PDA

View Full Version : Marathon vs Boulevard

OSU_Kim
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey and need to get 2 convertible car seats. I am leaning towards Britax based on reviews and friends.

With their Graco Safe Seats, I was able to squeeze between them for long car trips. Any thoughts if that would be possible with either of these seats??

Any info on the new CS models? Are they worth it? I have twins so I am getting 2 so the $30 increase x 2 is a lot....

Any pros or cons with these 2 seats would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Kim
MOM to Brady & Keegan (13 months)

HIU8
09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Are you putting them in the second or third row of the minivan? I have an 06 Odyssey and have a MA on each captains chair in the second row. We removed the 8th seat, but I assume I would fit on the 8th seat b/c neither MA overhangs the captains chair on either side.

In the 3rd row, however, I have done a MA on both sides outboard and I can not fit very comfortably between them (I have done 1 RF, 1 FF and both FF back there). I can fit for a short ride, but it's not real comfy for a long ride.

OSU_Kim
09-15-2009, 01:12 PM
They would both be in the 2nd row, in the captain's chairs.

HIU8
09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I had a Graco Safeseat for DD. If you can fit between 2 of them on the 8th seat I think you should be able to fit between 2 MA. I'm not sure about the BLVD b/c of the headwings (my niece has a BLVD, but I have never sat next to her in that seat).

jjordan
09-15-2009, 01:39 PM
If they're both RF in the captain's chairs, you might even be able to sit in the middle of the back bench seat and interact with them that way.

Back to one of your original questions, most will say to skip the CS feature.

And to the question of MA vs BV, there are plusses either way. The big plus to the MA is price, secondary is that the harness goes a *touch* higher so they tend to not be outgrown quite as quickly. Although, both the MA and BV do last a long time.

The pluses to the BV are (1) head wings - which do seem to add safety, and also add comfort in that kids can rest their heads against them when sleeping; (2) no rethread, infinite adjust harness - which makes it very easy to adjust harness height.

For either, check for sales at AlbeeBaby and/or travelingtikes before you place an order.

HIU8
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
I think though, that people on here say that if your car is fairly new and has side impact protection that the headwings on the BLVD may be overkill, but still a nice safety feature. DS and DD didn't like the headwings, which is why we have MA's, but our car also has side impact protection.

codex57
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
CS is a waste of money. Doesn't even work half the time. Only get it if the CS comes in a cover you absolutely must have. If you don't care about a CS exclusive cover, than don't waste your money on it.

Britax isn't the end all be all of convertible seats, altho no one is gonna fault you for buying one though.

bubbaray
09-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I have an '05 Ody and the install is the same as your vehicle. You won't be able to get past 2 RFg convertibles of any make to sit in the +8 seat in the middle. Not gonna happen, unless possibly you push one of the front row seats all the way forwards. Still, it would be tricky.

I prefer the MA b/c the harness slots are slightly higher and I like the cover selection.

bubbaray
09-15-2009, 02:43 PM
With their Graco Safe Seats, I was able to squeeze between them for long car trips.

Presumably, you were able to do this by getting into the +8 seat before one of the SS1 bucket's was put into the base. That won't be possible with 2 convertibles.

With my DD#2's RFg MA, even with a less-steep incline for an older child, there was about 1/2" of room between the front seat and the MA. When she was a baby, with the 45degree recline, the seat touched the vehicle seat.

In terms of width between the seats, it will be doable. Depending on your "seat" size, you'll easily fit between the base of the seats, but the issue is where to put your arms as the raised part of the MA takes up a lot of room.

OSU_Kim
09-15-2009, 06:07 PM
When riding between the SS, I did get in before loading up one of the twins most of the time. I have also crawled from the front seat to the middle as we were traveling down the road. Not the best look, but it beat having to pull over on the highway with no shoulder!!

Thanks for all the advice. Still confused on what to get. I'm thinking I'll take the boys to the store and see if they have an "opinion."

AnnieW625
09-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Britax isn't the end all be all of convertible seats, altho no one is gonna fault you for buying one though.

I agree with Codex on this one. Everyone here seems to love them and they look at my posts funny when I tell them I wish I had bought two Evenflo Triumph 5s (seat that the Triumph Advance replaced) instead of my Britax Marathon. DD was much happier in the Triumph 5 than she was in the Marathon for the longest time (like from 14 mos. to 2/1/2) and we always opted for the Triumph 5 on long trips because we knew she wouldn't pitch a fit while in it. However I will say that if I was told I have $300 to spend on a carseat and can only buy a Britax I would buy a BLVD over a Marathon in a heartbeat.

I don't have a van so I can't help you out with the layout of your seats. Good luck!