PDA

View Full Version : Installing 2 RF convertible seats???

k_null81
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I currently have 2 Cocorro convertible seats in my car RF one behind each seat. I'm now in need of 2 more convertible seats for our other car since I got rid of the infant seats but would like one's that go up to 50lbs and won't eat up leg room for the drivers side when it's RF. We currently have a Jetta and a Focus so as you can tell we don't have very much room. Can we install one in the center still and the other behind the passenger side? Both cars have the latch? My husband said we couldn't do it that way because they couldn't share the same latch? Does that sound right?

I really want to get the Britax roundabout 50 but want to make sure my husband coud still drive our cars when the seats are in RF position if one has to be behind his seat.

Any thoughts or suggestions! It would be greatly appreciated! I would like to order the car seats this week.

o_mom
09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Your husband is correct that you cannot install a seat in the center using the lower anchors. The Jetta does not allow the use of LATCH in the center. If you can fit two seats next to each other, you can install them using the seatbelt in the center and either the lower anchors or the seatbelt for the outboard seat. Most likely you will not be able to do it using the lower anchors at all as they tend to move seats in toward the center compared to using the seatbelt. However, it may not be possible at all to fit two seats in those positions safely.

I would suggest going to BabiesRUS and installing the Roundabout50 in the car behind the driver's seat. If you were able to fit an infant seat, you should be able to fit a convertible seat there. It will have to be more upright, but it can be as upright as 30 degrees ETA: Once they are older - brain wasn't functioning there! (for reference, vertical is zero degrees and the typical infant seat recline is 45 degrees).

While you are there, make sure that your boys will fit in that seat. If your ticker is correct and they are not quite 2 months old, they may not be big enough for that seat (particularly if they were early). Britax convertibles have the bottom slots fairly high and they require the baby's shoulders be at least even with that lowest slot.

k_null81
09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. The infant seats didn't work as far as giving my husband enough room to drive the car. That's why we got rid of them. We have been happy with the Cocorro's but I wanted something with a higher weight limit for future use in the car we drive the most.

The seats I'm looking for now will be used very minimal. Like maybe 20 minutes a week if that. My husband is currently unemployed so he stays home with the boys and really doesn't need to leave the house except for dr.'s appt's or a run to the store here and there. So the seats won't be used much to begin with.

I'll have my husband look at this thread later and hopefully I get a couple more replies.

Thanks again!

jjordan
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
If the boys are still pretty young, they'll need the convertible to be installed at a 45* angle (or close to it), which means either getting a small shelled convertible (like the Cocorro) or not putting a convertible behind the driver. Since you said you want seats that will last longer than the Cocorro, you don't want small convertible seats, which means putting one behind the passenger and one in the center.

I would probably do a Radian RF in the center and then a seat next to it behind the passenger. (You are more likely to fit the two seats side-by-side if you use a Radian, because they are pretty narrow.)

For the second seat, you could try something like a Roundabout50 (or another britax covertible). The Britax seats do fit together pretty well with Radians. (I don't know how well other long-lasting convertibles fit.) Be aware that putting any large-ish convertible RF behind the passenger (for young babies) will ensure that the passenger won't have much leg room. :)

schums
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Why not just swap cars or car seats with DH? I'm a SAHM and cannot imagine not having carseats in my car. Sometimes it not about *having* to get out, it's *needing* to get out.

o_mom
09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
If the boys are still pretty young, they'll need the convertible to be installed at a 45* angle (or close to it),

Thank you for pointing this out. I got distracted between my second and third paragraphs! :ROTFLMAO:

o_mom
09-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. The infant seats didn't work as far as giving my husband enough room to drive the car. That's why we got rid of them. We have been happy with the Cocorro's but I wanted something with a higher weight limit for future use in the car we drive the most.

The seats I'm looking for now will be used very minimal. Like maybe 20 minutes a week if that. My husband is currently unemployed so he stays home with the boys and really doesn't need to leave the house except for dr.'s appt's or a run to the store here and there. So the seats won't be used much to begin with.

I'll have my husband look at this thread later and hopefully I get a couple more replies.

Thanks again!

Do you still have the infant seats at all? Given these restrictions, what about putting one Cocorro behind his seat in each car and in an infant seat on the other side?

If that won't work, then you may need to consider swapping cars or getting a smaller seat that will work at that recline level. In a few months you can get the bigger seats when they can be more upright.

lorinick
09-14-2009, 03:19 PM
The First Years True Fit may be a good choice. You can take the back off for the first 22lb while the seat will need to be at the 45 degree angle. The seat does go to 65lb, but it is a wide seat and tall with the back on. But worth a look. All the good 50lb + seats all have high shells.

k_null81
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm glad to see I got some more idea's! I appreciate it.

I wish swapping cars was an option but honestly the focus isn't the most reliable car and it takes me 50 minutes to get to work one way so I don't feel comfortable driving it that far from home. I could probably do that on occassion though if I don't get another set of seats anytime soon.

I actually returned the infant seats. So that's no longer an option. I maybe able to get another set of infant seats though a friend of the family that has twins that are a year now so they no longer need them. So that may be an option.

I really wanted to get a roundabout 50 but that doesn't seem to be a very good option at all at this point.

Thanks again! Kristin

o_mom
09-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm glad to see I got some more idea's! I appreciate it.

I wish swapping cars was an option but honestly the focus isn't the most reliable car and it takes me 50 minutes to get to work one way so I don't feel comfortable driving it that far from home. I could probably do that on occassion though if I don't get another set of seats anytime soon.

I actually returned the infant seats. So that's no longer an option. I maybe able to get another set of infant seats though a friend of the family that has twins that are a year now so they no longer need them. So that may be an option.

I really wanted to get a roundabout 50 but that doesn't seem to be a very good option at all at this point.

Thanks again! Kristin

You could do the same thing with the Roundabout50 - put one Cocorro and one Roundabout in each car for now, then when they are older and can be more upright you can change to matching seats in each car. I would just make sure that you can get the Roundabout50 in at a 45 degree recline in the spot you need to right now.

k_null81
09-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks O_mom! Guess we need to make a trip to BRU to check out the seats and see how they fit in the car and the boys.

k_null81
09-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Looks like I may end up with 2 more coco's! We went and tried out the roundabout 50 last night behind the passenger seat and I was eating dashboard and I'm not sure if they even had it angled right for newborns. I do like the coco's though and I did find them for $152 each shipped online so not a bad price. I just need to try and sell my babies r us gift cards so I can put the money towards them.

Thanks again!