PDA

View Full Version : Ponyo or Up or Ice Age Dawn of the Dino??

hillview
09-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Rainy day -- thinking of taking DS (4 years old) to a movie this afternoon. Ponyo looks good -- is it scary? I did read the kidsinmind website but trying to see how kids react. He loved Cars but was scared of Nemo. Other options are Up or Ice Age Dawn of the Dino.

TIA!
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2009, 08:52 AM
I've heard that Ponyo is supposed to be awesome!! I'd go just because it will probably be a better story for a 4yo than the other 2. Sadly we haven't seen any though.

Beth

jenmcadams
09-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I think Ponyo would be the best...although my four year (and seven year old) saw and liked the other two. Ponyo was very very sweet

SpaceGal
09-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I vote for Ponyo!!! It was great and not the least bit scary! A really adorable loving story.

g-mama
09-12-2009, 12:04 PM
LOVED Ponyo! My three boys all enjoyed it and I did, too, which is saying a lot. I don't enjoy many kids movies.

fivi2
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Voice of dissent - my girls 3 y 9 m, were terrified throughout most of Ponyo. They are very sensitive, though. We have two other Studio Ghibli movies that they love (Totoro and Kiki), but Ponyo was too much for them. It may have been because it was their first movie theatre experience, but I don't think so. The wizard, the weird sea creatures, the mom missing, the girl in danger - all of it was way too much for them. eta: and the whole storm sequence - they were freaking out. We would have left, but I was afraid to leave it with them thinking it ended badly. I wanted them to see that it ended happily - still not sure if that was a good idea.

I loved it though!

MaiseyDog
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Voice of dissent - my girls 3 y 9 m, were terrified throughout most of Ponyo. They are very sensitive, though. We have two other Studio Ghibli movies that they love (Totoro and Kiki), but Ponyo was too much for them. It may have been because it was their first movie theatre experience, but I don't think so. The wizard, the weird sea creatures, the mom missing, the girl in danger - all of it was way too much for them. eta: and the whole storm sequence - they were freaking out. We would have left, but I was afraid to leave it with them thinking it ended badly. I wanted them to see that it ended happily - still not sure if that was a good idea.

I loved it though!

My oldest, 4 1/2 year old, also found Ponyo pretty scary. She's not sensitive at all and rarely gets scared by movies, but she didn't like the storm scenes at all. They are just a little intense.

kerridean
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Ponyo...it was brilliant. We just got back from seeing with our 5 and 4 yo.

randomkid
09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
My oldest, 4 1/2 year old, also found Ponyo pretty scary. She's not sensitive at all and rarely gets scared by movies, but she didn't like the storm scenes at all. They are just a little intense.

Thanks for this! I was thinking of taking DD to see it on one of my days off. She has recently developed a terrible fear of storms (and we live in FL where storms are just a fact of life). She's getting better about it and the last thing we would need right now is a movie with scary storm scenes!