PDA

View Full Version : What stroller for Disney?

PAfirsttimemom
09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I posted this a few days ago in Strollers forum and only got one reply. Thought I'd try here, too. We're going to Orlando in Dec. with our two sons, now ages 3.5 and 1. DS1 is a great walker, but I'm sure he'd appreciate a place to ride at the end of a long day at the parks. I have been thinking a sit and stand like the Joovy Caboose might be a good option, since it's not like he's really going to nap in it. And he'd probably think it novel to stand and ride or just have a quick seat to take a break from walking. I don't see too many people on here talking about the Caboose. Does anyone have any experience with this stroller? I've been looking on Craigslist for one, thinking I'm not sure how much use I'll really get out of it. The other strollers I have are a Peg Perego Aria and a Zooper Boogie. Should I consider buying something new for Disney or make do with one of the singles I have? Or even think about renting something down there?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
How many adults are going? Two singles might work for you. I'd plan on giving your 3.5yo a full, comfy seat (vs. a jumpseat like the Joovy) as he will likely need more time in the stroller than you anticipate. At 5yo, my DS1 only needed nightly rides. At 3.5yo, he was in the stroller most of the time to preserve his energy, but also to keep him safe in crowds. Note that both of my boys were done with strollers at home by 3yo, but still needed them at Disney well past this age.

Just curious, have you been to Disney before and do you have a realistic sense for the amount of daily walking that you do? Even the walk from the bus to the park entrance to the first ride is quite a hike for a typical 3yo!

hillview
09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
We travel with a Mac Quest (tall and holds a heavy child) for DS #1 and a Quinny Zapp for DS #2. They are 4 and 2. We used them over the summer when they were 3 and 1. We will use them again in Jan when we go to WDW. We like having 2 singles. DS #1 walks 100% of the time at home but at zoos/WD etc we NEED a stroller.
HTH
/hillary

fivi2
09-13-2009, 08:17 PM
We used two cheap umbrella strollers for my almost 3 yos when we went (bought at Target in Orlando). We went back to the room for naps, so they weren't sleeping in the strollers, but they definitely needed to sit most of the day!

jench
09-13-2009, 10:03 PM
We used a double Baby Jogger City Mini from Orlando Stroller rental. http://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/ last year for a 4yo and 1yo. (we don't own a double stroller, and didn't think we'd get much other use out of one if I bought one - also didn't want to lug it through the airport) It was a great stroller and this company has GREAT customer service, Shannon will really go the extra mile for you! They leave the stroller at bell services for you and then you leave it back there when you're done with it. I think they have a sit & stand too. I think it was ~ $85 for 5-7 days (but check the website for sure).

We are using them again next week! :yay:

BabyMine
09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
We went with SIL and her DD (age 17 months). I took my Bob Duallie and she rented the double from Disney. The only one who rode in my stoller was my DS2. The other children either walked the entire time or rode in the rental. They liked that they could get in and out really quick. We walked for almost 6 hours. The things I liked over the rental was that the sun shade on mine was bigger and has a much smoother ride.

PAfirsttimemom
09-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. Different and great ideas from everyone. Still not sure what to do!

For those of you with the older boys, how often would you say they rode in the strollers? Jench, did you find you were mostly pushing around a double stroller with one kid? Or were they often both in at the same time?

For Hillview: How do you like the Mac Quest? What is the weight limit on that? Also, do you gate check both strollers at the airport?

Mom of 3 Labs: I have been to Disney before but many years ago, and this will be my first time going with kids. We will have 8 adults total with family members, but we may not all be together at once.

Would still love to hear whether anyone has had experience with the sit 'n' stand type strollers at Disney.

And please keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

PAfirsttimemom
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
One other thought: Apparently, the resort community of the house we are renting also rents strollers for $3 per day. Sounds like a good deal, since Disney charges $15 for a single. I have to look into what kind they are, but that might be a nice option if we decide on two strollers and only want to take one through the aiport.

hillview
09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
For Hillview: How do you like the Mac Quest? What is the weight limit on that? Also, do you gate check both strollers at the airport?

DS is 46 lbs and the weight limit on the quest is 55 lbs. We gate check the Mac and usually the Quinny but I have taken it on board for overseas trips so it doesn't end up at baggage claim (int'l flights stink!).

DS is 4 and rides in disney all.the.time -- he gets tired.
/hillary

egoldber
09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
FWIW, my 8 year old can still ride in my Mac. Not that I would want to push her around WDW all day LOL!!!!

PAfirsttimemom
09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Are there other strollers that are especially good for older toddlers?

clc053103
09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Just back from Disney- 4 yo DS rode in a disney rented double for part of the day (his cousins are older and took turns hopping in and out) then at night so we had room for each to ride, we brought a Mac Volo. Loved this stroller- perfect for the older toddler. It can be tippy but I didn't put anything large on the handles. Loved that when folded I could sling it over my shoulder for getting in and out of buses, monorail, on escalators etc.

rmanduh313
09-26-2009, 05:23 PM
i recently purchased a double stroller for my upcoming disneyland trip as well
i have a 3.5 son and a 6 month old daughter
i wanted a double that was compact, lightweight, plenty of shade, large storage underneath, and would accomidate both kids of different sizes
i decided on the maclaren twin triumph
we havent gone on our disneyland trip yet (scheduled for oct.9) but so far i love this stroller
for a double it is very compact and lightweight
both seats have their own shade canopy and storage bags underneath and can be independently reclined
depending on the time of year you visit disney, shade for the older kid is important and most of the sit and stand types only have the one shade canopy to share between the two seats

PAfirsttimemom
10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Great ideas everyone! I'm still having trouble deciding on what to do: Two singles vs renting or buying some kind of double.

Feel free to keep those recommendations coming!

alien_host
10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
So my DD will be 5 when we go, but she gets tired very easily. I wonder if bringing our Mac Triumph makes sense. She's very light (35 lbs ish).

I just wonder if anyone is every concerned about losing their stroller at Disney when you park it for rides? I guess if I have my own stroller it might be easier to spot than the 100s of Disney ones?

Could I gate check our Mac? DH doesn't really want to bother with the stroller (i.e. having to take it through the airport and also back to the room at the end of the day) when we can rent one....not sure what makes sense in our case.

Any advice is welcome!