PDA

View Full Version : Camera with HD Video vs. Separate Camera and HD Camcorder?

becca_g
09-12-2009, 05:36 AM
With DS on the way, we are looking to upgrade from our compact digital camera to a camera that produces better image quality and has more features. Having said that, we are by no means professional photographers and are also considering things like camera size and ease of use.

We would also like HD video capabilities either in the same camera or a separate HD camcorder. We need help deciding what the best option would be for us ... either:

1) Camera with HD video like the Canon Rebel T1i (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=18385) or Nikon D5000 (http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25452/D5000.html).

Major advantage: only having to carry around a single camera vs. separate camera and camcorder.
Major disadvantage: concerned that HD video might not be as good of quality as camcorder, may be more difficult to use, or that maximum recording time for HD video with sound will be limited (not sure for the Canon but read that it is 5 minutes for the Nikon).

2) Less expensive camera (possibly Nikon SLR without HD video or Canon PowerShot G11 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=222&modelid=19209) when it's released next month) and separate HD camcorder (preferably in the $600 price range).

Major advantage: possibly better HD video quality/options/features/maximum recording time??
Major disadvantage: having to carry around separate camera and camcorder.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or other suggestions?

-----------------------------------

Update 9/16/09:

BHphotovideo.com or jrmusic.com

Both are extremely reputable and i've ordered tons from them (bodies, lenses, accessories, everything!). JR has 5% (?) back at bing.com. BH has something back but it's never reliable as to the % whereas i can count on the 5% from JR!

I agree w/ the PP mentioning the camcorder for the bigger stuff as the kids get older plus the video on the DSLR's doesn't auto focus (?).

Thanks for the recommendation for B&H Photo. Just ordered the Canon Rebel T1i (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613613-REG/Canon_3818B002_EOS_Rebel_T1i_Digital.html) (has HD video) and the Canon Pixma Pro9000 Inkjet Printer (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609356-REG/Canon_3295B002_PIXMA_Pro9000_Mark_II.html). Camera was $100 off, printer was $50 off, and there's a $400 mail-in-rebate if you purchase the camera and printer together. Essentially got a $500 printer for $50. Plus free shipping.

We also earn a ton of extra bonus points on our Wachovia VISA checkcard when we shop online at B&H Photo. All around great deal!

We plan to purchase an HD camcorder at a later date.

Thanks again for the suggestions (and to the others who posted as well)!

Naranjadia
09-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I've got a camcorder gathering dust in the office - at least for now. I bought it shortly after the kids were born, but I find I have always used the recording feature on my regular camera (Panasonic Lumix), simply because it is what always I have on hand when they burst into spontaneous cuteness. It's also in my purse, usually charged, etc.

However, I think in the future when they are doing scheduled cuteness, like recitals or whatnot, I will use the camcorder.

My sister has the Rebel. She's got extensive experience with non-digital SLRs, but she uses it in a tandem with her Canon Powershot, just because the Powershot is easier to carry everywhere. I used a Canon Poweshot for years - highly recommend that line.

LD92599
09-12-2009, 08:57 AM
We just got an HD Camcorder:

Sony SOHDRCX100B HDR-CX100 High Definition Handycam Camcorder

This camera is 1080P (it looks soooo nice on our TV, which is HDTV!). If you go this route i *highly* recommend the big photo stores in NYC, free shipping and no tax (if you're not in NY) and VERY competitive prices.

We also have Nikon D90, which i love the video aspect for ease of use for me, convenience of having one camera with me etc. However.....the video on the camcorder is alot better, more zoom, more recording time etc and the Sony fits in my pocket!

Definitely go with the SLR though vs the powershot!

Good luck deciding!

Laura

becca_g
09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
We just got an HD Camcorder:

Sony SOHDRCX100B HDR-CX100 High Definition Handycam Camcorder

This camera is 1080P (it looks soooo nice on our TV, which is HDTV!). If you go this route i *highly* recommend the big photo stores in NYC, free shipping and no tax (if you're not in NY) and VERY competitive prices.

We also have Nikon D90, which i love the video aspect for ease of use for me, convenience of having one camera with me etc. However.....the video on the camcorder is alot better, more zoom, more recording time etc and the Sony fits in my pocket!

Definitely go with the SLR though vs the powershot!

Good luck deciding!

Laura

Thanks for the info! I am not in NY ... which big photos stores in NYC would you recommend?

LD92599
09-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info! I am not in NY ... which big photos stores in NYC would you recommend?

BHphotovideo.com or jrmusic.com

Both are extremely reputable and i've ordered tons from them (bodies, lenses, accessories, everything!). JR has 5% (?) back at bing.com. BH has something back but it's never reliable as to the % whereas i can count on the 5% from JR!

I agree w/ the PP mentioning the camcorder for the bigger stuff as the kids get older plus the video on the DSLR's doesn't auto focus (?).

codex57
09-12-2009, 04:09 PM
If you want video, you want a dedicated camcorder if the little p&s video mode isn't enough.

For pics, p&s is enough for most people, but if you find you want more, stepping up to a dSLR is quite fun. Still, any video should be done on a dedicated camcorder.

The zoom, autofocus, ease of use, etc. All sooooo much better on a camcorder.

Think long and hard whether you want HD video. It eats up a TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNN of space. Might be completely not worth it to you. Check out the video quality of a SD camcorder using mini-DV tapes. Might be totally good enough and you can save a ton of money that way.

becca_g
09-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Bump for update