PDA

View Full Version : Big (ish) gift for 4 yo girls?

fivi2
09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Thinking ahead here...

The twins turn 4 in December - right before Christmas. I have already bought most of the little stuff they will be getting for birthday and holiday, but I don't really have any "wow" gifts. I may not get anything else, just looking for ideas. (doesn't need to be expensive, just something fun!)

Problem is, we have everything I can think of!

They have and love: duplos, unit blocks, cardboard blocks, art supplies, dress up stuff, doll strollers. Have and don't really love: kitchen, playhouse, bitty twins, train table, leapsters, trikes.

I bought a dollhouse (Ryan's Room Home Sweet Home) on major sale at Tuesday Morning, but I don't know if they will be into it (perils of buying ahead!). That will be my fallback gift, but since I am not sure they will like it, I am not excited about it!

Any ideas for a big gift for 4 yos? (Can be something they will grow into)
TIA!

egoldber
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Bikes? That was Sarah's "big gift".

I think a nice dollhouse is a good choice though.

AG Bitty Twins?

fivi2
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Bikes? That was Sarah's "big gift".

I think a nice dollhouse is a good choice though.

AG Bitty Twins?

Thanks for the ideas!
They have bitty twins and don't care for them at all - they are stuffed animal fans...

I think I will wait for a bike for next year... They are so petite and we really don't have anywhere to ride.

I guess I will end up sticking with the dollhouse, I just don't know if it will be a hit. I did this wooden farm thing last year that was a total dud and I don't want a repeat of that! Luckily grandpa saved the day with big duplo sets ;)

If I hadn't bought the dollhouse ahead, I might go with a calico critters house since they love those. But I guess the calico critters can live in the regular house...

egoldber
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Do they have the larger Duplo sets like the dollhouse and the farm? Adding onto that when you know they like them seems like a good idea!

I hear you on the buying ahead. I used to do that and more than once had Sarah totally change what she was "into" by the time it came to actually giving the big gift that I had bought ahead of time!

egoldber
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Could you craigslist the dollhouse if it is causing you angst?

kristenk
09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
How about a playmobil set? Those can be a lot of fun.

Oh, and for the calico critters house, we've discovered that almost anything can become a suitable house for calico critters and playmobil people. My sister bought the Calico Critter's carry case (http://www.amazon.com/Calico-Critters-CC9900-Carry-Case/dp/B00009VE0D) for DD last Christmas. DD isn't too into it, but I love it for the storage! LOL

fivi2
09-14-2009, 03:45 PM
I've considered craigslisting the house. I get conflicted - it was a good deal and they might like it. So...

We may add to the duplos, but grandpa lives near a lego store and likes to buy gifts in person, so I will probably let him pick out a set. I really want a duplo castle, but last I checked they were out of stock.

Playmobil is a good idea... We have a few people, but no big sets.

Thanks for the ideas! I know I am being silly... It just feels like so much pressure with both birthdays and christmas right together - I feel like I have to do something big :)

BeachBum
09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Magnatiles? Quadrilla marble run? Unit blocks?

fivi2
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
marble run... They might dig that! Off to go research those...

I've been thinking about magnatiles. They are definitely in the running...

ohiomom1121
09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
My DD is 4 and she loves to play with her brother's Imaginext stuff. I just saw they came out with a line for girls. She's getting this castle for her birthday in November. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Precious-Places-Palace/dp/B001W1YHZ0
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ll47bTFEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001W1YHZ0/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=165793011&s=toys-and-games)
Do they have any Polly Pockets...definitely not a big gift, but my DD is completely obsessed with them. She loves all the little princess dolls that are the same size too.
I second the Magnatiles recommendation. She could build for hours with them!!!

MamaKath
09-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Playmobil, marble run, magazine subscriptions, daytrip to someplace (build a bear or pottery place come to mind) with mom and dad, museum/zoo/aquarium membership, blocks (shaped wooden blocks are a huge hit here, like arches and frames).

Trying to think of more, if I do, I'll post.

MamaKath
09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Ooh thought of one that has been a hit with my dc. Tickets to a kids show. I don't know where you live, but we have taken dc to Radio City for a show as a birthday gift, got something small to go with it as a keepsake/remembrance. For example- Dora show, Dora doll. Not cheap because you have to get tickets for everyone going, but lots of fun. :)

fivi2
09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Some great ideas :)

firsttimemama
09-15-2009, 08:49 PM
One of my good friends just gave her 4 yr old a 360 degree dollhouse (open all sides) and the floors are so tall that it accepts Barbie-type dolls.

Jen841
09-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Scooters?
New helmets (E just needed a new one)
Big Wheels?
Puzzles?
Games - specifically Zingo
Personalized backpacks, luggage and/or towels
Puppet Show stuff
Legos - we just upgraded to a basic set from Sam's for $40 ages 4-7
CD player and new music - my kids are really into dancing

We just had E's 4th birthday, here are some favorite 'boy' gifts that maybe they would like...
Automoblox
'Box of Dinosaurs' by Animal Planet
Scooby Doo videos
Remote Control Car (F-P Bounce Back car, VERY Durable!!!!)
Playdough sets (Star Wars is the fav)
Soccer goals - can use inside or out

Melaine
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
We are behind you age wise, but my girls sure did love Build-a-Bear. I think making a big trip and maybe letting them buy extra clothes or accessories would go over really well with my kids.

hobie
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
My guys love the blocks with the colored windows, and they work well with the unit blocks.

fivi2
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
You guys have great suggestions!

We already have some of these things (the blocks with windows - they love them, zingo, they did build a bear not too long ago, and a children's show) and you have given me some great new ideas - polly pockets, the new castle from FP, the soccer goals! Thanks!

I *think* I am leaning toward a (plastic) marble run as the big birthday gift and keeping the doll house as the big Christmas gift... Tempted by the thought of new block shapes, though... (and soccer goals, and new lego/duplos, and automoblox, and... ;) )

I will definitely keep some of these other things in mind for them! And I will pass on some of the suggestions to family members.

Thanks for the ideas!