PDA

View Full Version : Help! Water heater is leaking and we move in 2 months

cdlamis
09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Besides buying a brand new heater, what can we do? Are there reputable used heaters out there? Or small portable ones that will get us through the next few months?
Without disclosing all our personal information :), I will say that this won't matter in the sale of our home so we are really just looking for a temporary fix. I called a plumber who told me that our only option was to buy a new one.
Any suggestions? You all are always so full of information! TIA!
Daniella

Wife_and_mommy
09-11-2009, 05:57 PM
You could try looking for a used one(that was replaced for a larger one maybe) but I doubt you'll find. Worth a try, I suppose.

Another thought would be to buy the smallest size you could manage and install it yourself. My brother helped DH install ours a few years ago. He's a handy type but not super talented, iykwim.

I think ours was only about $400 a few years ago.

truly scrumptious
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Try Craigslist for a used one. Or someone who just upgraded theirs, or a developer who just demolished an old home might have one. Are there any new homes going up in your neighborhood? If so, take a walk and have a chat with the crew. They may be able to hook you up. (We got a great deal on a dryer that way and we even persuaded one of the crew to come and hook it up for us!)
Good luck!

Momof3Labs
09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
they are pretty inexpensive and not hard to install yourself - the $400 that someone quoted is what I think my parents spent when their water heater went out while their house was on the market. just get a smaller, inexpensive unit, not the biggest, most energy efficient one. It's only 2 months but it's not like you can live without hot water for that period, kwim?