PDA

View Full Version : Side impact protection in a convertible?

Kestrel
09-14-2009, 01:37 PM
What's the best bet for side impact protection in a convertible?

We were looking at a Britax boulevard, but our big boy doesn't fit well between the back of the carseat and the crotch strap. (Is that common?)

We are currently looking at Recaro signo G2, but they are having shipping problems to our state (WA). I've not seen the alpha omega in person...

Any others we should consider? Side impact is the major consideration, as is fit, since we want him to rear-face as long as possible. (I was shocked and upset when the idiot at BRU said he's big enough, just turn him front-facing. GRRR!)

Baby is 7 months but huge, at 31 inches and more than 21 pounds. The vehicles are an older neon and a '99 Ford Escape.

AnnieW625
09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
We had an Evenflo Triumph 5 which had good impact protection through foam energy absorbing liner but no headwings. The seat is now the Evenflo Triumph Advance so you might want to check their webpage. We were super happy with our Triumph 5. You might also look at the Safety First Air or the First Years True Fit.

We didn't rear face past 12 mos., but the employee who said you could turn around a 7 mos. old should be fired!

lorinick
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Are you looking for TSIP Wings or just side impact protection? I'm not sure what you were saying about your seven mt. old being to big for a BV with the crotch strap. Since he is only seven mts. old. I've never heard of that before. Could you tell us what his weight and height are. That info could help us come up with suggestions.

o_mom
09-14-2009, 02:05 PM
When you tried him out in the Boulevard, did you remove the infant padding?

It is a cushion that goes around the back and sides of the seat and can be removed. It makes a big difference in the crotch room.

The Signo is a big, bulky seat. I would think it would be a pain to get in and out of in a small car like the Neon. Julie (joolsplus2) can probably tell you about it in an Escape as she had a Recaro convertible for a day or so before she decided it was too big.

What are you looking for in side impact protection? There is no standard test for side impact in the US, it is up to every manufacturer to define and certify their own "SIP". Some will label "Side Impact Protection" with just the EPS foam in the head area. Other say "Side Impact Tested" and Britax uses their trademark "True Side Impact Protection" for seats with additional headwings.

Almost all convertible seats, except the very cheapest, have EPS/EPP foam in the head areas. The ones I can think of with headwings - Boulevard, Signo, Complete Air, Radian XT, Advantage (40 lb, small seat). Might be a few others.

KrisM
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Are you looking for TSIP Wings or just side impact protection? I'm not sure what you were saying about your seven mt. old being to big for a BV with the crotch strap. Since he is only seven mts. old. I've never heard of that before. Could you tell us what his weight and height are. That info could help us come up with suggestions.

The OP says he's 7 months, 31 inches and 21 lbs.

I'm surprised that he doesn't fit well in the BV. My 5 year old fits still, although he's too tall.

Joolsplus2
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
LOL, yeah, the Recaros are divine, but absolutely hugely bulky in smaller cars and a real pain to deal with.
The True Fit might be a good choice, it has deep side wings and the built in lockoffs make a seatbelt installation good, though I don't think there's any more crotch room than the Boulevard.... The Roundabout 50 doesn't have headwings, but it does have a very roomy crotch position. Evenflo Triumph Advance is also nice, fits well in small cars, good deep side wings :)

And, seconding the 'did you take out the padding' question.... that would make all but the smallest kid seem too tight in the BV. The crotch strap is a lot shorter than many infant seats, it takes some getting used to, but loosening the harness when you take the kiddo out of the seat makes it easier to buckle. Usually it's only very large 4+ year old boys that are genuinely uncomfortable in Britax convertibles (in the crotch area, that is).

jjordan
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Like the others, I'm guessing you didn't take the infant padding out of the BV.

But, if you want other options that have "wings," then take a look at the Radian XT. I think it has an adjustable crotch strap; at least my Radian 80 does. It will actually last longer RF and FF than the Britax. One down side is that it can't usually be installed very upright when RF, so it takes more front-to-back room than the Britax convertibles. But if you can put it in the middle of the back seat that probably won't be an issue.

lorinick
09-14-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry I missed the height and weight. I saw the age. I'm also shocked that a seven mt. old wouldn't fit in the seat. I have no problem fitting my two year old in that seat rf. I did this use the extra infant padding for about nine mts. but that is likely the problem.

codex57
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm thinking it's the infant padding too. I took it out the minute we started using it when DS turned one. Last we checked, he was 34" and 25lbs or so. Fits fine in it.

I love our Recaro, but yeah, it's quite a bulky beast. Due to its shape tho, it actually fit quite easily in a Toyota Corolla. DW does complain that it's harder to get DS in and out of the Recaro than the Blvd. I don't really notice, but I'm taller so I come at a different angle than her.

cecynavarro
09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Get the Raidian 80. I tested the Recaro and it was so hard to get the baby in and out of the carseat and its too bulky. I've had the Radian 80 for over a year now and love it.

codex57
09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Get the Raidian 80. I tested the Recaro and it was so hard to get the baby in and out of the carseat and its too bulky. I've had the Radian 80 for over a year now and love it.

I dunno if the Radian will fit RF. Especially in that Neon.

bubbaray
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I definitely wouldn't get a RN for RFg in a Neon.

I have 2 MAs and 2 RNs (as well as various other seats) and much prefer the MA over the RN, especially for younger children. Given a choice between the two in most vehicles, I prefer the MA.

Given the age of the OPs vehicles, I'd go with the BV for the SIP. Next choice would be a MA, then the RN. I'd also consider a seat like the TF.

JMHO.

AnnieW625
09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
The Marathon/BLVD might be tight in the Neon too esp. if you and your DH are tall. It should fit no problem in the Escape. You might have to consider the Britax Roundabout, Diplomat, or the Combi Cocorro for the Neon. I'd suggest the EFTA or the True Fit (less the back part that can be removed) for the Neon, but since they are both larger I am not 100% sure if they'll fit RFing in that car though. Good luck!