PDA

View Full Version : Seats and configuration in '93 Camry

elektra
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Since our Scenera is now out of commission, I need to get a new seat for the nanny's car (93 camry no latch). I also need to figure out how to install DS's keyfit in there too.
I don't think the outboard seatbelts lock how they need to in order to install DS's seat without the base, or the Scenera for that matter.
Our nanny used to have the Scenera installed in the center RF with a lapbelt only.
I was thinking of getting the Safety first Avenue/Uptown. Does that have lockoff's? (I'm guessing no)
Should I just do the Avenue (or whatever new seat) in the middle and then just move the keyfit base from my car to her car to be installed with the lockoffs each time?

And then when DS grows out of the keyfit, I'm just going to cross that bridge when I come to it as far as a new seat for him.

Also, in additon to this seat being for the nanny, I would also like to use it for our infrequent traveling.

Joolsplus2
09-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I wish the True Fit were lighter/less bulky, it has fantastic lockoffs. I'd probably move the Key Fit back and forth, it's easier to move the base than to mess with a locking clip, I think. But yeah, the Avenue/Uptown in the middle should be fairly narrow, and light enough to travel with. No lockoffs (right now only the Britaxes and True Fit and Recaros and some infant seats have lockoffs).

AnnieW625
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Not sure how much help this will be but we had really good luck installing our Triumph 5 in the back of the 01 Corolla using a seatbelt, but I believe that we didn't need the extra carseat clip that is used with older cars though. I would head over to BRUS and see if they will let you try the seats out in the Camry. I know the new EFTA is pretty heavy, but the seat will last a long time (RFs to 35lbs) and if you don't have move it a lot you should be fine.

niccig
09-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I have an Uptown and I use it for travel. Installed it in plenty of different cars. My Mum and Mil both have 1998 Civic Hondas. I can put it in the middle with the lapbelt and then my sister and I can sit either side - a little squishy and it helps that I'm only 5' 3".

Will the Uptown be FF or RF? For RF, you might need a noodle or a rolled towel. I always threw a spare towel in the outer pocket of the suitcase. We're giving it to MIL as her seat for the other grandkids as DS will be too tall for it soon.

Also, do you know the trick of pulling the latch or seatbelt along the beltpath? By that I mean, you pull back the cover so you can see the beltpath, and then pull the belt with your hand in the middle of the belt path. When I do it this way, it goes in nice and tight all the time. If I try to tighten the belt with my hand by the seat belt buckle, I can't get it nice and tight.