unbuckle when the car is stopped (and she actually has been completely buckling up for a few weeks now, it's wonderful, I was sick of doing it, lol).

sewarsh
09-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks to you all for your input. I'm goign to go with the Nautilus'...I didn't realize the chest clips wasn't as critical if it became unlatched. My DD is a good girl adn although she's been testing me lately she "typically" listens! My fear was that she would unclip it without my knowledge and god forbid something happens. anyways, i'm sure she'll be fine and get used to it after i pull over a couple of times until its latched!

mariza
09-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah my newly turned 3yo DS has been undoing his MA clips for several months now. He knows not to mess with it while driving.

KAK22
09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Something that worked with my very head-strong DD, was being told she could unbuckle the chest clip when we got to our destination and I had turned the car off. She was fine with waiting to do it until then - a great incentive and one less part I have to do :)

Melaine
09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
My kids have been able to unbuckle the chest clips on their marathons for months...they know better but once in awhile can't resist to un-click it.