PDA

View Full Version : Cradle Cap

makelifeeasier
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM
My 3 month old has had cradle cap for 2 months. We can't get rid of it. The pediatrician isn't concerned, he said it will go away eventually. Well that is fine, but the poor kid is scratching his face so bad it bleeds. I have to put socks on his hands to keep him for clawing his face and scalp. I have tried cutting his nails, but oops I accidently cut his thumb too. Not doing that again. Help, does anybody have any ideas that worked well for stubborn cradle cap???

veronica
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
sorry you are going through this. We didn't have bad cases with either DC but found that we liked the product "stelaker" from Mustela. It is made specifically for cradle cap. Pricey but worked for us.

You mentioned face though? Do you mean baby acne? If so, then it will go away , otherwise you could put some aquaphor on it to help him feel better.

DebbieJ
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
my DS had cradle cap for what seemed like forever. We would use some apricot oil on his scalp and massage it with a baby hairbrush almost every night.

Eventually it went away on its own.

If he is scratching his face, it might be eczema, not cradle cap.

Clarity
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
If he is scratching his face, it might be eczema, not cradle cap.

My dd2 had cradle cap, and she had eczema. The cradle cap on her scalp was pretty textbook. And that cleared up best with Selsun Blue. I hated using it but it really did help. Now, she also had a red rash like area that extended down her hairline, behind her ears and it got so bad that it was under her neck, and THAT was eczema. Definitely keep an eye on the situation and maybe try some olive oil and soft brush to brush away the flakes on his scalp.

Kymberley
09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
My dd2 had cradle cap, and she had eczema. The cradle cap on her scalp was pretty textbook. And that cleared up best with Selsun Blue. I hated using it but it really did help. Now, she also had a red rash like area that extended down her hairline, behind her ears and it got so bad that it was under her neck, and THAT was eczema. Definitely keep an eye on the situation and maybe try some olive oil and soft brush to brush away the flakes on his scalp.

Which Selson Blue did you use? I went to buy some the other day, and the one that seemed to be the most gentle had aloe in it.

swrc00
09-14-2009, 11:02 PM
DS had cradle cap forever!!! The ped suggested Head and Shoulders, which honestly didn't seem to make a difference. I used a concentrated baby oil gel on his head and then combed it out.

poppy
09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Any baby shampoo with tea tree oil took care of it for us recommended by our ped. I used Cali Baby but the brand does not matter.

ariesmomma
12-06-2009, 01:35 PM
My son has cradle cap very bad also. We were told to massage olive oil with baby brush into his head and let it sit there for 15 minutes and then shampoo. We did it every other day but you can also do it daily.

Belle
12-07-2009, 09:45 PM
We love Baby Shampoo by Mustela, which is designed to treat cradle cap (make sure it mentions cradle cap on the bottle). We also brushed the DC's hair with tiny baby fine tooth comb (the type they give at the hospital) and it helped a lot.

Dream
01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
My DD had cradle cap and has eczema too. We used to oil her scalp with Olive oil and then wash off with Head and Shoulder. This cleared it up. I tried so many shapoos inlcuding Mustela, Disney etc. but nothing worked.