PDA

View Full Version : Are you smarter than your first grader?

justlearning
09-12-2009, 01:51 AM
I feel like my first grader is becoming smarter than me already! I knew his charter school is considered rigorous, but I'm amazed at what he's been learning in class. For example, these are vocabulary words he has been introduced to the last few weeks as part of what they're studying: admired, alighted, apprentice, atom, bay, brood, churn, compositions, damp, foxgloves, gambel oak, harbor, hospitable, island, lobes, matter, mortar, mural, peninsula, quodlibet, scampered, scurried, trowel, valley, veins, argumentative, boast, compass rose, continent, currant, equator, explorer, hemisphere, investigating, map key, mischief, organ, pole, scamper, stonecutter, sway, and swiftly.

He's also already identifying subjects and verbs in sentences, solving complex logic puzzles, learning about Michelangelo and Bach, etc. Thankfully, he won't be given any homework this year--I'm already worried about how I'm going to be able to help him when he gets older and does start getting homework!

Anyone else feeling surprised at how smart your young child's getting?

egoldber
09-12-2009, 07:28 AM
They definitely cover a lot of topics in school these days that I don't remember covering until MUCH later!

Ceepa
09-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Sounds like your DC is learning a ton of things.

BabyMine
09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Wow, I feel cheated. I definately wasn't exposed to those words in first grade.

ett
09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
They definitely cover a lot of topics in school these days that I don't remember covering until MUCH later!

:yeahthat: DS1 is learning some sign language in school and I definitely don't ever recall learning that.

KrisM
09-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Well, DS is in kindergarten, but he's learning Chinese. They have it 3 times a week.

They do seem to cover a lot of stuff I don't remember covering!