PDA

View Full Version : Gah! MIL bought an AOE for DS & nephew... need recs.

GraceH
09-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Rant & Question:

Rant: why the heck would MIL buy a carseat and offer to transport DS and nephew without consulting me or older SIL (nephew's mother) - rather, going off what younger SIL (only 20, no kids) said was a 'good sale'?
Errggg!
The install in her car is terrible, loose, maybe 20 degrees, touching the front seat - younger SIL claims it's fine in her car because she has "the bars" (LATCH), but I have not seen it to confirm.

Question: I'm thinking the best option is for her to return it and get a different seat -- I believe she got it at BRU at the beginning of August - she also paid just over $100 for it, so I would need to find an equivalent or better deal...
I'm thinking maybe Triumph Advance b/c it's used for 2 children of different heights (no re-threading), but how are the install issues? Also, is there a better deal than the $110 at Albee?

o_mom
09-14-2009, 07:06 AM
If it is the new one that goes to 50 lbs in the harness, then I might tell her to keep it for that price. It would be a decent seat for rear-facing and then forward facing - it has potential to get many kids to booster age. Still bad as a booster, but in 4-5 years you can get a good booster anyway and not feel bad. In the interest of family harmony she could keep it, just book her an appointment with a CPST to get a good install.

If it is the old one with the 40 lb harness limit... I think you need to suck up and tell her to take it back. The $110 EFTA is a good deal as well for a better seat than the 40 lb AO. The next step up would be something like a TrueFit, MyRide65 or RA50 which are going to be $50 more unless you find a really good deal.

AnnieW625
09-14-2009, 12:04 PM
We had the Triumph 5 and had zero issues installing it, we used the seat belt and it was easier than installing the Marathon. I haven't needed to try installing the EFTA but I can't imagine it would be harder than the prior model.

GraceH
09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, it is the 50lb one, but given the lack of recline angle, loose-ness, and contact with the front seat (I'm thinking a pool noodle or two is needed, but that will make the clearances worse between it and the front seat), I really don't feel right letting DS or DN ride in it knowing about the install.

Joolsplus2
09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
As long as it's tight at the belt path (tight latch strap), the rest of the seat is going to wobble like crazy no matter what. And as long as it's not jammed hard into the front seat back, it doesn't matter if it touches a little. Is it like bolt upright? That's what 20 degrees sounds like...it has a recline angle stripe on the side and it doesn't have to be that reclined at all....it really doesn't matter how upright it is as long as an infant's head isn't flopping forward chin to chest, though.
Any techs near by that can check it out?

GraceH
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I did check at the belt path - about 2 inches of movement (I'm thinking noodles would help this... she has a bench that's bucket-ish (late 90s Accord wagon) ) - the angle of the seat to the ground is about / <--like that (tightening the belt path made it worse) or it's leaning ON the headrest of the passenger seat... I personally might be okay with DS at a steep angle, but for just 1yr DN who doesn't do well in the car...

Also, did I hear a rumor about Sears having clearance EFTAs for $80?

Does anyone know a tech. in NW Indiana, S/SW Chicago burbs? -- Really, SIL, MIL, myself, & DH should have a chat with a CPST -- I've been itching to get certified myself, but the class was last offered in May near me (before I had vaca time at work)...

Joolsplus2
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Ah, ok, I should really trust your judgement on these things <bow and apologize> lol.
Hmmm.... I might know someone around there... Anyone on this list here? http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135 Thought I knew someone else, too...hmmm...

GraceH
09-14-2009, 06:55 PM
South Suburbs of Chicago
Katie
(MissMommy928)
Technician since 2007

Cook and Collar Counties, Occupant Protection Coordinator
Robert
(Robert)
Technician since 1999
Instructor since 2000
CPS School Buses

These I see as the 2 most obvious possibilities, but I don't know where their 'home base' is... maybe Robert would know about future cert. class plans near me?

LOL on trusting my judgment... it's mainly due to this board and you that I know anything. :bighand:

codex57
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, thank goodness for Jules! (See sig).

GraceH
09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
These I see as the 2 most obvious possibilities, but I don't know where their 'home base' is... maybe Robert would know about future cert. class plans near me?

LOL on trusting my judgment... it's mainly due to this board and you that I know anything. :bighand:

Jools - how would I contact them?

Otherwise, MIL has decided to keep the seat because SIL (DN's mother) has 'approved' it... 'just shove something in there to make it stable' she said. (Um, I don't think we should use just anything... and what about the contact issue? :banghead:)

I'm thinking that I might go out and get an EFTA anyway, under the clause that I am responsible for my DS's safety - then present it as, 'look, you can keep the AOE in younger SIL's car, because you have your own seat'. As things currently stand, I don't feel comfortable with MIL transporting DS.

Joolsplus2
09-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Take the base off the beast, roll up a beachtowel under the front of the foot, and no, don't worry about it touching the front seatback unless it causes the airbag light to go on saying the airbag is off.
I'll see if Robert knows anything :)

Sorry to take so long to respond, I'm in the throes of back to school crapola with all three kids (how much paperwork can a parent handle? garrrrrrrgh...)

arivecchi
09-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Unrelated to your question, but I bought Baby Bargains for my mom and my MIL. Figured I wanted them to be more educated about baby gear.