PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Free Email Service for a Group??

annasmom
09-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I need to create an email account for a group. 2-3 people will have access to the account.

Someone had recommended gmail - because google calendar is supposed to be really great. Supposedly you can share the calendar and have people rsvp in such a way that it appears on the calendar. I tried to check it out but I couldn't really figure it out. Not really a big surprise because I am a tech-idiot.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

tiapam
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Do you want to create an actual email account ([email protected]) or a *group* where members use their own email addresses to send email to the group? If 2-3 people will manage an *email* account for a larger group (presumably the ones RSVPing) then you probably want to create a group, not just an email account. If you create a group it will probably come with it's own email address, at least I think Google and Yahoo groups both have that feature.

annasmom
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I need to create an email account. Only a few people will have access to send emails from the account. The sole purpose of the email account will be to communicate to the group. I was just wondering if one service was better than others in this type of situation.

tiapam
09-11-2009, 05:12 PM
How many people will you be sending emails to? I think the calendar features you are looking for are more likely to come as a feature of a group than an individual email account. The other advantage of a group is that people can subscribe or unsubscribe on their own, so you would not have to manage that. And there is no problem with addresses getting cut off or something in the TO field. I think you can set up Yahoo groups so that only a few people can post, as you wanted. Google groups probably has the same option.