PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Pails

TwoBees
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope this is the correct forum for this item.
Please recommend your diaper pail. First time mom-to-be here and I have nooo idea what to do with. Reducing smell is my #1 objective, followed by not having to touch the pail is possible (ie, have a foot pedal) because I am a little OCD like that. #3 is not having to buy refilles (ie, using regular trash bags). So I guess those are my criteria, in that order. Thanks!

Momof3Labs
09-14-2009, 10:44 AM
For DS2, we used a motion-activated trash can from Costco. For smell containment early on, the best defense is to empty the can regularly - whether you use a regular diaper pail or a trash can. For stink control when babies start solid foods, the best approach is to dump the poop in the toilet (where it belongs). IME, no diaper pail can successfully control smell once babies are eating solids.

Now, with the twins, we just put the diapers in the regular garbage and take it out often (e.g. in our bathrooms, we have small cans that hold a grocery bag and take out daily).

stillplayswithbarbies
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I found it much easier to just use the kitchen trash can. Or the bedroom or bathroom or wherever we were when we changed a diaper. It doesn't really smell until they start solids, and you dump the poop in the toilet then anyway. (you are supposed to so the poop doesn't go to the landfill)

Happy 2B mommy
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
We use and really like the diaper champ. We also flush the poop so it's pretty stink-free.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
We've been pretty happy with our Diaper Dekor. Even with diapering twins it doesn't have to be emptied really frequently. I think it does a pretty good job keeping the smell contained although a lot of people said it did a much better job before they switched to the biodegradable bags. I just saw though that as of this month, the company has finally brought the old bags back (I guess enough people complained). When I run out of the bags I have I'm going to try some of the re-released "old" bags and hopefully it'll be even better.

TwoBees
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I found it much easier to just use the kitchen trash can. Or the bedroom or bathroom or wherever we were when we changed a diaper. It doesn't really smell until they start solids, and you dump the poop in the toilet then anyway. (you are supposed to so the poop doesn't go to the landfill)

Why isn't the poop supposed to go to the landfill?

Does anyone have the Diaper Genie II or II Elite? Also, would a metal kitchen trash can with a foot pedal, like a simplehuman one (http://www.simplehuman.com/products/trash-cans/kitchen/deluxe-rectangular.html) work, do you think? (Although hopefully not one that expensive!)

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2009, 02:05 PM

This explains some environmental reasons to flush the waste:

"...Once they are used, roughly 90 percent to 95 percent of the 18 billion feces-and urine-filled disposable diapers enter the household trash stream and ultimately end up in landfills, creating an immediate public health hazard. Leachate containing viruses from human feces (including live vaccines from routine childhood immunizations) can leak into the Earth and pollute underground water supplies. In addition to the potential of groundwater contamination, air-borne viruses carried by flies and other insects contribute to an unhealthy and unsanitary situation. These viruses could include Hepatitis A, Norwalk and Rota Virus.

Although modern, single-use diaper packaging recommends rinsing feces in the toilet, this is impractical and is in fact discouraged by the one-piece diaper design, which does not allow the diaper to be torn apart easily. In addition, rinsing the tremendously absorptive, single-use diaper in the toilet produces a very full, very heavy, very wet diaper. For these and other reasons, it is doubtful that any more than 10 percent of parents actually rinse out single-use diapers as a matter of course.

This unsanitary practice of commingling untreated sewage and solid waste in landfills--of dumping raw sewage directly into the environment--should raise eyebrows among more than those whose job it is to oversee the public health."
http://libaware.economads.com/ddiapermyth.php

Flush the poop when it is more solid, luckily that is usually when it starts to smell bad. If bf'ing the smell really won't be an issue anyway. Just put the diapers in a lidded can in the kitchen and empty the trash as needed.

Beth

sansdieu
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
that explains a lot...

Personally, I have never been able to do what the childcare books call "scraping" of the waste from the diaper into the toilet. First of all, where do I put the soiled diaper, as I'm changing the child, without the risk of her grabbing it and throwing it around? (I'm sure these days, they sell a special "poopy-diaper-attachment" for the changing table). Second, assuming I actually found the place for it, do I leave my child in the room alone while I go and attempt the scraping in the toilet? She cannot be left alone for a blessed second in a childproofed room (she'll attempt to climb the walls, if there's nothing else in the room to climb). And what do I scrape with?? Baby wipes are not flushable; toilet paper will disintegrate from vigorous scrubbing.

