PDA

View Full Version : What gear is needed for a young soccer player?

jess_g
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
My 5 year old son is signed up for soccer through the local ymca. I am wondering what he needs to play. I think the y will provide a shirt. I am thinking he will need athletic shorts and soccer shoes. Is the any thing else he will need? Like special socks or knee pads? And how do they keep warm in the fall when its 50 degrees out?

Thanks,

Jessiica.

deannanb
09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
we played soccer this past fall with our YMCA (Dallas, TX) - and got a pair of athletic shorts, socks and a shirt with our registration - shin guards were a few dollars extra through them.

I bought a pair of cleats (see post for comments) - but DS ended up wearing his regular shoes -

ETA : http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=333882&highlight=cleats

I can't be of any help with the chilly weather - it will still be warm for us in a few weeks

o_mom
09-12-2009, 03:17 PM
He will probably need shinguards and socks that will cover the shinguards. You can sometimes find socks with the shinguards built in, which are easier to put on for some kids. For keeping warm, a longsleeve shirt or turtleneck under the uniform t-shirt is what we usually do. A stretchy knit cap if it is really cold and the complain about head or ears hurting. Some thin gloves as well - the 'magic' gloves that stretch to fit are usually enough and pretty cheap at Target/Walmart/Drugstores.

ETA: It varies by league, so check as far as needing shinguards.

JBaxter
09-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Our Y requires shin guards. They supply the shirt & matching socks. We buy cleats and shorts.

mominma
09-12-2009, 03:19 PM
At our YMCA they are given a T-shirt the first day. They play 3 on 3 with no goalie. It is very informal, kids can wear sweatpants, shorts or whatever they are comfortable in. I do not believe the kids needed shin guards or cleats. I think they were optional.

SnuggleBuggles
09-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Shinguard, cleats and a ball. That's what ds needs for our team. He can wear whatever blue shirt (team color) though they provided a colored t-shirt and socks as part of our registration fee. eta- cleats and shin guards were not required but there was no way dh felt comfortable letting him play w/o them.

Beth

Mommy Of A Little Angel
09-12-2009, 03:42 PM
DD is 3 but our league requires cleats and shin guards. They provide uniforms (shirts, shorts, and socks). It is helpful when each kid has a ball for practice to make drills easier. Find out what size they play with (the little ones use a size 3 so I am not sure what 5 year olds use, probably the same though!)

When it's cold, just layer long sleeves/hooded sweatshirts under his jersey. Also, bring a blanket so he can bundle in during breaks and such if it is a really cold day.

gatorsmom
09-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Our 6yo has played soccer for 2 years now. In his soccer bag he has cleats, shin guards, soccer socks that cover his shin guards, a water bottle, some athletic shorts and a ball.

lorinick
09-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Our Y requires shin guards. They supply the shirt & matching socks. We buy cleats and shorts.

same here.

KrisM
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Definitely get shin guards, even if they aren't required. It's easy to get kicked by another kid. In the fall, DS wears sweat pants instead of shorts, if it's really cold.

Other than that, he has a ball, shorts, and a water bottle.