PDA

View Full Version : DS's Pre-K teacher had a stroke

SpaceGal
09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Last Friday, we got a call from one of the therapists in DS's classroom and was told that the teacher had a medical emergency and won't be there for at least 6 weeks...maybe longer. They didn't say what she had but deep down DH and I figured a stroke or heart attack.

So today when I picked up DS from school one of the other mom's told me it was a stroke. It makes me pretty sad. DS is wondering when his teacher will be back since I told him she's in the hospital and is sick. He drew her a get well soon picture and keeps saying she'll come back when the doctor's say she is better. DS had her last year for pre-k and this is his second and last year of pre-k...so that's why we feel this "bond" to her.

Now that I know it's a stroke...or as rumor has it, I wonder when or if she will be able to return. I feel so bad...but at the same time I don't want to pry and invade her privacy. I almost wanted to go visit her just to say hi but we're not that close but you know I do care and really hope she is okay. Granted I didn't talk her ear off, she did care for my son while he was in her class...and that means a lot to me. I had wanted to send flowers or something but DH said that we might be imposing and just to have DS draw a picture for now. I just hope she gets better for her own's sake and will miss her and hopes she does return but I almost wonder if she will be able to since it sounds like she will have to go through a lot of OT, PT and speech therapy.

I've never known anyone to have a stroke, but from what I've read it seems like a long recovery process.

Naranjadia
09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
From my (limited) experience with strokes, recovery time varies with the severity of the stroke. I think it would be hard, with the limited information you have, to infer more precisely your son's teacher's situation.

Your poor DS. It's hard to adjust to temporary changes in teachers, but even harder when he's going to be worried about her.

I never would have considered sending flowers to someone to be an imposition - it shows her that you care and that you appreciate what she's done for her son. But your son's drawing will surely brighten her recovery.

egoldber
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I agree that I don't think sending flowers would be an imposition. However, if she's in ICU or some other critical care unit, they may not allow them. Stroke recovery varies tremendously. I would ask the director her thoughts. There may be people doing things for her family (meals, food, donations) and perhaps you could become involved in that.

SpaceGal
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I never would have considered sending flowers to someone to be an imposition - it shows her that you care and that you appreciate what she's done for her son. But your son's drawing will surely brighten her recovery.

I guess DH was hesitant about sending a gift or flowers since the other teachers said that she would really love pictures from the kids. So we took that as a note, not to send more than that. She's that kind of teacher if you know what I mean, like for the holidays she told us that as thoughtful as holiday gifts are for the teachers, she and her team would prefer classroom gifts.

Hopefully, when and if she sends home a note home regarding her condition then as PP posters mentioned I could help with meals or other things that would be helpful in her recovery. I just feel so crummy about it all. I know early this summer her husband had spinal surgery and is still recovering so I can't imagine the pain and stress their family is experiencing.

mom2binsd
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I work with stroke patients a lot, I'm in nursing homes so I don't see folks immediately, usually a week or so later....like others have said it's hard to say how long she will be off from work- depending on the severity the stroke it could be a quickly as a 6 weeks or much much longer. If it was mild and she'll be able to go home she may be back soon, but if she will need more intense inpatient therapy it could be a long time. I'd ask the director for a little information in a week or so and then maybe choose something appropriate at that time. I can tell you if she's in a rehab/nursing home type situation she will appreciate a visit once she's settled (and kiddy artwork!).

I hope she's getting the best care and rehab for a quick recovery!