PDA

View Full Version : Children's stores with decent return policy?

sansdieu
09-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I am putting together a wish-list registry for DD's birthday that I plan to distribute to family members (tacky, I know, but after last year's fiasco, I really don't care.) Wishlist.com lets you choose a seller (of course, nobody is obligated to use that particular seller.) I would like to choose those where the gifts can be returned (if, say, the bike helmet doesn't fit her right), but most stores I know won't take returns without receipt anymore (or have severe restrictions on such returns) -- BRU/TRU, Gap, Target. Any thoughts on good stores to include in the registry?

I am looking for a variety of stuff (from the aforementioned bike helmets to Stride Rite boots and random toys). And few, if any, of her relatives have Costco memberships.

I'm located in MA.

ett
09-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Lands End and LL Bean have unlimited return period. You can return Lands End stuff to Sears.

REI carries bike helmets and they have unlimited return policy.

Most stores are getting really strict with their return policy. Target's 90 day return policy is looking pretty generous now considering Baby Gap is 30 Days (and Old Navy, maybe?), Gymboree and Janie and Jack is 60 days (or 180 days with merchandise credit). Pottery Barn used to be unlimited (or a year) and now it's 30 days. Lord and Taylor used to be unlimited but I haven't shopped there in years, so I'm not sure if they changed it.

Most stores will require a receipt for returns. I think Walmart will still take things back without receipt. With clothing, you'll get the lowest ticketed price without a receipt at places like Gymboree, so you won't get much back if you don't return it immediately. Lands End can do a return by looking up the order number, but the credit will go back to the purchaser. I don't know if they will offer you a merchandise credit instead.

I'm in MA too and most of the small independent toys stores around here have short return periods and require receipts.

Even Barnes and Noble now only have 14 day return periods. Borders is still 30 days w/receipt and 60 days w/gift receipt.

Legacy Place in Dedham has some new children's stores - H & M, Crazy 8.

sewarsh
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
The Children's Place used to be 6 months but i just went there the other day and was told it was changed to 3 months. Also Nordstrom's has the best return policy and they sell Stride Right shoes. Also Costco is great as well.

ett
09-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I forgot, Hanna Andersson is unlimited too.

AC Moore carries toys and their return policy is 60 days. They will take things back without receipt for the lowest sale price in the last 60 days.

lorinick
09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
The Children's Place used to be 6 months but i just went there the other day and was told it was changed to 3 months. Also Nordstrom's has the best return policy and they sell Stride Right shoes. Also Costco is great as well.

One problem, I wouldn't go to Nordstrom's to buy a child clothes. To expensive and it's only walking distance from my house. With prices like that the return policy should be great. I think three mts. is fair.

jgenie
09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
The Children's Place used to be 6 months but i just went there the other day and was told it was changed to 3 months.

Did they say when it changed? I have a couple of returns that have been hanging around for a while. TIA

sewarsh
09-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Mine were over the 3 months (they've probably been in my car for a few months!!). She honored my return and totally did not give me a problem but was just "letting me know"...

sewarsh
09-12-2009, 10:46 PM
One problem, I wouldn't go to Nordstrom's to buy a child clothes. To expensive and it's only walking distance from my house. With prices like that the return policy should be great. I think three mts. is fair.
Expensive, yes. But aren't stride right shoes pretty much the same price everywhere? (except an outlet). I do get some great deals there during their semi-annual sale, but don't think that's coming up anytime soon so woudl be hard to put on a registry.

ett
09-12-2009, 10:58 PM
You can get Stride Rite shoes with coupon codes from shoebuy.com and shoes.com. They have free returns. (60 days for shoebuy and 1 year for shoes.com, unless it's been changed recently.)

Momof3Labs
09-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Not fancy, but Kohls has a pretty good return policy.

lines
09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
BuyBuyBaby has a great return policy.

sansdieu
09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I keep hearing great things about BuyBuyBaby, but unfortunately, I don't think we have any in this state (or at least in my part of the state).

Yes, Children's Place is definitely NO LONGER 6 months returns -- it's printed prominently on the receipt and in stores (and that's been the case for at least a couple of months, AFAIK). Old Navy, I think, is 60 days; Bob's is also 60, and Gap is 30 (and no returns on "final clearance"). Children's Place does take items w/o receipt -- but because they often sell the same stuff over and over again, they always get you with the "lowest selling price" -- I've never been offered more than $2 per item, so I preferred to just give them away.

Barnes and Noble and Borders are 14 days now???? it's ridiculous. I was actually going to put some books on the wishlist, but I'd rather just buy them myself.

I think I'm going to do Land's End and LLBean for outerwear and pjs, and REI for the bike helmet (thanks for the idea! they're minutes from my house). That still leaves a lot of toys, though... (a doctor kit, a scooter, etc.). Maybe, I should just do Amazon (they take stuff back, right, if you pay for shipping and tell them it was a gift?)

And I wanted to try Nordstrom's for Stride Rite boots, but the site was down.

sansdieu
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
For anybody in MA or who shopped with them online, how is Magic Beans and their return policy?

ett
09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Barnes and Noble and Borders are 14 days now???? it's ridiculous. I was actually going to put some books on the wishlist, but I'd rather just buy them myself.

Actually, I just checked my Borders receipt and their return period is still 30 days w/original receipt and 60 days w/gift receipt. Barnes and Noble is definitely 14 days now. Borders has an expanded toys and games section now.

satchnbucky
09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
If you have a store near you, Carter's (and also Osh Kosh) is the best! They have NO time limits on returns. If you have no receipt, they will give you a credit for the current selling price (which sometimes, if it's been a really long time, is only $1.99, but at Carter's, sometimes you can find stuff for $3, so that's still not awful). They are super easy to deal with and have cute, inexpensive clothes. Sign up online for their mailing list and they'll send you coupons all the time!

dukie41181
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
BuyBuyBaby has a great return policy.

Their return policy is AWESOME!!!! I have officially 100% given up on BRU...they just don't even compare! Thank the heavens for Buy Buy Baby! :bowdown:

sewarsh
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
old navy is 90 days. i was just there today.

sansdieu
09-13-2009, 09:40 PM
old navy is 90 days. i was just there today.

sorry, my bad.

sewarsh
09-13-2009, 10:10 PM
no prob. just wanted to let yoiu and everyone know. i actually thought they changed it too, but it was their online store that changes. online returns to the online store are only 45 days, but online returns to an actual store will be taken up to 90 days. kinda wierd...why don't they just make it all the same...??

Mirthful
09-14-2009, 12:13 AM
You can get Stride Rite shoes with coupon codes from shoebuy.com and shoes.com. They have free returns. (60 days for shoebuy and 1 year for shoes.com, unless it's been changed recently.)

shoes.com is 60 days now too. They changed it sometime this spring.