PDA

View Full Version : Changing from an infant seat to a convertable?

Coral
09-15-2009, 10:38 AM
At what point is it ok to change from the infant bucket seat to a convertable? She's currently in the maxi-cosi infant seat which I believe is rated to 22 pounds and 29 inches. She's almost 16 pounds (and 26 inches) now but only 3 months old. I just don't use the infant seat as a carrier anymore, it stays in the car and I pull her out. Between her and the seat, it's just too darn heavy. My thinking is that she would be easier to get in and out of a converatble seat, rather then the infant. Is that even logical thinking? Now, I'll leave her in the infant seat until she reaches the limits if that is what is best for her, but if moving her is ok, then I'd like to consider it.

Of course, that leads to the question as to what convertable seat. I'd like it to go rear facing as long as possible and safety is #1. So far, she's been a great car rider and I'd really like to keep it that way. Size of the seat isn't an issue as it's the only one, and even if there are 2 down the road, my car (Honda Element) will have been replaced by then.

What are the current opinions of the safety first air seat? I know the Marathon is also one to consider. Anything else?

stillplayswithbarbies
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
you can change from the infant seat to the convertible at any time. Some people don't even use an infant seat and go straight to a convertible at birth.

Piglet
09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
The *only* reason I would hold off on the convertible is to not eat into the lifespan of the seat - like if you buy a Britaz you will get 6 years from date of manufacture. If the baby seat will work for another 4-6 months, then you will get tham uch longer on the life of your convertible. Nothing huge, but it might be the difference to get you to a booster or whatever...

jjordan
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
For longest possible RF, then it's hands down a brand new Radian. (I think they are being sold under the name "Radian SL" where the specific Radian model numbers/letters go right before the SL, eg "Radian XTSL".) They will RF to 45# and have a pretty long shell, so they'll last a long time RF by length as well. However it's only Radians manufactured since this month that have the higher RF weight capacity, and they're kind of hard to come by. So if you decide to go for one, you can either preorder now or hold off a few months and then order.

Radians also have an 8 year life from DOM to expiration, which is longer than most seats.

At this point there is no real advantage to an infant seat if you are just leaving it in the car, but there is no rush on the convertible either if your dd fits height and weight limits and is comfortable. Their growth normally slows down a lot between 3-6 months so I don't think she'll be outgrowing it next week or anything like that. :)

codex57
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't find it any easier to get my kid out of an infant carrier than a convertible.

The seat on which the Air was based off of wasn't the most popular cuz it could be hard to get a good install, and the Element isn't known to be easy on car seats.

arivecchi
09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I moved DS2 to a convertible at 5 months and now wish I had done the same with DS1. I just don't like lugging infant seats around and just like convertibles better. Radians looks pretty darn nice and have the highest RFing limits. Other than that, I like the Marathon and the Blvd but those only RF to 35 pounds.

GraceH
09-16-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm the opposite as some of the pps -- I'm still using my infant seat at 23mo -- granted, it barely ever comes out of the car, BUT the OPTION to take it out of the car through winter in Chicago or late-night errands with a sleeping baby is invaluable to me...
We're outgrowing the seat now and transitioning to a new one, and I've needed to do a quick stop for a gallon of milk, only to find DS sleeping, and it's been rough on both of us not to leave DS sleeping while in the store for 4 minutes.

AnnieW625
09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
We moved DD from a Snugride 22 to an Evenflo Triumph 5 (seat that Evenflo replaced with the Triumph Advance) and a Britax Marathon at 7 mos. old. I found both just as easy to deal with. Both DH and I worked full time so we only really used the car seat in the car for the final four months we used the seat, unless we were walking into the drs. office (I carried the infant seat) or in the store where I had it on top of the shopping cart.

DD didn't care much for her Marathon from the time she was 14 mos. old until she was 2/1/2 she much preferred her Evenflo seat. Not sure why but she just did. We used the Evenflo for everything including travel via air, and long car trips; she was much happier. If I had to buy a Britax now I'd most likely buy the BLVD because for almost the same price on sale you get no rethread harnesses, and side impact head wings. If you really like the simplicity of the Marathon try looking at the Roundabout 50, it's almost the same car seat as the Marathon for $100 less.