And rinsing in the toilet.. first of all, EOOWWW... Second of all, do I then take a soaking wet diaper back into my child's room to the diaper pail, dripping all over the house in the process? And then I have to go back to the bathroom to wash my hands...

I wonder if somebody more technically savvy could set up a poll here, about how many of us actually do scrape off the poop.

sansdieu
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM
One more think (back to the OP) -- I found out by accident (I'd been told about it before by cloth-diapering folks, but I did not believe them) that cans with lids exacerbate the smell problem (as do plastic cans, in general). Uncovered cans (NO lids) are much better at controlling the smells (seems counter- intuitive, I know), but they are safety hazard if you have a toddler running around.

happymom
09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Does anyone have the Diaper Genie II or II Elite? Also, would a metal kitchen trash can with a foot pedal, like a simplehuman one (http://www.simplehuman.com/products/trash-cans/kitchen/deluxe-rectangular.html) work, do you think? (Although hopefully not one that expensive!)

I have the diaper genie II elite and am very happy with it.

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2009, 05:18 PM
that explains a lot...

Personally, I have never been able to do what the childcare books call "scraping" of the waste from the diaper into the toilet. First of all, where do I put the soiled diaper, as I'm changing the child, without the risk of her grabbing it and throwing it around? (I'm sure these days, they sell a special "poopy-diaper-attachment" for the changing table). Second, assuming I actually found the place for it, do I leave my child in the room alone while I go and attempt the scraping in the toilet? She cannot be left alone for a blessed second in a childproofed room (she'll attempt to climb the walls, if there's nothing else in the room to climb). And what do I scrape with?? Baby wipes are not flushable; toilet paper will disintegrate from vigorous scrubbing.

And rinsing in the toilet.. first of all, EOOWWW... Second of all, do I then take a soaking wet diaper back into my child's room to the diaper pail, dripping all over the house in the process? And then I have to go back to the bathroom to wash my hands...

I wonder if somebody more technically savvy could set up a poll here, about how many of us actually do scrape off the poop.

It isn't that hard. :) You're making it sound really labor intensive and gross- it isn't. When we change ds2 in his room and he poops then I set the diaper aside and put ds in his crib while I take care of the diaper. I don't get off every single bit of poop sometimes. Most of the time it falls right out of the diaper, sometimes I give it a little shake. Worse case? I get some toilet paper and nudge it off. I put the diaper in the trash can in the bathroom, wash my hands, go and get ds2.

If we change him downstairs then he is free to get on the floor and play while I do what I said above. Most of the he wants to come with me and help to flush.

They do sell gadgets that allow you to swish diapers without touching the water or diaper.

I am sure the number of people that actually flush the waste are very low. Heck, I was grossed out when my mom suggested I do it when ds1 was little. One day I noticed what a difference it made after she changed him though with the stink. I decided to try and wouldn't go back for the stink reason alone. The fact that it is a responsible choice for the environment makes me happy too. :) I hadn't known why I was supposed to flush it till I researched a few weeks back and now it makes sense. :)

Beth

Nooknookmom
09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Never had one w/ either kiddo, just took them out to the trash.

TwoBees
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
It isn't that hard. :) You're making it sound really labor intensive and gross- it isn't. When we change ds2 in his room and he poops then I set the diaper aside and put ds in his crib while I take care of the diaper. I don't get off every single bit of poop sometimes. Most of the time it falls right out of the diaper, sometimes I give it a little shake. Worse case? I get some toilet paper and nudge it off. I put the diaper in the trash can in the bathroom, wash my hands, go and get ds2.

If we change him downstairs then he is free to get on the floor and play while I do what I said above. Most of the he wants to come with me and help to flush.

They do sell gadgets that allow you to swish diapers without touching the water or diaper.

I am sure the number of people that actually flush the waste are very low. Heck, I was grossed out when my mom suggested I do it when ds1 was little. One day I noticed what a difference it made after she changed him though with the stink. I decided to try and wouldn't go back for the stink reason alone. The fact that it is a responsible choice for the environment makes me happy too. :) I hadn't known why I was supposed to flush it till I researched a few weeks back and now it makes sense. :)

Beth

Interesting. I could do that. Now if I could only talk DH into it...

catsnkid
09-14-2009, 09:47 PM
I have the diaper genie. It's okay. It seems to contain smell. The refills are a bit expensive, I found the cheapest price at BJ's. They seem to last a couple of weeks when we were staying at home. It's sort of a pain to put together the first time.