PDA

View Full Version : Wording of invitation for joint BD party?

nrp
09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
My SIL and I are considering doing a joint birthday party for my DD (turning 3) and her DS (turning 2) in December. We have quite a bit of overlap, but definitely there are some people who I wouldn't have invited if it were just DD's party. So, my question is, how do we word the invitation so that people don't feel obligated to bring a gift for the "other" child? I'd rather not do separate invites, and I don't think we'll do a "no gift" party (my experience is no one really respects that anyway, so I don't think it addresses my problem).

Percycat
09-11-2009, 05:06 PM
We have had several joint parties. Guests that are friends of both BD kids are invited by both kids. Guests that are friends of one kid are invited by one kid. We used the same invitations, but personalized the information based on whether the guest was a friend of one or both BD kids. It has always worked out well.

SnuggleBuggles
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd probably bring a gift for both no matter how the invite was worded unless it was a no gifts at all party. I would get the unknown/ lesser known child something cheaper and smaller. I wouldn't worry too much- people will apply their judgment, I think.

Beth

deannanb
09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
DS and a friend at school had a joint party last year (4 years old)
I have 6 cousins who came to the party - none brought gifts for the other child -
They don't know her

We had 2 tables at the front of the party place -
the guests put the presents for DS on one table and for the friend on another -