PDA

View Full Version : Tell me again what I can wash MA harness with?

HIU8
09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I was in DH's car the other day and he must have let DS eat in the car. The straps (grey originally) have a brownish tint to them now and they smell. Can I use a sponge and dish soap? anything better recommended that won't damage the harness?

bubbaray
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, technically, nothing. They aren't really even supposed to get soaked with plain water. *I* have done a very mild solution of Dawn (very very dilute) and water and done a quick dunk after puke episodes. That is contrary to the manual, though.

You can always order a new harness from Britax. They aren't expensive (but their shipping is, so maybe try to order other things, like a new cover/chest clip, etc or go in with another mom you know and do 1 order and split shipping).

HTH

HIU8
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Well, the issue is that this seat will expire in about 5 months. It gets used once a week. Does leaving the offending food spills on the harness do damage to the integrity of the harness (as I assume any washing would do)?

Joolsplus2
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I suppose acids in food (or mold growing on food..) are probably worse than a bit of dawn and a quick rinse... I've never had a problem dunking and swishing my harnesses and rinsing in fresh water, then laying flat on a towel to dry right away...no soaking, no harsh cleaners... personally (some of the 'don't wash!' panic comes from detergents removing the flame retardant, and honestly, if you don't flick cigarette ashes on your kid while driving, there's very little reason for you to worry about that, it's just something the carseat makers are legally required to fret about).

AnnieW625
09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
DD had an accident in her carseat the crotch strap got wet the other day so I quickly rinsed it with some water and let it air dry.

I am kicking myself though for not washing the cover like I usually do in Forever New because I was in a hurry and threw in the handwash cycle with some Woolite and it came out really crunchy even after I re rinsed it to make sure all of the soap was out. Hopefully it gets softer again or I'll be rewashing it this weekend with the Forever New in the sink.

tjham
09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I suppose acids in food (or mold growing on food..) are probably worse than a bit of dawn and a quick rinse... I've never had a problem dunking and swishing my harnesses and rinsing in fresh water, then laying flat on a towel to dry right away...no soaking, no harsh cleaners... personally (some of the 'don't wash!' panic comes from detergents removing the flame retardant, and honestly, if you don't flick cigarette ashes on your kid while driving, there's very little reason for you to worry about that, it's just something the carseat makers are legally required to fret about).

As usual, the voice of reason! :wink2:

Joolsplus2
09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
LOL, this whole board is like that, I can't take any credit for it (though in some other places, I do tend to get drowned out by worriers ;))