PDA

View Full Version : Infant's Play Room

dukie41181
09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm going to be putting together a play room for my 7 month old daughter who will be about 9 months old by the time late fall and cooler weather arrives here in MI. I want to make the area grow with her as she continues to meet developmental milestones like walking. I'd really like to be able to do this without major changes to the area. Obviously, she'll NEVER be in the space unattended as we are using a large space in our finished basement.

Here are my thoughts so far...

We have a Step 2 Rollercoaster for her and I'd like to put that up inside (at least when it can't be outside). We also have a ball pit that I hope to have space for. I'd really like to get a Wheely Bug and the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Home and/or Kitchen and shopping cart. Obviously we'll have space for her to sit on the floor and play with stuff like sensory balls and other little toys.

What else should I be considering?

MamaKath
09-13-2009, 09:47 PM
We have a Step 2 Rollercoaster for her and I'd like to put that up inside (at least when it can't be outside).
If it has been out in the rain, you won't want it inside. They get water in them.

I would also look at getting a superyard to help contain the area. Oh and maybe a small kitchen set.

smiles33
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Do you want to buy some furniture too? Bookcase for board books (and later real books when she's older) and some toy storage system? I like baskets on shelves myself (as toys get buried/lost in toy boxes). What kind of flooring do you have in your basement? If it's not carpet, maybe consider a foam playmat or large throw rug?

dukie41181
09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
The rollercoaster is brand new so hasn't been outside but good to know that if we put it outside then its officially an outside toy!

We have carpet in the basement so its nice and soft. I do have one of those shelving units with primary colored bins from Target and a little table and chair for her. When she is older I plan to put out a sand table with beans or rice but obviously not right now because its a choking hazard.

BeachBum
09-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Your post seems to really be thinking about the toy aspects of the room, which is important. But for setting up the room "what toys" are far less important than how you are going to store them. If this is a long term space, you really want to think through your storage system before you spend money on something you really don't want down the road.

My boys are 7 months and we have had the playroom set up for a few months now. I wanted mine so that I can leave them unattended. If I have to attend to something it's nice to have a place they can be other than a playpen. So this space is as baby-proofed as I feel I can make it. Mine is also on my main floor and can be seen by visitors.

My best advice is to get plenty of storage. As you get more toys and books, you've got to have a place to put things away if you ever want them to clean up on their own. We do a combo of baskets, canvas bins, and just putting things on the shelves. We have 3 full sized book cases, as well as various canvas bins on the floor. Larger toys like Laugh and Learn Home, and those leapfrog tables just go around the edges of the room.

We also have a sofa and leather ottoman in our space, which is nice for pulling up and cruising (and mom). Several large pillows are good for snuggling and climbing--so are big stuffed animals. When they get closer to a year I'll add a small table and chairs set. We probably will not do art in here, because I have a space set up on my porch that is more accomodating to the mess.

Hope that helps :)

dukie41181
09-14-2009, 08:26 AM
BeachBum,

Your room sounds great! Would you happen to have a picture to post? I;d love to see it!

Jen841
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Table and chairs?
Music source (my kids are dancers)
Musical instruments (my rock stars play and play)

I agree with the prior person, organization is key!

You may want cover for the carpet for the area that will be your craft area. We have foam tiles, but when we work with playdough and glitter I put down a tablecloth, easier to clean!

sidmand
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
How big is the space? Are you trying to stay away from plastic? More open-ended toys? I don't mind plastic and electronic toys but I know many don't.

The biggest hits for both my DC (boy and girl) have been:

Fisher Price Laugh and Learning Home (you mentioned)
Trains and tracks
Small trampoline
Ball bit (now a small bounce house since we had to upgrade!)
Kangaroo Climber
Parking garage with ramps
Little People things (barn, garage, Halloween house, etc.)
Magnatiles (and/or things to build with)

These are all pretty big though! And they alternate with a tunnel to crawl through (also a big hit), a play kitchen, dollhouse, etc.

Like PPs have said, storage is key! It's amazing how quickly they go through a toy and/or you may want to rotate similar toys. DH thought once we had a playroom the toys would only be in the playroom. Yeah, that didn't happen. And we store toys in the "library," the playroom, the basement, my office, etc.

In the playroom we have a 5 x 5 Expedit shelving unit from IKEA, a wardrobe, another shelving unit along with a big train table that has drawers on all four sides to hold toys, and a small shelving unit with colorful bins. It stays pretty clean with all of that!

BeachBum
09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
BeachBum,

Your room sounds great! Would you happen to have a picture to post? I;d love to see it!

There is nothing magical about my room ;) but I don't mind sharing. I just don't know how to post pictures here.

dukie41181
09-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Alright, so here's how it is so far. I have a 3x3 square "book shelf" with canvas bins for toys and next to that is a smaller toy rack with primary colored bins (like the ones you can get from Target or the like). I also have a few roller storage bins with lids that roll on the floor. Thought those would be good for storing blocks. As far as organization, I think that should do the trick.

As far as other stuff for the play room...we have the Mammut table and 4 chairs from Ikea (I like them because they're plastic and whimsical!). I have a sand tray/sensory tray for when our daughter is older. I still plan to put her Step 2 Rollercoaster down there and the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Kitchen. I'd like to have some soft kids furniture too. The floors are carpeted, do you think it would be important to have those foam squares down for a surface thats a little "harder"? As far as small toys, we have some sensory balls and I'd like to get some soft blocks. What are some other good developmental small toys for little ones? Again, my daughter is 7 months so think about that age range.

We have a couch and loveseat for adult seating as well as a TV and DVD player down there. I got rid of a coffee table that was just too dangerous in my opinion for the space and would be completely unused anyways.

I really do appreciate your feedback!